Notices

First Post

Old 06-13-2011, 10:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Post

Hello.

I am here 4 days sober after drinking literally non-stop for almost three years. My dad died, my anxiety was horrible.... long story short whenever ANYTHING went wrong, i would have at least a sip. By the end I was drinking sometimes a pint of vodka, plus a shot, plus three glasses of wine a day. I am 26 years old. I have an amazing Husband.

I would on some days literally drink from morning to night. It was a two-fold affect for me: I would be tipsy AND my appetite would go away. I would drink before, during and after work. I would drink at home, sometimes would drive after a drink or two because I couldn't really feel it.

I truly believed that alcohol made me a better person because i am a loner, socially shy/awkward and introverted. Because I have anxiety and bouts of depression. Because it hindered my appetite so i stayed thinner. What's better than someone who is skinny and happy and outgoing RIGHT?? WRONG.

It almost ruined my husband's trust in me. I said things and acted in ways i regret. I threw up, passed out, blacked out, got dizzy, forgot things, got angry and physical, screamed and yelled and became a total monster. i stopped caring about anything else. Stopped baking and working out and cooking and playing. Stopped caring about God.

I have never stopped for more than a week or two. I will now. Life is too short as it is.

thanks for letting me vent
Old 06-13-2011, 10:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Vent?? U told alot of my story ... Im proud of ur 4 days... I just want to do one... great work mate.. U can do this.. get a strong support system with u if u can
Old 06-13-2011, 10:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can totally relate. I have lived an almost identical cycle for the past 3 years. I'm only 9 days in, but after my first entire weekend of not drinking, I can say I'm feeling like a better person and wife already. I too, had no appetite while drinking and lost a lot of weight but it's not the right way to do it and my health may be suffering as a consequence. (we'll see after I visit the Dr in 2 weeks).

Good for you for posting and taking the step. I have had immense support in a short time here - and you will have it too!!! Glad you are here!
Old 06-13-2011, 02:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR.

Congrats on 4 days.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR magdalena

I can identify with the way you drank. Drinking was central to my life too.

Detox can sometimes be a little rough for some of us, so please consider seeing your doctor as a first port of call, just to be safe.

You'll find a lot of help support and hope here. Good to have you with us!

D
Old 06-13-2011, 02:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Okay so you are ready? Time to put one foot in front of the other again. Learn to walk. You made a great first step by coming here. Keep it going.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
★May 13,2011★

Welcome to SR! Congrats on your 4 days
Old 06-13-2011, 02:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm so glad to hear that you're ready to quit!! When I was reading about you and your husband, I thought "That is me!!" I have exactly the same history-- man, what my husband has been through with me! The important thing is that we change things from now on! I wish you all the best in your recovery!
Old 06-13-2011, 02:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats Madalena! I could have written your post myself! The great thing about getting sober is you can reclaim your life again. Look in the mirror and be proud of yourself.

:ghug3

Best Wishes To You!
Old 06-13-2011, 03:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I was a wino but I only drank when I was awake.... Kind of like having an alcohol IV in my arm all day long... Gave it up for good (finally!) 18 months ago and am a better happier person all round. I hope we can be of help to you.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome! What is your plan to stay sober? Quitting drinking is just part of it, many of us need to make other changes in order to stay sober.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome! I'm so glad you are here.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Welcome! Your drinking sounds a lot like mine--I just did it longer. I used it as a weight-control aid, too. Horrible nutritionally--most alcoholics (even the overweight ones) tend to be malnourished. I found it SUCH a relief to just put the drinking behind me. Nothing but good things ahead for those that do.

Do you have a plan for staying sober? I find AA to be a great way to live.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Magdalena!

Congrats on 4 days