Notices

Feel like I am being tested

Old 06-13-2011, 04:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feel like I am being tested

Day 13. Yesterday, while playing on the playground with my daughter, I was spinning her on one of those round spinning things (no idea what they are called) and it came around faster than I expected and her legs (sticking out) took me out at the knees. I have a bad knee from a skiing accident when I was 19 and it swelled up right away. This morning it's painful to even put weight on it. It's not like this hasn't happened before, but honestly, being able to go running each day the past 2 weeks was really important to me, a way to get out of my head just for an hour of so. I've been having a really tough time regardless, but that was helping.

This just feels like the Universe being downright mean. I know I am feeling sorry for myself and that's not productive but honestly, did it have to get HARDER? Very depressed.

Hope the rest of you guys have a nice week. I am determined not to drink, but hoping that the emotional roller coaster (actually, mostly lows, so that's not much of a roller coaster, I'd welcome the highs) comes to an end this week.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

So sorry to hear about your knee. I hope you can get back to your running soon. I know what it's like - I have chronic back problems. It's especially hard when you have children to recover from anything (being a mom myself, I know how we're just not allowed to be sick!)

About a month after I got sober, I had a crisis, too: for a couple months my income just dropped off (the first time this had happened in 20 years of being an artist). I was facing the loss of my house while trying to support two children. It was hard to get through, but I knew that adding alcohol would only make it all worse.

This might be a good time to find some other interests and ways to cope. When my back goes out I read, knit, make jewelry and mess around on the computer (oh, and spend lots of time here). Another (fast) way I found to change my attitude is to make a gratitude list. Just sharing here can make a huge difference too. Hang in there.... things will get better......
Old 06-13-2011, 10:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Gratitude

Artsoul, you hit it on the head! There is so much I have to be grateful for and I need to remember it.

Shortly after I posted my 4 year old comes walking in with an ice-pack she got out of the freezer (dragged over a stool to get it) saying "Here Mommy, this is for your hurt knee." OMG! What a little love! I am SO grateful to be gifted with such a sweet little girl, who every day does something to make my heart melt.

I knit a sweater, once (and earned the nickname Psycho knitter) but I should get myself a sketchbook and go back to that, I used to really enjoy it.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you knee improves quickly.

I strongly believe that there are no coincidences. I would believe that this happened for a reason. The universe always gives us what we need, though it may not be what we want.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Your this lass's father... complaining.. after a beautiful day in the park.. U got hit in the knee??

just checking I have this right??

Id go for gratitude from ur point of view...
Old 06-13-2011, 11:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Mom, actually.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So did the kid laugh at you at first? Just kidding. All that aside it may just be the disease looking for excuses to drink again. Life may feel unfair for sure, but you have a great opportunity to help you have a chance at getting it right. We may end up not being as sucessfull as we had hoped, but if we can get there SOBER, we ARE a sucess!
Old 06-13-2011, 11:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sorry for gender confusion.. but the advice would be the same.. be grateful for what u have.. a knock on the knee.. many of us dont have that