Notices

Sobriety and Emotions

Old 06-12-2011, 04:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety and Emotions

Gotta say it is tough this week. I could be accused of being self absorbed, but it was very awkward this week for me.

I have discovered that I am definitely a withdrawer. I cant handle emotional highs or lows very well at all. I dont do relationships. The loneliness you feel sometimes from this is painful, but not nearly as bad as the roller coaster of emotions.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
instant

I don't think we were built defective
Old 06-12-2011, 05:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Definitely not defective, but more sensitive.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eddie73 View Post
Gotta say it is tough this week. I could be accused of being self absorbed, but it was very awkward this week for me.

I have discovered that I am definitely a withdrawer. I cant handle emotional highs or lows very well at all. I dont do relationships. The loneliness you feel sometimes from this is painful, but not nearly as bad as the roller coaster of emotions.
Been a tough week for me too. Hang in there. You are not alone. :ghug3
Old 06-12-2011, 05:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you have abused alcohol for a long time it's sorta numbed your emotional state. In early sobriety it's pretty common for you emotions to be all over the place. This will get better.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hey eddie,
"we were having trouble with personal relationships,we couldnt control our emotional natures,we were pray to misery and depression,we couldnt make a living,we had a feeling of uselessness,we were full of fear,we were unhappy,we couldnt seem to be of real help to other people-".
sound familiar eddie?
these are the bedevilments on page 52 of th big book.
are you still attending AA and if so eddie what action are you taking to eradicate these feelings out of your life?
Old 06-12-2011, 05:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I found that just remembering my dreams would freak me out....guess passing out really wasn't conducive to dreaming....
Old 06-13-2011, 06:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Charmie View Post
hey eddie,
"we were having trouble with personal relationships,we couldnt control our emotional natures,we were pray to misery and depression,we couldnt make a living,we had a feeling of uselessness,we were full of fear,we were unhappy,we couldnt seem to be of real help to other people-".
sound familiar eddie?
these are the bedevilments on page 52 of th big book.
are you still attending AA and if so eddie what action are you taking to eradicate these feelings out of your life?

Hi Charmie.,

I am still attending meetings. I was at one last night and will get in a few this week too. The reality is that there doesnt have to b a reason for these feelings. Sometimes feeling absolutely nothing can be a safe place, but not feeling anything for a long time is a scary place to b in too.

I dont have any answers except I have got to see my sobriety thru today and thats all I can do. My spirituality needs to be developed. /Higher power and god has to come into this as well. I have tried this on my own and have ended up back in bed with a bottle.

Hopefully it will improve.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

sprituallity,God was what saved me eddie.
have you got someone helping you with the steps?
i can assure you once you get on that path things will change...they did for me in spite of myself.
i dd loads of meetings and it kept me safe for a while but i drank again when i so didnt want to.
i knew i was done...i really had had enough so i saught out someobody that was talking about how they applied the steps into their lives..i met a lady onyl twice and asked her to show me how she had recovered.
i now pass on that wonderful gift to others.
my emotional nature was horrendous eddie,i was up and down like a yo-yo...nobody every knew what they were going to get and it was worse when i was "dry".
now im on a pretty even keel most of the time...this was not my natural state.
if you want any help eddie please pm me.
charmie.x