Notices

Going to confess to the Doctor on Monday...

Old 06-08-2011, 02:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Going to confess to the Doctor on Monday...

Hi there! I have posted a few times before in a futile attempt to become and stay sober. These attempts have lasted approximately 3/4 of a day. Funny, looking back I don't see what drives me to make an excuse to go to the store and buy 2 bottles of wine (maybe 3), only to down them in a manner of a few hours. Humph.

Needless to say I'm disappointed with myself.

I'm going to confess to my doctor on Monday that I drink and that I want to quit this horrible addition that hasn't completely, but certainly will, ruin my life if I don't take charge. Reading around here, many have mentioned getting advice from your doctor is the best thing to do before beginning to quit drinking cold turkey and I'm happy I will be able to tell someone in the flesh about my problem.

Question though: If others have been in this boat before (waiting for more than 5 days before an appointment like this with your Dr.) what did you do? Just stressing about this situation drove me to drink a bottle of wine already. GAH! I'm so confused.

Thanks for any advice in advance.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
instant

The withdrawal effects can be very severe (there is section on this somewhere) medical advice is probably good.

Even if someone is only thinking of quitting they are making a very important first step. I had the resolve to stop today, tomorrow.........today...........tomorrow......... .next week for about a year since my last attempt.

I am on day 25 and I feel the best I have felt for ages. To be free of the torment, which has noticeably faded, is a blessing. Yesterday I had times when I had forgotten about alcohol, it wasn't even in the 'back' of my mind, until I noticed.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Part of recovering is learning how to deal with your emotions without the alcohol. I think we all know from experience that it doesn't make it better, doesn't change anything and doesn't make the worrying any easier.
I know it seems like a long time but if you could just not drink before you go you will feel better and more confident once you get there. Plus the doctor will see that you are serious if you have a few days under your belt.
When I hit my very first AA meeting I was already a week sober. It felt good because I knew and they knew I was serious. I didn't go to the doctor until I had gotten a sinus infection last month...but drinking wasn't an issue so I didn't mention it to her. I had all my blood work done since I was there and the results proved no reason to go further.
I know not stressing is easy for someone else to say but heading out to get more wine isn't gonna solve your problem either.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're going to see your Dr Chickonabike

As for worry and stress? I spent a lot of my early days glued to this site...anything but not drink

You'll always find support here

D
Old 06-08-2011, 03:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back....
Old 06-08-2011, 03:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, do keep reading here and know that we understand how hard this is.

I'm glad you're going to see your dr.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I might help to read some recovery literature to help with your resolve to stay sober. Also staying busy with something like working on a home project can help take your mind off of drinking.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Can you get an appointment earlier than Monday? Most doctor's offices have slots set aside for "emergency visits". It sounds as if you are drinking enough that "cold turkey" would be a very bad idea. Alcohol withdrawal can be life threatening. It really is best to have medical advice with detox. Another option might be going to an urgent care center -- although that would not allow you to see your own physician. Susan
Old 06-08-2011, 04:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would call back to the doctor and ask if you can be called if there are any cancellations.

Welcome back.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow! Thanks for the input. I am going to call my doctor and see if there are any cancellations that I would be willing to go. Screw work - this is my life we're talking about here!

Funny, I was thinking about heading to the store for some more vino, but I knew I had to check in here first. I did and now there's no way I'm going to waste my money on more poison today. Thank you all for your support!

It's amazing how alone I feel going through this process of discovering my "problem", but then realizing that I'm not alone there is this amazing forum which is the best thing I have stumbled upon in YEARS! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!
Old 06-08-2011, 05:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm glad you're going to see your Dr Chickonabike

As for worry and stress? I spent a lot of my early days glued to this site...anything but not drink

You'll always find support here

D

Me too. I was on this site most waking hours for the first month or so. Helped a lot.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reset View Post
Me too. I was on this site most waking hours for the first month or so. Helped a lot.
Me, too!
Old 06-08-2011, 08:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I would suggest that you check out any womens meetings in your area. Even if you are not bent on going to AA. check it out what have u got to lose?