Notices

Anti Depressants and Alcohol

Old 05-31-2011, 09:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anti Depressants and Alcohol

Just posted about this in another thread...

Does anyone else have experience mixing the two? For me, it's was awful.

I could never get out of bed because I was too weak and had no drive for anything. But at the same time I would be very anxious from the withdrawal. Almost like the drug was working and not working at the same time.

I've read that mixing SSRIs and alcohol could lead to loss of motor skills. In my case it would be constantly falling over and breaking stuff when I was drunk, getting carried home from bars, etc.

Just want to hear about other peoples experiences with this.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have had experience of using ADs and alcohol...and it never resulted in anything good.

Don't do it, it can be very dangerous and even deadly...please follow your doctors advice, and if you haven't seen one, please do as I am sure they will be able to help you with the withdrawels, anxiety and even stopping drinking.

I hope you find all the help and support you need.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SoberDreams

I did this for a while and it was ALL bad. Started making even worse decisions in life. The physical effects were downright debilitating. It literally nearly drove me insane.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I never had any bad reactions but drinking all the time didn't allow my meds to work and I was horribly depressed all the time.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Journey of Recovery

I drank for years on my meds. My moods were all over the place. My depression was so bad I thought I wasn't going to live. I didn't realize the danger I was putting myself in at the time. Now that I am sober, I am so much more balanced and my meds are working.
Life is great!
Old 06-01-2011, 07:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oy vey , yup , I recall Paxil and going looney whether drinking or not...stuff seemed to enable my drinking. Then it was another SSRI which don't work for me. I am on a hex-cyclic mirtazapine and Wellbutrin and well off one source of my whole depression....drink

Very counter productive to use an AD and a depressant...and as some point out can be very dangerous and even deadly. But hmm never would say I was very bright when under the influence

Between meds , good diet and supplements, working out , work on my sobriety and the joy of each sober day I no longer feel depressed , stricken with anxiety , paranoid and a list of other negative thoughts and feelings. I sleep well and will stay the course on this regime. It simply feels so good it makes considering using so unappealing. I rarely think about using but know I need to stay here and remind myself I am just one drink from going down a rat hole
Old 06-01-2011, 02:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

My experience is that anti-depressants did not mix well with alcohol. They never seemed to work or they made things worse.

Today I am sober and take mental health medications which include a low dose anti-depressant. They are working now but I truly doubt they would be if I were still drinking.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm pretty confident my panic disorder was from the amount of alcohol I was drinking. Hoping to get off prozac sometime now that I'm sober as I'm so so tired & feel like a zombie at times
Old 06-01-2011, 05:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Manz View Post
I have had experience of using ADs and alcohol...and it never resulted in anything good.

Don't do it, it can be very dangerous and even deadly...please follow your doctors advice, and if you haven't seen one, please do as I am sure they will be able to help you with the withdrawels, anxiety and even stopping drinking.

I hope you find all the help and support you need.
almost 5 months sober and 3 months off the meds
Old 06-01-2011, 05:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think my AD made my alcoholism progress more quickly. JMHO. I'm still on my meds and I need them but I NEVER should have been mixing them with alcohol. When I think of what could have happened to me! I'm happy to be alive!
Old 06-01-2011, 05:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1undone View Post
I think my AD made my alcoholism progress more quickly. JMHO. I'm still on my meds and I need them but I NEVER should have been mixing them with alcohol. When I think of what could have happened to me! I'm happy to be alive!
Yes I feel this way too, glad you brought it up. It's a pretty dangerous combination