Notices

My roomate drinks in front of me all the time

Old 06-02-2011, 07:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My roomate drinks in front of me all the time

I am trying very very hard to recover and to not drink. But my roomate always opens my favorite beers and other drinks right in front of me. I have not asked him to stop and I don't intend to. Why should he have to quit drinking just because I want to? Nonetheless, it is very hard for me. He just offered me a beer and I turned it down, but I still want it. I want to sneak a nip of gin from the freezer but I haven't let myself do it.

Part of the many reasons I am trying to quit drinking is so that I can improve myself and my life, get a better job, and move out of here. Do any of you have advice about how to handle this situation? I haven't gone more than a few days in a row without falling off the wagon. I really really really don't want to screw up. I could use any advice. Thanks, InAJar
Old 06-02-2011, 07:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had friends who would offer me drinks too - if you've explained your situation, and the offers keep coming, you need to make getting out of there a priority.

Support was very important to me - it would be even more important if I was in that situation - what support are you using beyond SR InAJar?

D
Old 06-02-2011, 07:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't have any other support. I have had to move to a new city because of my job. Also because of my job, I have to live with my coworkers. That may sound strange, and it is, but that is part of this job. I won't bother to explain that circumstance further, other than to say I agree that I need to get out ASAP.

I want to make some healthy friends so I at least have somewhere else to go. I just joined a gym so I can go there after work rather than coming home with all these people again. My roomates/coworkers are pretty miserable and boring and they just watch TV. It's easy to become like the people you spend the most time with.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

A recovery group like AA or SMART holds no attraction for you InAJar?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

D
Old 06-02-2011, 07:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

AA is always an option. I have found a ton of guys my age to hang out with and not drink. Hang in there!
Old 06-02-2011, 07:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi inajar...and welcome!

That's a rough situation you are in. First I would see if your room mates would help you...if not a new living situation is important.

Check out a recovery group and hang with us.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome! Keep reading around the site. Lots of good informataion, here.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think you have given yourself a bit of advice...you want to improve yourself, have a better life, better job, and move out. Despite your circumstances, you are trying to recover and quit...and not drink.
That's your answer...don't drink. If you do, you know you'll be right back in the same cycle you were in. Be better, be strong and you will be surprised at the change within yourself. You will have the strength to follow your ideas.
Reggie has a great idea. I just got back from my meeting. It was a nice meeting. We were all happy, comfortable and best of all...sober!Great friends, great times!
Old 06-02-2011, 08:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You know it is one thing to have to deal with drinking roommates..partners etc but quite another thing when they offer you drinks..unless..you haven't told them you are trying to get sober? Tough spot you are in my dear. I hope you can get out of there while keeping your sobriety in tact..and somebody is always here 24/7 if you need to chat..Good luck to you.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Sounds to me like you need a new roommate.

I'm very fortunate in that I live with my fiancee and she wanted me to stop drinking for a long time. So when I quit drinking, I never had to worry about her drinking at home. I actually have to assure her when we go out that it's OK for her to have a drink. But I can imagine it would stink to live with someone who was not only drinking in front of me but offering it to me as well.

As others have said, I would try to explain the situation to your roommate and see if he wouldn't mind taking it easy on the alcohol when around you. And as you said, part of your motivation for not drinking is to move out of where you're at. So hopefully you can either come to an understanding with your roommate or get yourself into a more comfortable living situation.

Good luck with both your recovery and your living situation. Remember that you can always come here to talk with someone or just read posts if you're starting to feel down or like you want a drink. Having a non-drinking friend you can call or spend time with helps a lot as well.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for the support and wonderful ideas. I probably do need to join an AA group in my area. I feel nervous about that and don't really know how to approach a group, but I am going to try. I do feel its a life or death situation for me at this point.
I told my roomate several times that I am trying really hard not to drink anymore. Telling him that has made him more difficult! He says things like, "when you get over this "non-drinking thing," we can go out and do X."
I have a hard time eating anything when I try to quit drinking as it is and it is even harder with the fridge full of what he knows is my favorite beer. Just today I made tacos for myself and I sat down to eat them and he opened a beer and plunked it down beside me and said, "how can you eat your cooking without washing it down with this?" He's right, I actually do have a hard time eating my wretched cooking without washing it down with beers. But I was proud of myself because I just walked into my room instead.
I am working so hard on finding another job. I think I'm going through withdrawls and everything but I still have not given in. Day three.

Thank you guys very much.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had a friend like that too...whether consciously or not, I think he felt my decision reflected badly on him, and he missed his on call drinking buddy...

He had no understanding of alcoholism, he just wanted to go back to the way things were.

I had to cut that guy loose, I'm afraid.

D
Old 06-05-2011, 07:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yea, I think that's a big part of what's going on here. But in the end, I know that I am responsible for my own decisions, no matter what anyone else does. Still sucks, but I'm getting through it. I know my life will improve faster without alcohol than with it. Still sucks though.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sounds like he is doing it on purpose. Maybe it's hitting too close to home for him. I understand the "life or death". I truly believe it is for me. Be strong. Be firm with him and tell him to knock it off. Good luck and congrats for hanging in there so far.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

InAJar:

I had -- HAD -- a boyfriend who left glasses full of beer on the table when he left the room and drank all the time in front of me. He is no longer the boyfriend and I moved to another residence. After 6 years together. Drastic, very painful steps, and much needed and worth it. Sounds like you're doing really well under tough conditions. I hope you keep it up. I've found all the support on this board very helpful.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by InAJar View Post
Thank you all so much for the support and wonderful ideas. I probably do need to join an AA group in my area. I feel nervous about that and don't really know how to approach a group, but I am going to try. I do feel its a life or death situation for me at this point.
I think you will find a safe haven and good friends in the rooms of AA. Just find a meeting, and attend!
Old 06-06-2011, 09:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well, seems like when you can you need to get out. As I'm sure you know. AA is a very friendly environment and you don't have to walk in a certain way. Just go. I have more friends now than I know what to do with! LOL
Old 06-06-2011, 09:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Your roommate sounds like a douche, sorry lol

You need to move out if he's going to continue to try and pressure you to drink...