Notices

1st AA meeting tonight

Old 06-03-2011, 08:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
2L8

1st AA meeting tonight

I went to my 1st AA meeting tonight not knowing what to expect and was a little hesitant. I sat in the parking lot for a little while wondering if I should go back home and do this on my own or go in and give it a shot. I sure am glad I went in. I couldn't believe the warm welcome I received and how everyone went out of there way to reach out to me. I was the only 1st timer there tonight. It was emotional hearing all of their stories and being able to relate some of them to my situation. 10 people there gave me their number and said to call if I felt the need to drink. I was overwhelmed by how caring everyone was. I've seen posts on here where people seemed hesitant to attend AA. I am now a believer and can't wait to attend a meeting tomorrow night.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you! I need to start going. I've been to one but honestly, I have a real problem scheduling it.

I'll go check where they are in the morning.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awesome! Glad to hear you got a warm welcome. Thats just what you needed when you were nervous to go in for sure!

I still have yet to go to a meeting myself, and I'm 39 days into sobriety.

I know a lot of people NEED meetings to stay sober, and I think they are a great thing. I just personally have yet to actually make an effort to make it to one.

But if I ever feel like how I'm working my sober life is starting to fail, you bet your butt Ill march right into one. But at the moment I don't feel threatened by temptation, and I'm so focused on wanting to stay sober it works for me.

I just hear so many people say you NEED AA to stay sober. That you NEED to work the steps, or else you will relapse. So I don't know...

Don't get me wrong here, some people really do need AA. I think AA is a AWESOME thing. It helps so many people, and it's such a great community! Heck I'm addicted to listening to AA speakers online . They're always so enlightening.

If anything SR is my AA meeting, and its great to know that at any moment I can come to my SR meeting

-Ryan
Old 06-04-2011, 02:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks. You just made me realize I need to go to my 174th AA meeting. Whew.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wonderful news, you really made my day.

I was so hesitant to go to my first meeting. I would walk by the place and try and try to go in.I finaly did it. Nobody bit me or preached to me. It was a speaker meeting and I started my first time road to recovery.

Unfortunately, I started to come up with excuses not to go. This was even after doing service work by answering the phone on Sunday morning for calls for help in a large city from others like me. It was so enlighting.

But, eventualy, I stopped going to meetings and guess what? It was back to the bottle for another miserable seven years.

Now I'm 17 months sober. My point being, it's important (to me anyway) to keep attending meetings and try working the steps to the best of your ability. It really does work. Just keep going back.

I'm so glad you had such a good experience. Keep it up!

Best to you.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i started back yesterday myself. picked up a white chip and put two dates on it. when i had my last drink and the date i got the chip. i am thinking of it as a clock with no hands. i was very nervous and have to say i am still. which is actually oddly comforting. i am thankful i am not hung over this morning and i am sober now - i am on day 5, it's a start.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Journey of Recovery

Fantastic! Thanks for coming back and letting others know how well it went for you.

I went to my first AA meeting because I was in a facility that said we were going to an AA meeting. I went back to AA because I wanted sobriety. That's the difference today. I don't need it, I want it.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't need it, I want it.
I like that A LOT!
Old 06-04-2011, 05:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm glad you had a great experience with your first AA meeting. I remember being very apprehensive about going into my first meeting. Now I look forward to going.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm so glad you all are willing to explore AA....congratulations...

Early on I considered meetings were classrooms for learning how to live sober and enjoy it.
the more often I went...the quicker I learned....

Above the podium was a big red banner....
"Keep Coming Back...It Works""

I did and it has....

I still go often...it's a privelege to be able to pass on what others generously did for me.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's fantastic.
I knew I HAD to go come hell or high water...I had to do it for me regardless of my insecurities about AA in general. I jumped right in with both feet and so glad I did. That's where all my friends are. They are my true friends. I can trust them. You need that in sobriety. Especially early sobriety.
That makes it so much easier to go next week...keep going...!