If you pray

Old 06-03-2011, 02:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

If you pray

My brother and family could use your prayers.
Today I got a text message from him and had to call the police.
He attempted suicide - not a cry for help but a genuine attempt.

He's at the hospital now with my 70 year old Dad. I'm 500 miles away and of no use.

I have not spoken to my brother since November. His drug use, lies and the torture his addiction has put us all through is sometimes too much for me to bear. He's run through tens of thousands in just a few months.

His life is miserable because of the choices he's made, but no one deserves that kind of misery no matter what.

He's my big brother, and I love him and want him to survive and be the man I know he's capable of being, but all I can do is pray and try to stay healthy myself.

I know there's an endless number of people out there going through similar things with their spouses, children, parents, siblings and loved ones. I'm praying for all of us to have strength and courage and hope.

Thank you for reading.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your brother and you, your family are in my prayers. Please be kind to yourself and remember to breathe.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thoughts & prayers going out to you & your family.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

(((SisDebbie)))
I'm praying for your brother, and you and your family.....
Old 06-03-2011, 06:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

My prayers go out also, SisDebbie, for your brother and you and your family.

Addiction does terrible things to people, and to their families as well.

It helps me to put my son in God's hands because I know that there is nothing more I can do myself.

Please know that many of us here have been where you are and truly understand.

Hugs
Old 06-03-2011, 09:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you

I hope you all know (and am sure you do) how much it means to be able to come here and post, and know that others understand. Thank you all for your prayers, hugs, or even just reading what I wrote.

Chino, your reminder to breathe is so welcome and appreciated. It's amazing how we forget the most basic things.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Your brother, you and your family are in my prayers today.

and gentle hugs too
ke
Old 06-04-2011, 10:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

(((SisDebbie)))

I am praying for you and your family.

I have an AD and the prayers and love of others have sustained Mr. Habit and me during the darkest hours.

I know our AD is in God's Hands. And, that's a good place to be.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

(((SisDebbie))) - more prayers being said for you and your family.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 06-04-2011, 04:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Praying for your brother, you and your family Although we can try to detach with love, it doesn't mean such things as you just experienced don't cause pain and sadness. I hope you all find comfort and peace.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

sorry you are going through all of this...definitely knowing what you are going through...~keeping you in my prayers
~Maggie~
Old 06-04-2011, 05:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sending prayers for you, your brother, and the rest of your family. I also know what it is like, as I have been through this with my mother.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

sending prayers to all of you. I hope that things are going okay. Breathing always helps me and allows me to gather the courage, grace, and presence to take the next step and confront the next moment.

I will continue to say prayers and sending thoughts of healing and grace.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Praying for your brother and your family. God help us all. Take it easy

Hugs,
Old 06-05-2011, 07:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sending heartfelt prayers up, praying for God to send someone to help your brother, to give you and your father courage and peace, and that your brother gets the help he needs. My heart goes out to you.
hugs
chicory
Old 06-06-2011, 07:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Prayers from me.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you all so very much.

The last 3 weeks has been quite amazing.
My brother has continued to express an understanding that he's here for a reason and acknowledged that there is hope for a better future. He's been praying and has had the love and support of so many wonderful people.

I'm feeling a great deal of hope right now, but am aware that I'm not in charge of what is meant to be.

Much gratitude for all of your thoughts and prayers, and sending them right back to you.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Everything was going along swimmingly, but things are really difficult right now. We're staying with a relative until he makes decisions. He has a wonderful counselor that's been a huge help. He's now facing charges and dragging his heels about doing the things he needs to do - call a lawyer then decide on a treatment program.

Caught him in the last 24 hours with alcohol, then prescription cough medicine and it's possible some other Rx is missing, too. These things were put away, but not well enough. He took all this when I was here alone with him and that is so disappointing. I noticed a change in his behavior and now it makes sense, but he's being crappy to me for noticing and then finding this stuff. I know it shouldn't bother me that he's mad, but it really does. I'm sad, scared, frustrated. I feel totally manipulated. Searching through his stuff STUNK and telling him I found it was even worse.

Our relative is unhappy about him invading her privacy and taking her things, but handling it well with him at least from my perspective. Very direct, no judgement and not emotional. He went to bed thinking we are kicked out of here tomorrow which isn't what she actually said. She said he's got to start making progress and making decisions and that she can't be responsible for someone taking drugs. She's upset that he found these things when she thought they were safely away.

How on earth do people live like this?

And somewhere along the line I forgot to pray, forgot to breath and forgot that I'm not in control of all this.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Im sorry SisDebbie. I can imagine how tired and discouraged you might be feeling today.

I have to remind myself that i am not in control of others , and have to remind myself to pray too. Waiting for things to go right is so frustrating.
Is your brother facing jail time? I ask, because sometimes it seems the very safest place for them is in jail.
Remember the serenity prayer, and hold onto it tightly. It helps me when nothing else does.

prayers for your brother, and for peace for your family and you,
chicory
Old 07-12-2011, 08:59 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
ThatLittleGirl

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!!!