Notices

Looking For Hope

Old 06-10-2011, 10:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Looking For Hope

Hi everyone! First time here and first time posting on a forum, so please excuse noob mistakes on my part. Today I hope and pray can be day 1 sober. I am 48 and have been drinking for 25 years. I consume a gallon of Bacardi a week!! I want more than anything to stop! It has caught up to me now, for I am experiencing pain in the liver area. Hand tremors, failing eyesight, inability to focus and concentrate. I feel so bad I can’t hold a normal conversation with anyone and am always depressed and feel like I am slowly dying. This has been getting worse for the last six months. A year ago it would happen for a day or so, but now it is constant.

I am so scared that I will lose my job, my wife, house etc….my wife is supportive, but I think if I lose my job and don’t stop drinking she will be out of here. Today’s my son’s 12th birthday and I called him for the first time in a year. If it were not for a calendar reminder I would have forgotten. SO SO SAD….
Old 06-10-2011, 10:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

WElcome to the family. If you're looking for hope and support, you'll find it here.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome. When I was worried about the effects that drinking was having in my life, I found this site and it has helped me so much. I know it will help you too. I admire you for wanting to get sober before it's too late. I know you can do it. Today is my Day 6 without drinking. Good luck and welcome.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome-You Are NOT Alone!

Welcome to SR! You'll find lots of company on here. I hope you stay onboard and read through the threads; you'll find lots of great information-that's a promise!
Old 06-10-2011, 10:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, is your withdrawl being supervised? That's a lot of alcohol you were drinking. How you are being safe. Hope you find what you need here, it's a great place.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Welcome to SR! I was right where you are now. That was nearly two years ago. I was drinking 12-18 beers a day, EVERY day for 10 straight years and I was a huge weekly binge drinker for the 20 years prior. I had the shaky hands, crippling anxiety, thoughts of death, etc. I finally ended up in the emergency room, questioning my own sanity. That was the day when I decided that I didn't want to live like that anymore. That was on June 22, 2009, and I haven't touched a drop since that fateful day. Sobriety is better than I ever could've imagined. Lots of us here are happily sober and you can do it, too! Believe me, I never thought I could go 2 days, let alone 2 years, without a drink. Now, I can't imagine ever going back to that "life" again.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm glad you've decided to live a sober life.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Fisrtcav!

Here you will find people with much love and support in your decision to take your life back.

From what you have posted above it sounds like you are ready for a change. But please for your own health go see your doctor and be open and honest about your situation and desire to quit drinking.

This site has value beyond words. Lots of reading here will help you
Old 06-10-2011, 11:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1undone View Post
Welcome, is your withdrawl being supervised? That's a lot of alcohol you were drinking. How you are being safe. Hope you find what you need here, it's a great place.
I fear that I will be hospitalized immediately. I don’t think I could handle that. I don’t want my employer to find out. They will need something from the doctor if I am out sick for a week….so in my mind I am in between a rock and a hard place.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hospital is better than the morgue.
please dont try detoxing on your own.
it can be fatal.
go to the hospital..they will help you..
what good to your family and employer are you if you die?
Old 06-10-2011, 02:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR

Detox is no picnic firstcav - it's always best to get medical advice.

I detoxed on my own - I'm lucky to still be here.

It's up to you to follow any medical recommendations your Dr may give or not so I wouldn't worry about being forced to do anything.

Your life is more important than any other considerations tho - please get checked out and be safe.

D
Old 06-10-2011, 04:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ulverston View Post
hospital is better than the morgue.
please dont try detoxing on your own.
it can be fatal.
go to the hospital..they will help you..
what good to your family and employer are you if you die?
I did not think about it that way. I will schedule an appointment for monday....mom/wife are coming for support
Old 06-10-2011, 04:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome to SR

Detox is no picnic firstcav - it's always best to get medical advice.

I detoxed on my own - I'm lucky to still be here.

It's up to you to follow any medical recommendations your Dr may give or not so I wouldn't worry about being forced to do anything.

Your life is more important than any other considerations tho - please get checked out and be safe.

D
I will thank you!!
Old 06-10-2011, 04:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to hear

and I forgot to mention....this place has given me a lot of things...but the first thing it gave me was hope....

Glad to have you with us firstcav

D
Old 06-10-2011, 05:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

firstcav,
Congratulations on your decision. It looks like you are continuing to make good ones. I totally agree with all the great advice and insight people have provided so I won't try to add anymore. Just know that we are thinking of you. I am so happy that you are receiving support from your family. I think you'll find that most people, hopefully even your employer if it comes to that, are supportive of those making a good life decsion such as yours. Wishing you all the best.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I was drinking two 30-packs of beer and a pint of 100 proof "Hot Damn" every evening. If I can get sober I firmly believe anyone can.

One thing I could not do is find sobriety without a program of recovery. I encourage anyone wanting to get sober to please look into a program it does not really matter which one but the support one can find in them is priceless. AA happens to be the program that has worked for me.

As far as detox goes, I had no clue about it so did it on my own. I would not encourage anyone to do it that way. By the time I realized what it was it was the worst was over. I think that listening to what others here have said about talking to your doctor and considering some outpatient or inpatient programs as they can be very beneficial would be a good idea.

The only thing that kept me coming back to AA and keeping trying was the hope that I felt when I went to my first meeting. I don't have a clue what was said but I felt that I finally had found a way to live and be happy without drinking. I had gotten to the point where I could no longer live drinking and did not have a clue how to live life without it. I had given up all hope until I went to that meeting. I have been sober since. That was 3-13-01. If I can do it anyone can. Take care.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome, good advice so far. My advice is get medical help with the detox and a program for recovery (I happen to use AA). Then take it one day at a time. It's going to take patience to recover. It took you years to get where you are, it's going to take some time to unravel the mess. But the good news is that you don't heve to feel this way ever again, you can recover.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome firstcav. I'll be 48 this year and quit a 30 year habit in January. Guess what? There is hope...it CAN be done and I have faith in you that you will succeed.
Glad to hear you'll be getting help. There's alot I have regretted in the past 30 years but reaching out for help was never one of them.
Wishing you peace and strength.