Notices

Hiding places

Old 06-10-2011, 04:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hiding places

Did lots of you hide your alcohol?

That's 1 reason I knew I was out of control.

Kelly
Old 06-10-2011, 04:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yep, sure did. Had a 'secret space' behind a shelving crate that held four bottles of wine. Now I hide dust and cobwebs in that space...
Old 06-10-2011, 04:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I lived alone so I didn't have to - I went to ridiculous lengths to hide my empties tho.
Shame is a big part of the disease I think Kelly.

D
Old 06-10-2011, 04:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Everywhere.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had a space in the closet that was behind a cabinet. Boyfriend was cleaning up for me one day and found them all include a half full bottle of wine. Shame!!
Old 06-10-2011, 04:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I lived alone with my kids so I did not have to hide it. But I did try to hide the fact that I was buying so much by lying when I would place two 30 packs of beer and a pint of 100 proof liquor on the counter (that was how much I was drinking in one evening at the end of my drinking)....I would always say "oh, I am having a few friends over".....Somehow I don't think I was hiding anything as I was in there every couple nights for the same thing because I only went to two different places. So I guess in a way I hid it but not in the hide it at home sense.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes I did. I turned into a major slob during my drinking days and hid the bottles in my bedroom and bathroom under piles of dirty clothes and in drawers, hampers, closets. I would discard some of the empties in the regular trash but I would drink so much I couldn't keep up with discarding the bottles...so they would pile up under more dirty clothes...GROSS!

I love being in recovery and having a clean house.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Attic.
Home Office.
Garage.
Car Trunk.

In the end I could run to one of my stashes and pour a beer down my throat in the time it took my wife to use the bathroom...and I mean number one.

Insanity.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes.

I also kept booze in my trunk and hid my car keys at night so my wife wouldn't find it. There were several mornings where it took me a long time to find my car keys because I couldn't remember where I hid them.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I had many places where I kept booze. Kitchen cabinets that weren't frequently used, a cabinet where only my candles and such was kept, old purses, underwear drawer, inside winter coat pockets, atache case, inside a plastic compartment in my car, under the dogs blanket in my car. The last place was under the comforter between my bed and wall.
I used to hide a case in the basement then just bring up 6 at a time always leaving one opened on the fridge door. I was forever running up and down the stairs replacing beer -it was exhausting! LOL
Old 06-10-2011, 07:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
★May 13,2011★

I hid mine everywhere! My closet,in the couch,kitchen cabinets,filing cabinets...sometimes I would hide it and forget where I put it because I was drunk so I would spend 20-30 minutes looking for the bottle.lol.Crazy.I had to hide it really really good because my husband would dump them down the drain if he found them,and I couldn't have that! Well,glad that's over.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You don't have to hide anything anymore, slowly you'll be able to relax.
SH
Old 06-10-2011, 08:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Multiple hiding places. Very good ones I'm afraid. Makes me sad to think about it. The silver lining is that this sneaking around and deception got the better of me and I confessed to my wife one night during a really bad binge. Got me back on the wagon this last time so I guess that's the good part. Just wish I could of gotten a handle on things and dealt with it before dragging my wife into all that crap.

Oh yea. I would move mine to various other hiding places while I was drinking. It was terrifying to wake up and not have my bottle where I thought it should be. Did my wife find it? Did I move it? Maybe it's gone and I threw it away ?? Just plain insane way to live.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had a small pickup truck and had installed a speaker box between the driver and passenger seat. The box had an air release hole in it for bass. I had modified the hole to perfectly accept a beer bottle. If a cop was behind me, I would just drop the open into the hole where it would land on a coaster inside and not spill. When the cop passed, I could reach a finger in there and pull it back up. Never had a DUI or open container infraction.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Oh yeah! I think _alot_ of us here did.... Torward the end, there is just SO much "drama" and effort put into planning which liquor store to go to next, where to hide it, how to get rid of the empties, etc..... ALL of that goes away when you start leading a sane life. Like many, I also did the old "vodka in the water bottle" trick ;-) Pathetic now that I look back on it!
..Mike
Old 06-11-2011, 07:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Servant of God

I used to hide all of my pills in different spots in my car. I spent a lot of time worrying if my wife was going to find them and a lot of time in general with that anxiety. That was really one of the big, subtle benefits to quitting. I still have that gut reaction to get nervous when she is in me car but it's just a fleeting thought.

When we tool family trips I spent way too much time thinking about how I was going to transport pills. Using different containers, lining the bottles with tissue so they wouldn't rattle when moved. That's a lot of energy wasted.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Kelly I am proud I don't have to hide anymore. That was one of my wake up calls that I had crossed a line. My mom hid and finding them was one of my childhood tragedies.

I can be like her in all the best ways now instead of the alcoholism that gripped her.

hope you are having a good sober Saturday Kelly and everyone
Old 06-11-2011, 09:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I used to hide my vodka bottle in trunk behind the lining. My ex husband ended up taking the car over and giving it to his son. I never told him I had a half pint still there. What a surprise if he ever finds it. I had various hiding places in my apartment. I used to get ticked because my boyfriend kept finding them. My last binge I hid a bottle so good, I couldn't find it. I have looked everywhere. It was a pretty good size bottle. I guess it will be found when we move out. LOL
Old 06-11-2011, 09:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Among many other places, I used to hide vodka in empty mouth wash bottles tainted with blue food coloring cause my wife never touches the stuff. She always wondered why I traveled with so much mouth wash when we went someplace (in the days before TSA).
Old 06-11-2011, 09:41 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Never had to because everyone around me drinks in the same manner... Not sure if that is worse or not... Made it very hard to even attempt to moderate my drinking