Notices

a little song in the mornin'

Old 06-07-2011, 04:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

a little song in the mornin'

This morning I came out to the living room where my husband was lying on the couch after getting up with the dog at 4:30. After many days in a row of this new early-morning routine, my husband was pretty crabby. I was pulling the shades slowly back and started singing, "Let the sunshine.... let the sun shine in..." You know the Aquarius song. I started laughing and it caught on making my husband laugh. I've missed this silly, light-hearted girl and it was nice to get a glimpse of her this morning!! Just had to share... being sober rocks!!
Old 06-07-2011, 05:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Sing away Saphira...good job. Your post is inspriring me to sing a little song...do a little dance...get down...well you get the picture...

Have a great day sober.

D.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Yours was the first post I read this morning, and I found myself thinking "yes! That's what life's about!" Made my day - thanks!!!

"It is the dawning of the Age of Aquarius, the age of Aquarius..... (Had to pull out banana man for us today!!)
Old 06-07-2011, 06:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

LOL Love it!!!!!!!
Old 06-07-2011, 06:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Yes, let the sun shine in! Awesome!
Old 06-07-2011, 06:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i am only one week sober, so let me be brief. there is a lot of talk of higher power and complex God issues in AA, which i attend. but, reading your post, i hear the higher power working and moving through you! to me the simple creative happy moments are the ones where God is truly working with happiness and fulfillment. thank you for sharing!
Old 06-07-2011, 07:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Hi Saphira-

I know exactly what you mean and it does rock!

Being sober grants us the ability to actually be in the moment.

Just another benefit.

Kjell~
Old 06-07-2011, 08:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Saphira...love that! I recently bought a balanceball chair for my office and yesterday I was listening to Lady Gaga and dancing away on my chair. I texted my daughter and asked her if she thought I was weird because I'm probably a bit old for Lady Gaga and chair dancing. Like you said though, it was a fun and silly moment and being sober makes me feel young again!
Old 06-07-2011, 08:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm jealous! Hopefully after a while sober I can actually have fun and be silly again...

I'm just grumpy and tired all the time
Old 06-07-2011, 09:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hang in there, erikm02... it WILL get better. I still have ups and downs but the beautiful thing is that out of nowhere moments just come where I feel genuine happiness, which I haven't felt in a long time. It will get better!

MIBluebird...I don't know you in the real world, but somehow I could so picture you on your ball bouncin' along to Lady Gaga and it made me smile. Thanks!
Old 06-07-2011, 09:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by erikm02 View Post
I'm jealous! Hopefully after a while sober I can actually have fun and be silly again...

I'm just grumpy and tired all the time
Hi Erik-

It'll get better, but until it does, why not just give it a try?

Seriously, put on a song and sing and dance to it.

Make yourself do it, even if it feels stupid.

I've learned that sometimes, actions is needed before thought.

Acting our way into thinking... This totally blew my mind, but changed my life for the better.

Kjell~
Old 06-07-2011, 10:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

In early sobriety...... trying to regain my sense of self esteem..I'd put on Neil Diamond singing......"Sweet Caroline"
Old 06-07-2011, 10:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by erikm02 View Post
You can!!! Four months ago I didn't think I could ever be happy without alcohol. Now I'm starting to realize what being happy really feels like. And, four months ago if I would have tried to dance on a balanceball chair, I most likely would have fallen off!
:rotfxko
Old 06-07-2011, 12:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing. So far (this is only day 3 for me) I've had moments of depression/feeling hopeless and down but then I've had amazing moments of that silly light-hearted happy childlike feeling you describe. I love those. I was worried about music when I decided not to drink because it seems like a lot of the music I like is about drinking! I like dance/hip hop music that's all about alcohol and I also like bluesy type music that seems to be about it too. Well surprisingly to me I have found a new appreciation for light, happy music or music with deeply reflective lyrics.

I was sitting at the pool listening to Adele and I looked around me in the sun and saw these kids playing with those noodles that kids use in a pool and I had a silly thought, "wet noodle" and almost laughed to myself (of course I thought of the effects of alcohol ha ha and then ironically the joys of a child's toy!), and then I was thinking of all the different things they were doing with those noodles - floating on them, using them as swords, throwing them at each other, it was just a light and happy feeling and I started to think about poems to write... I love to write but haven't in a long time. Ironically I was so worried that becoming happier/healthier/sober would take away my creative urges... I really thought they were tied to my depression and dark side... but then again I was always too busy going out and partying to even think about writing! So now I have had that urge and started writing again and I feel something different- like I know the pain of what I have put myself through and it helps me to write about it and it is deep and raw, but I also don't have to be living through it in order to write about it- in fact, maybe I have to get out of it to really be able to write about it with clarify- and I feel happier writing about it, it's just weird. Anyway sorry for rambling but I am happy for you and happy for me.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm happy for you too Pigtails!! I love to write as well. I used to write poetry all the time and my dream was always to write a novel. I haven't tried to write anything yet, but I'm looking forward to trying now that I can think more clearly.

I know how you felt watching those kids play with the noodles. I don't think there's anything as pure as watching kids play. They are so wrapped up in what they're doing in that moment...just enjoying whatever happens. Have you seen the movie Knocked Up? That scene where the two men are talking and the dad says, "I wish I liked anything as much as my kids like bubbles." Or something like that. It's really true. I think we as adults need to get down to a much simpler way of thinking... of enjoying moments as they come. I hope you have many, many more simple but lovely moments to enjoy!!
Old 06-07-2011, 08:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Saphira...moments in time as you experienced are so important. They give us hope. They give us a sense of reality.

Crabby has no place in my world anymore. The first few days I was unsure of myself and yes...crabby...but as I say positive thoughts create positive actions resulting in positive results. I try to be a positive patty instead of a negative nellie. Life is too good not to live and not take advantage of the small precious moments that were overlooked by booze.
At work the breakroom gossip was the misery of others. One of the girls said "Everyone is crabby. That is, unless of course, you're emeraldrose". That made me feel good that my positivity and lack of complaints does not go unnoticed! LOL
People notice happy. People notice smiles. It's contagious.

I like to roll down the windows and crank up Dirks Bently's Free and Easy Song!

Life is good sober.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

That is a sweet story. The other day I turned on the music while I was cleaning my house. I started dancing around the living room. I haven't done that since my girls were little. We used to dance around the living room all the time. It made me smile. I had forgotten those sweet memories when I was drinking.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Very nice thread

It has encouraged me to add some happy, silly, and song to my day. And to see if I can find any of that childlike amazement at anything today!
and if not, I shall "fake it" till I feel it!

Happy that recovery is bringing joy back to many lives.

hugs
chicory