Notices

Ready vs Want/Need

Old 06-09-2011, 03:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ready vs Want/Need

I wanted to start start a thread about ready to change vs want or need to change when it comes to start with day 1 and staying sober. I'm between 2 to 3 months without getting drunk on alcohol. This is the longest time in about 3 years that I start sober. When I would go through the binge drinking period and start I would stay that I need to change or this time would be different. I thought I change but I would slip and get drunk for a few days straights. One of the reason why I sober now and will be sober for a long time is because I was ready to change how I deal without and not using alcohol to avoid it. I just could not go through life with drinking my problems away. Which is why I was ready to change versus I need or want to change. Cravings are gone and the want to drink alcohol is just not there like it was before.

I know I have not been sober long enough to give a real personal experiment on the subject about this but do you agree with READY vs WANT/NEED?

General talking to the people who had stay sober for a long time.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi ACT10 yes I can totally relate to being ready to change! Every time I wake up hung over I want to change but I don't think I was ever ready to change until now!
Old 06-09-2011, 04:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Good question....ready vs want/need to change.

I guess one could say I was ready to change as it became a matter of life and death for me. I could no longer bear to live drinking but had no idea how to not drink and live. I am thankful that I was presented with a solution, which was and is AA, before I killed myself which was a very real option for me at that time.

I have many times needed to change or wanted to change because I would run into trouble with my drinking. I would want/need to change but it did not last as I was not ready to change.

I hope that somewhat provides my answer to your question. You also said something about time in recovery, I celebrated 10 years a couple months ago.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that point of deciding 'I can't live like this another second' is slightly different for everyone.

I said 'no more' many times but I drank again.

Perhaps I was not ready to do the work I knew I'd have to do, perhaps I was too proud to admit 'defeat', or perhaps I was just terrified of letting go of what I knew?

maybe all little of all 3?

D
Old 06-10-2011, 06:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

For me, I wasn't ready to change until I realized I needed to change. Why change when I felt things were humming a long nicely? Why change my behavior when I believed I was in control?

When things ceased to hum along, when I realized that if I didn't change, things were going to continue going down the pooper, I got ready.

I was not smart enough, benevolent enough or motivated enough to change until it was a case of change or die.

At the time I got sober, I was practicing my addiction through risky sexual relationships, anorexia, drinking and drug abuse and cutting. I was on the fast track towards death. But it took a long period of such obviously disordered behavior before I admitted I was out of control and needed to change. Denial much?

When I first got sober, I was neither willing nor "ready" but I sure needed it.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I truly believe the key is taking action and doing the work. I can want something. I can need something. I can be ready for something. None of those things take me beyond my feelings, thoughts and desires. What is needed is action, action and more action.
Susan
Old 06-10-2011, 08:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Change for me was the fact the alcohol become my master. It has taken everything from me. It was then after the last thing, that I had to offer it. My life. So wanting change became a need to change! If I wanted to continue my time here on earth. I really was at the point that not being here would have been Ok too. The will to live is a very ingrained instinct, but alcohol has the power to numb that instinct. I had to become extremely proactive to safe my life. I have 40 days today and each one has been a interactive surrender to my God/Bodhisattva. Through out space and time.