Notices

Class of June 2011

Old 06-02-2011, 09:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of June 2011

for anyone who's recently quit in the month of June - or those who are trying to - please join us here for support!

:ghug3
D
Old 06-03-2011, 01:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

New

Hi everyone
I have been lurking on this site for around a month now and have found a lot of inspiration reading the posts. I now feel like I need to become more active in my quest for sobriety. I have been sober for 5 weeks now. I have managed to do this many times before but usually relapse before 12 weeks. I want to try put steps in place to make this different. I went to two AA meetings in the first week which I found quite helpful. I am quite shy and have not been since. Anyone have any ideas on finding motivation? I am currently reading the big book online which is also very helpful
Old 06-03-2011, 01:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome aboard

Personally I find a lot of motivation here Cairns - whether reading or posting

I think whatever you do in early recovery, whether it's SR AA or whatever you need to do it regularly.

Learning to live sober is a skill like any other IMO - we need to develop and strengthen our 'sober muscles'

D
Old 06-03-2011, 05:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi cairns....congrats on your 5 weeks, I'm at about the same stage. Ive found going to AA meetings a massive help. I've managed to quit for up to 4 months at various times in the past, but each time I've gone back to drinking moderately initially, then before long I'm on the binges again. What's different this time is the support I get from other sober people, and those that have lived successfully sober for years, decades even. What's different this time is that I've had to be brutally honest with myself and acknowledge that although I didn't drink in the morning, or drink everyday, I still drank alcoholically. I've always been an alcoholic, and there's a solution in AA, if I want what others have - I need to do what they did.
I'm shy too and tend to isolate, but this forum and meetings have shown me in a short space of time that I can't do this alone.
Try more meetings if you can, its really helping me so far.
Stick around
Old 06-03-2011, 02:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello.... I'm back again after more relapses - family member leaving for Australia, friends birthday party, etc.

Always seems to be an excuse and that's all they are... excuses to try to justify to ourselves that we're not alcoholics.

Well here's hoping that this time's different.... actually, that's a way of thinking that I need to change - here's KNOWING that this time's different.

There's a work party tonight but I've avoided it because I'm too early on this recovery - today's only day 4 (again) for me

I'm going to spend more often on soberrecovery this time around and avoid events like birthday's like the plague until I'm able to handle them.

Good luck to everyone starting their journey with me. I hope we can be successful this time round....
Old 06-03-2011, 03:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi All: I'm back too--now a member of the June club, coming up on the end of Day Two and finally starting to shake some of the really bad withdrawal. I am determined to stick with the June club this time around and am detoxing with my doctors help and asking for a lot of support and sticking to SR. Glad to meet you other Juners, and I am with itsabout time, avoiding any kind of things that are going to lead to another relapse. We can do this together!
Old 06-03-2011, 04:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi all... I had previously joined the May group but May fell apart. Back on for round 2, and on day 2. My motivation is to be healthy and start a family. And honestly - to get the nightly benders and morning dry-mouth/spacey brain away. I think my work would improve, and overall quality life will be better when I can remember it all!

Toughest part for me is going home at night - stopped at the store had become a routine. Finding new stuff and springtime definitely helps but with it comes the summer bevies. Tonights distraction is pedicure, then packing for a mini-break weekend! Sunny beach and golf weekend here I come! It's the activities that used to have a bevy paired with it, but without it is hardest part. Motivated though! And my hubby now called me a drunk so i think he's past telling me to just have a couple - he knows how it turns out.

Hi Citylights - good seeing you back again too!

Day 2 - going well. I know tonight will be ok - the rest of the weekend will be a challenge, but my goal is to make it to monday when I can come back for the moral group support!

Have a great weekend everyone!!!!
Old 06-03-2011, 04:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Preghopeful: Good to see you back too! I know, my routine was always to stop at the store on the way home, or have it sent up--there is a liquor store IN my apartment building, so I actually decided to stay on a trip I was on a little longer, hang out in a hotel, take walks, be gentle with myself while I make it in these first few days--change my habit up so that I am stronger when I go back home. Too many memories and temptations in the old routines.

See you on Day Three!
Old 06-03-2011, 09:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thanks for your support Dee and Newstart. Someone has kindly offered to be an online sponser to me. I am going to go to a meeting tonight. This will be my first meeting in a few weeks. I have started to look at giving ip drinking as a job. If I don't make an effort I am going to fail. Good luck to all the class of June 2011!
Old 06-03-2011, 09:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

sound great Cairns

welcome to everyone- old or new!

D
Old 06-04-2011, 02:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Juners--Hope everyone is doing OK. On Day Three today and having a hard time with the insomnia but I figure people don't die from a few nights of sleeplessness but they do die from alcoholism. Hope everyone is having a great Saturday, x
Old 06-04-2011, 02:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well, I'm nearing the end of day 5.

The typical saturday night phone calls and text messages started a couple of hours ago. Three different people, two with texts followed up by phone calls.

I have to admit, the temptation did hit me for a few minutes but I just thought ahead to what would typically happen if I agreed to head out with them - I'd enjoy the first hour having pints of beer, then I'd start the vodka, would remember the first 7 or 8 and then would wake up tomorrow with the memory gone, a vast amount of money spent, and the same phone calls from those same people looking to go to the pub at 10am tomorrow morning. This would be followed by a day of drinking and a BAAAAD day at work on Monday (if I made work).

I really need to get away from that life so I pushed the temptation out of my head, got busy grinding myself another coffee and logged on here.

By not going out tonight, the above series of events will change to going for a meal with family tomorrow, watching a movie and getting up early on Monday morning for the gym.

I'm really enjoying the gym and am so proud of myself when I make my three days - Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I made it two weeks ago but not last week - hungover till Wednesday.

When I get into the routine, I'll be able to go out and use the excuse that I'm training when asked to have a drink. I'm weight training but this is a good excuse if you get into any type of competitive sport as well.

The longest I've stayed off the drink in the past few years is three weeks - and the relapse occured at a house party where I thought I'd be able to not drink.

At lease now I know that house parties are A LOT tougher than pubs and clubs to avoid drinking. It's all about the lessons we learn along the road to sobriety.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

All my best to the June Class, from an Apriler. I am on day #50 and while the physical stuff is long gone, the mental aspects are still there, although fading.

Frozen ground beef instead of prime rib au jus....
Old 06-04-2011, 03:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm off to bed now and will be getting up early to read "The Easy Way to Stop Drinking" by Allen Carr again - the last time I read it was a couple of years ago and he made a lot of sense.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
instant

Hi everyone
Day 21 for me. Went out last night for dinner with old friends. I did the driving. I had a great night. This time I am looking at alcohol very differently. I'm still one day at a time, but I have a lot more freedom in my mind.

Dee. Thank you
Old 06-04-2011, 08:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi... I'm only on day one, but have to quit alcohol. I'm ruining my life. I've gone through periods in life where my drinking has gotten out of control and the last year has been really bad. I've recently added other bad habits to the mix such as cocaine, pot and drunk driving. Not good.

I spent some time today looking into AA meetings and hope to go Monday. I also spent time reading some of the forum posts which helped me to get through the day. Grateful to have found this site. Everyone seems so supportive. Really want to be a life-long June 2011 member.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Bee and welcome to the June class, congratulations on day one and your decision to live a sober life. I'm on day three and hope to be a Juner with you as well. And glad you found this site, it is filled with so much support and hope.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Bee

D
Old 06-05-2011, 11:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you for the welcome. I've taken a break from alcohol many times in the past. But this is so different this time. In the past it's just been about giving my body a rest but now I feel the need to save myself from this downward spiral I've been on. Changing my life for good. It's kind of scary like entering into a whole different world. I hope I can stay strong like so many others here have been able to do. My best friend is a recovering alcoholic and she's turned her life totally around in a few short months. She's so happy now and is a great support too. Citilights congrats on day 4!
Old 06-05-2011, 11:40 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Id like to join the June class please.

Day 1 again for me. Urgh.

Hope to have more positive input in the coming days - just saying hello for now its about all I can manage.

PS x