Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

June 10 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

Old 06-10-2011, 05:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

When a newcomer to Al-Anon tells his or her sponsor about the alcoholic conflict in the home, we must realize this is only one side of the story.

At first, these reports of our grievances are highly colored and dramatized by our confusions. A small incident may be blown up out of all proportion to its reality; constant tension, anger and frustration have deprived us of a rational perspective.

Growth in Al-Anon brings us to compassionate understanding of the alcoholic’s deep guilt and unhappiness. As we apply the program day by day, we become willing to acknowledge that we, too, must share the responsibility for the family troubles.

TODAY’S REMINDER

Al-Anon’s challenge to me is this: deliberately to cancel out my thoughts of grievances against others, especially the alcoholic; to face the real causes of much of my misery, and to believe that I can do a great deal to improve my life by rooting out my own shortcomings.

“If you are pained by any external thing, look to yourself for release from it. When circumstances cause you to be disturbed, return to yourself quickly; do not remain out of tune with the Universal Good.”