Notices

First time with Withdrawl: What am I in for here??

Old 06-03-2011, 07:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First time with Withdrawl: What am I in for here??

Hey guys. I am on my third day of not drinking. Sad as it sounds, that is a record for me. I'm going through some worrying physical symptoms and I was wondering if this is part of withdrawl.

I feel a strange heaviness and sleepiness alternating with bouts of overexcitement.

My heart pounds and my head swims. I feel real dizzy.

I have these very very vivid dreams/nightmares. Probably my brain has so many dreams stored up that it couldn't do because I was drunk every night.

My vision has spotting in it, like I am looking through a pixilated screen.

I am so anxious. Although I think I am probably always like that, I just usually drank it out.

I know not to ask medical advice here, and I don't really think I am in danger. But I was hoping to feel healthy once I quit drinking and I am feeling really sick.
Is this going to stop soon? Is this withdrawls?

Thanks., InAJar

P.S. I am so grateful for this forum and for all of your help. I am quite alone with this otherwise. I'm trying to pluck up the courage to seek out a support group, but I haven't yet.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job on the 3 days!

I would highly recommend seeking advice from a doctor on your symptoms. Sometimes withdrawal can be dangerous.

As far as feeling good in my experience it took a good few weeks before I started notice the physical effects. The mental effects were much faster on improving.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi InAJar

It was common for me to feel sick in the ways you describe for at least 4-5 days...

but anything that includes heart pounding? you really should go and see a Dr - at least get your vitals checked.

D
Old 06-03-2011, 07:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Seek medical attention ASAP.

Well, I have had lessened effects of withdraw by seeking the assistance of a doctor. I was given a very limited supply of medication that eased the withdraw symptoms. Not only lessened symptoms but without a doctors guidance I faced the possibility of serious consequences that included server seizures or death.

After I was over the critical stuff it took me about 60-80 days before I was stabilized enough to start working a program of recovery. Before that I was just hanging on one minuet/hour/day at a time without alcohol or drugs.

So, don't delay, get checked out at an ER as as soon as humanly possible. This is you life after all.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Inajar...glad you're here.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Inajar, you will find tons of encouragement and great moral support here but now you need a doctor, don't take any chances.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html