Notices

Can an addict go to AA instead of NA?

Old 06-07-2011, 07:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can an addict go to AA instead of NA?

Ive been going to various NA meetings around town but don't really like the groups that meet when I can make it. Can I go to AA instead? I mean the steps and the program is the same.

And if I do can I introduce myself as an addict instead of an alcoholic? I just can't say I'm an alcoholic. Despite the fact that I used to drink like a fish it wasn't my DOC and I don't even crave it or particularly miss it right now. But I crave my DOCs like a mad dog.

Advice?
Old 06-07-2011, 07:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi

If you have a desire to quit drinking... of course you can attend AA.

AA is for alcoholics... Respect that... By that I mean your shares should be limited to your problems as they relate to alcohol.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh I want to quit drinking all right. And when I stopped 31 days ago It was alcohol that did it-- put me in the hospital after a blackout. And alcohol makes me black out quickly and gives me withdrawal symptoms and I drank pretty much every day.

Its just that now I'm happy it's gone and when I see it it makes me sick. And I crave it a little but honestly I crave cookies more often than booze.

It's really the drugs I miss and that I lust after and need the support system and the steps/program to get past and fill the void that quitting them is leaving.

So if I go to AA instead of NA am I doing myself and the group a disservice? It won't hurt my feelings if people say yes. I'm here for advice.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No disservice, if you limit your shares to your problems with alcohol... seriously, for real!!

My only advice is to introduce yourself as an alcoholic. That's all.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

a lot of people at my meetings will introduce themselves as an addict/alcoholic. Depends on the group regarding how much they care. Some old timers get really uptight about things other than alcohol mentioned, but there are a lot of cross addicts.

But I agree with Mark, try to limit shares to alcohol related issues. AA is purer from a program standpoint than NA is. I know a lot of people who prefer AA meetings to NA meetings.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well given the fact that I've drank enough booze to fill Lake Tahoe I can probably introduce myself as an alcoholic if it would help keep the peace. Better that than no support at all. Maybe I'll just go to NA when I can and if I need an emergency meeting I'll hit the local AA and be selective about sharing, etc.

Thanks Mark.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In my book, and at the NA and AA meetings I attend, alcoholism and addiction are one in the same. Old timers call themselves alcoholics at AA meetings, and addicts at NA meetings, while many simply say they are alcoholics and addicts at both.

Both are but symptoms, using or drinking, of a disorder that the 12 steps are designed to address. I'm blessed that there are no control freaks at either meeting that insist shares be limited to alcohol at AA or drugs at NA.

I get the point, but aren't both programs dedicated to sobriety -- not just abstinence -- but gaining the character and spiritual change needed to live soberly?

Wow, I'm developing a resentment!

But to the original poster, I wouldn't wait to go to an AA meeting only in emergencies. I'd go, introduce myself as an alcoholic and an addict, and share about addiction in general and learn what I can learn. If it weren't for meetings and the steps and a HP, I wouldn't be sober.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So, That must be what they mean when they include principles in the first column of our inventory, LOL!

AA is for alcoholics, many of us have had problems with substances other than alcohol, but AA is for alcoholics... That's the reality... Check out the history and the pamphlet "Problems other than Alcohol"...

Peace
Old 06-07-2011, 09:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

The only requirement for AA is a desire to stop drinking
That is what AA is about. If you have a desire to stop drinking (that does not mean drugging) then you are welcome at a closed meeting of AA. If not then you would be better off sticking to an open meeting where anyone can attend even those without a desire to stop drinking.

I still would encourage you to if you are called on to speak to respect AA and speak either in general terms about your addiction or speak mainly about your problems with alcohol. Or you can just pass. There is nothing wrong with passing.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

go to the aa meeting get a sponser. Do the steps. Alcohol and drugs are not the problem.
They are a symtom of the fact that im spiritually bankrupt....which manifests itself as selfishness...dishonesty....being inconsiderate....and self seeking. My personality has to change. Thats the problem. My higher power can do that.

do that...dont worry bout sharing or what you should call yourself hehe. (:
Old 05-21-2013, 03:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

im tom, addicted alcoholic, as were bill w and dr bob.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

There are many people at my meetings that introduce themselves as addicts and alcoholics. I know that i have abused substances other than alcohol but i always returned to alcohol in the end. There is no "level of craving" meter. You don't have to crave alcohol more than drugs to attend. Many addicts abuse alcohol and their substance abuse and alcohol abuse went hand in hand. Introduce yourself as an alcoholic and addict. I mean, you obviously abused alcohol when you drank and you have a desire to stop. Limit your shares to alcohol. you may even discover that your desire to drink and your desire to do drugs are different sides of the same coin. Understand that if you sway into talking too much about your drugging, the secretary may ask you to pass or steer you back on topic. Look for a sponsor who is a recovering addict/alcoholic. You'll be able to relate more to someone who's abused both drugs and alcohol. If you can't find one, just get a sponsor who has what you want. Good luck in AA!