Notices

Just sharing - my medical today

Old 06-10-2011, 08:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just sharing - my medical today

Hi SR

Went to my private medical exam today, wanted to get one done to see where I was at and what damage I have/haven't done and so what I need to do to be "well".

I don't have the blood tests back yet but as far as a physical exam etc. goes I got the all clear. No swollen liver, good reactions etc - of course without blood groups who knows for certain. Only a week or so to wait till I know.

What I wanted to share was something I only realised after I had left.

I was open with the Doctor about my alcoholism and he was very complimentary on me recognising it and trying to do something about it.

I only realised afterwards that I think he may have been a recovering alcoholic too....

He knew a lot about alcoholics (of course you'd expect that), told me I would have the anxiety of craving for a long time to come.

What missed my attention at the time was that he said to me about attending social events and so on or going out - he said that if someone offers me a drink, "tell them you are allergic to alcohol, that's what I always say and it seems to work".

Now blow me away.....

Apparantly, we may not be alone.....

Ps. note to self - don't go wearing socks with I love beer and pint glasses all over them next time.....
Old 06-10-2011, 08:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is a great story, and it shows how there are plenty of doctors who know how to treat alcoholism, and not judge us, but help us heal. Thanks so much for positing.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you have a good doctor and one that can speak from personal experience in regard to alcoholism - or he could just be a non-drinker.

Alcoholics are everywhere, across all industries....

Oh, and glad your results are good so far
Old 06-10-2011, 08:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I received some medical detox help at a treatment facility once, and the Dr. who treated me admitted that he was an Alcoholic, attended AA and had been sober about 20 years. His admission really helped me, I was struggling with the label for myself. I came to the conclusion that I was probably a high functioning alcoholic because I was successful in many other aspects of life. That admission helped me to start attending AA.

(I've since come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as an HFA, an alcoholic is an alcoholic, but that is another story).
Old 06-10-2011, 09:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Very cool story.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When I went to one of my first AA meetings, I ended up sitting next to a dr. who I'd worked with at the hospitals for years (I was a nurse). Later, when I went on to get addicted to crack, got stopped by the cops, one night (a regular occurrence), one of them pulled me to the side and told me "when you're ready to get help, call me - I'll get you to a meeting, I know of some really good ones".

My dr.,now, frequently asks me questions about addiction, because he wants to get educated. He says they never really got into it much, when he was in medical school, and I think it's really cool. Not only do I have my own experience, but before I became addicted, I was very aware of the "drug seeking" behaviors of people in the ER's. He never breaks patient confidentiality but will give me a scenario and ask "what's your take on this?" or just generalized questions.

I've run into SO many people in recovery, since I began...the customer in the restaurant I worked with an AA medallion necklace, the other one who had the JFT little book in his back pocket. I always smile and say a prayer for them, and those who haven't found recovery yet.

"recovery road" is truly an awesome path, and I've been blessed to meet "people like me" along the way, in the oddest of places

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 06-10-2011, 11:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is a fantastic story. I have been putting off my blood work for a good 3 years now because my previous test showed a high liver count and the Dr. exuded disgust toward me. (I was OK after a few weeks of not drinking, but it could be very different now) I haven't been back since and I know it's time. Stories like these show me that there are caring and compassionate Drs out there and just because one was a jerk to me doesn't mean I should compromise my health!! Thank you for sharing this!!! *this close* to making an appointment!
Old 06-10-2011, 12:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

never compromise youself!