Notices

Back After Relapse and Asking For Help

Old 05-31-2011, 07:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back After Relapse and Asking For Help

I've been here a while and had several "bouts with sobriety". Able to go 3 months once and 9 months another time. The times before, in between and after were bad though.

After hitting a pretty bad "low", I've got 16 days going this time. I don't know how else to say it other than THIS TIME I AM ASKING FOR HELP FROM THIS GROUP. I've never been good at that which I know is rooted in a pride problem. Hopefully this is a good first step to deal with that too!

I finally opened up to my wife about the extent of my drinking so that will help. There is something about bringing these problems out into the light that makes them "weaker". Seems like hiding stuff and keeping it in the dark is a great environment for it to grow and become stronger.

I feel really good about things and it seems easy right now. That's the way I want to keep it so this post is a kind of a preventative maintenance post. I know cravings or stupid thinking will eventually pop up.

Thanks for any input, advice or other form of help and thanks for taking the time to read all of this.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you with 16 days and good for you coming clean to your wife. I know I have to have my friend know what I'm doing.

In your previous sober periods, how often did you post here?
Old 05-31-2011, 07:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing. I have 13 months, first go around at this sobriety thing.. I didn't get sober till last year at 34 years of age and my wife hasn't been supportive of my recovery. Needless to say it's been hard. What has worked well for me more than anything is reaching out to anyone I can. I had a rough nite on sunday and it was too late to call my sponsor or anyone else, so i got on this forum. I felt better afterwards.

One day at a time and keep up the good work. Thanks again for your post.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back...
Good to know you are starting fresh ..forward is the correct direction ....

All my best to you and your wife as you find your way into a sober future
Old 05-31-2011, 07:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back Happier!

I came back after multiple relapses. I am on week 3 and I am so happy to be sober. SR is great. So much love and support.

Keep coming back!
fragileflower
Old 05-31-2011, 07:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Missy & FJ

Missy - I posted fairly regularly during my prior sobriety. Typically stuff that I hoped would help others. Trying to help others is a good thing but probably makes sense to also recognize and confront my own weaknesses. I never wanted to make it appear as if I had it all figured out and that I was some sort of guru. Just never have been one to seek help for myself. Hope to do better.

FJ - Really sorry to hear that your wife isn't supportive. That sounds like a tough situation. Glad to hear you are still doing so well with 13 months. You must obviously be doing it for the right reasons under tough circumstances. This site has always been helpful to me as well. It's basically been the only support I tried which is probably why I'm now trying to get even more out of it!

Thanks again.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Happier,

I am on day 11 today (almost 12) and I know I wouldn't have made it through most of those nights without this site. It is so nice to have a community of support.

This is the longest I have gone without alcohol since my pregnancies, and my youngest will be four in July.

I miss my nightly glass of wine, unfortunatley, the one glass turned into one too many. Glad to be on this journey with you.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Happier.
I noticed once I swallowed my pride, admitted my addiction and humbled myself with the advice and support from others, it became easy to manage. Good for you on the sober time. Wishing you peace and strength.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Happier
You'll find a lot of support and advice here, as you know.

I always recommend ppl think about what they can do differently this time - what can you add now to whatever you did last time to get a different result?

D
Old 05-31-2011, 08:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Happier..good to have you back! SR is a great place for support and understanding.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome back!

I've had so many relapses I can't even begin to count them. Coming here has probably saved me. You don't have to justify your prescence here, or exactly how you are attempting to stay sober to anyone here. Perhaps, just yourself.

Post as you please, you may be helping someone and not even know it. You've helped me today, and I have now strung together fifteen months. (woo!)

I hope you find the support you're looking for here. Just reading posts helps me, as I don't post much. I'm an introvert even on the internet!
I was an obnoxious drunk, though.

Best to you.