Notices

Being offered drinks

Old 06-05-2011, 05:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Being offered drinks

I've never come out to my sisters and said. Hey I've got serious issues with booze. I'm an alcoholic. So I don't drink now.

I visited my first sister this morning and around noon they broke out the beers. I was offered of course. I turned it down. Then I was offered to smoke some weed. Turned that down too. It is normal for them. My sister is a real pothead at 40 years old. She tokes all weekend and sips beers. Her boyfriend will get smashed later in the day.

Around 1pm I had enough. I went to my younger sisters place. She has two kids. Ones a baby. Great husband. Again offered another beer.
Turned it down, and kept helping them with chores.

My sister asked me to pass her her beer a couple of times. I thought about what a taste would be like. Working outside, nice sun, family. I really didn't want it. Funny thing is I was always a drinker with the mindset of what's the point of having just one beer? That's a waste.

I'm not freaking out or anything I'm just a little contemplative today.

It's funny how once the booze is out of your life you don't miss it that much. Like what's there to miss? The money spent? All that work? I remember how much work it was to drink....

But it is a little weird being the guy who does not drink now. After all I was the guy most likely too drink.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

That sounds like a difficult situation.

I had to stay away from alcohol for a long time when I was newly sober. I found it way too stressful.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hear ya! My neighbors were all outside today, bbq and drinks. I walked over to say hi and George pulled out a beer and almost rhetorically asked "hey, want a beer?" I have to say the puzzled look on his face when I said "no", brought a really good feeling to me. Nobody questioned it any further, fi they would have, I was just going to say "I am already tired enough today without adding beer to it"....and leave it at that. It is a little awkward, EVERYONE had a drink in their hands, but you know what, I will wake up feeling better than they will tomorrow and I am okay with that! Have a great night.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My neighbor is an annoying drunk and it keeps me sober! He calls himself the happy neighbor drunk. Real cute, huh? Now that its nice out they sit outside and I hate to even walk the dogs past them. The day of my daughters' graduation party he came over in sweatpants and socks....my other neighbor said "It's ok, everyone knows his story". But it was not ok, not with me. Then he came over after everyone left and wanted to know if he could 'step in'. NO you can't step in. He stumbled back across the yards, barefoot and fumbling for his next step...believe me...seeing people like that is a constant sober reminder that I need to remain...what's the word? Oh yeah, it's sober! There is no circumstance that will entice me to drink after witnessing that.
It's a beautiful day...I've worked 8 hours and am relaxing at home sober!
Old 06-05-2011, 07:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey EmeraldRose -- you're cool! You got a fan in me...
Old 06-05-2011, 07:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Tendencies ....my family still offers me booze...I've gotten used to it...but I am always a llittle on guard around them ...not only will they offer it to me but I recognize they are also my biggest triggers.

So congrats and be careful