this is bothering me...

Old 06-13-2011, 01:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LS2

this is bothering me...

So we live in a pretty small place and there is a hallway, with 2 apt's on each side. well we moved in last weekend and the neighbors are two old ladies and a middle aged lady with 2 grown up kids that supposedly live with her...

There was a STRONG strong odor that I smelt the day we moved in which was a saturday. Didn't think anything of it but it was odd...like a chemical smell... So in the week we smell cigarette smoke and then the smell of pot! in the hallway coming from her door. My kids are like, "mommy what is that smell!"

Didn't smell the chemical smell until last saturday, luckily my kids were with their dad at our old house (he moved back in there while we are in this tiny apt. sucks) I broke down and called my landlord bawling asking him to come here with the cops because this is crazy! I was freaking out that they were making meth next door. I googled what the smell of meth is when cooking and I swear this was it. And smelling it twice! on the weekends.

So the land lord comes and brings the cops with...the worst smell was in the tiny laundry room..it had a white stirofoam cooler in it...The cops/landlord asked the people what the cooler is and why it smells....the lady's daughter said it is coming from the cooler in the laundry room which had rotten meat in it...

uuumm ok...so here I feel like an idiot for crying to the landlord thinking there cooking up meth. But honestly, there selling something....there was a steady traffic when I was home on Saturday night...young adults with cars filled of people...a couple older men @ different times...So she is selling something. I told the cops this and they're like, "oh well next time you smell it if it's the same smell and if you smell weed again let us know because this lady has been in prison for it." UGH really...so I have to wait?! It's like they didn't investigate much into it. I have two little kids and will move out asap if this is what is going on!!

I'm happy to have a roof over my head, but this place sucks!!

My other thing going on is the kid's dad...we have no one else to be the third party because his mom isn't working in this whole deal..shes mean to me. So I was thinking of just putting a modification on the OFP and have it so exA and I can talk about the kids only...? I'd like to be able to take the kids to the house too, to play on their swing set and just sit outside while they play in the kiddie pool and ride thier bikes and stuff since we can't do that here and we live like a few blocks from eachother...So I'm not sure if I should just take the OFP off or just modify it..if I ask to be able to use the house for the kids to play...I think it is almost saying to take the OFP off. ugh these decisions suck. and I think him and I would be able to be ok with talk with eachother...since we are in different homes. The kids pretty much hate it here because there is nothing and at their dads they could just go outside and have all this stuff to play with. Being a SAHM with them right now is hard too with no where to play.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i have a similar parenting set up. its a tough spot to be in. i think with regards to the neighbor i would just anonymously call the police if you smell that again or even just the weed because the cops can investigate further. meth labs are dangerous and explode.

hang in there
Old 06-13-2011, 02:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

If y0ou go back to my posts from ....2007?
I lived in an apt with an active meth addict downstairs.

It was terrible.

I know how awful that is.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Could be crack... the smell is chemical and it disapates quickly. It's not as dangerous as a meth lab but the people who smoke it are creepy and unpredicatable.

Anyway I'm sorry. It's a horrible situation - one I've been in. Tell the kids to be brave and that it's temporary and that life isn't perfect but things will get better. Maybe it's a teachable moment? I used to live next door to a crack addict and right below a 250 lb violent autistic teenage boy and it was horrible. I tried to use the opportunity to teach my son about being a good neighbor. So yah, it sucked big time.But my son learned a lot about respecting your neighbor when we were dealing with it - lessons he carries to this day. I called the police at least once a week - whenever I smelled anything or heard a rukus and eventually they moved. The constant police visits cut down on their fun time. I would have moved, but I own the condo.

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger. (But again, I know it sucks, I'm just trying to give you hope.)

Personally I'd tell the landlord you want out of the lease NOW and I'd go look for another place to live. I'd also call the Housing Authority in your area and see what kind of legal recourse you have as far as getting out of your lease.

But don't forget, it's only temporary. You don't have to stay there for ever. Transitioning is hard. But you and your daughters will come out of this smarter, wiser women because of it.