Notices

I am stuffing up!

Old 06-09-2011, 09:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am stuffing up!

I had a really great start to the day I was feeling good about myself! Was posting positive comments on this forum. Then all of a sudden I felt like I needed a lift. I decided to go for a drive to cool off. That found me ending up at the store. I told myself I will just get a newspaper! I didnt end up getting any alcahol but I got a massive takeaway meal. This is the fifth day in a row that I have used food as a means to get through the day now I don't have alcahol.

Did anyone else have this problem early in recovery (nearly 6 weeks sober)? I feel like I always start the day real good then anxieties start taking over.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think everyone has anxiety when they quit Cairns, and yeah some of us do turn to other things like food or sugar...

I think that's understandable in the short term but it's not the best long term strategy. I have the experience and the belly to prove it LOL

Maybe try tomorrow not to buy any takeaway food etc - stick to healthy stuff - see how you go?

If you're getting really anxious you could see someone - Dr, therapist etc?

D
Old 06-09-2011, 09:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks D74. Yes I will not eat any junk tomorrow. That makes it sound a lot more achievable than 'im never going to eat junk again.' I will update on how things go.

Cheers
Cairns
Old 06-09-2011, 10:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Cairns, welcome to SR... I missed your joining post if there was one!
I started to do the same thing..using food as the substitute, but in the end, as I dealt with my issues that caused me to drink, it also helped to curb this other habit of eating to cope.

So congrats on not drinking, that is awesome, don't beat yourself up about the junk food just yet, sobriety is a great focus. But yeah, maybe healthy food tomorrow!

For support, can I recommend that you look in to CADS in Auckland, I am an A lander too....and have found them to immensely helpful..it is free, you can self refer..just ring or walk in. Just google CADS.... a great service.

All the best cairns. Be easy on yourself and keep not drinking!
Old 06-09-2011, 11:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Manz

Great to see another kiwi on this site! Are there many more of us? Cheers for the suppot! I am currently living in Nelson but am from the Shore and may very well be back living in Auk soon. I will google them now. I have been to a few AA meetings in Nelson. Have you done any of those?

Cairns
Old 06-09-2011, 11:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Cairns there are a few of us on here...would be great if there were more as it is a fantastic resource and has been incredibly instrumental in getting me where I am.

I hvae been to some AA meetings in Auckland..and depending on where you are when you come back I am sure I could let you know a couple of good meetings. It was not my thing... but I may be changing my mind and trying it again!!!

That is what happens in recovery, for me at least, opens up your horizons and possibilities.....

Take care
Old 06-09-2011, 11:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have trouble with this for a while too. Then I force myself to eat a salad or something else really healthy, my body realizes how good it is, and then I do a complete 180 and end up eating clean and healthy breakfasts, lunches and dinners for days. Also, if you feel the anxiety ramping up, have you considered pouring all of that energy into a walk or run outside? Exercise has helped me fight my head trips more times than I can count!