??

Old 06-09-2011, 04:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question ??

nephew is a substance abuser. has been for years. i and my parents just cut him off and i need support cuz its hard. is this the right place?

Old 06-09-2011, 04:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes! And welcome. The one important thing you will come to understand is that addiction is a family disease. Your addict affects many people, not just himself. The other important thing you will learn is to take care of yourself. Sometimes stepping out of the way and allowing our loved one to hit bottom is the most loving thing we can do.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You are in the right place indeed, and welcome to SR!

There are a lot of good "sticky" topics at the top of this forum, and I encourage you to read and learn all you can about addiction.

I'd also suggest looking into Alanon meetings in your area. There you will find the face-to-face support of others with loved ones in addictions/alcoholism.

I hope you continue to post, and know that you are among friends who understand.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

(((Laurabelle))) - welcome to SR!! You are, indeed, in the right place. There are a lot of us, here, who have loved ones who are A's (addicts/alcoholics). Some of us are what we call "double winners" - someone recovering from codependency and addiction - I am one of them. Was in a few relationships with A's, before I even developed my own addiction.

SR has been a huge help to me on both recoveries. I am grateful that MY loved ones allowed me to deal with all the consequences of being an addict, kept their distance, and am grateful to SR for helping me to do the same with A's or other toxic people in my life.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy