Notices

some thoughts on my first 3 days of detox

Old 05-30-2011, 05:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

some thoughts on my first 3 days of detox

Well I made it threw quite the experiance. During everyday following a cut back i felt some degree of of withdrawell. They rangeg from livable to tough. The first day after no boos was no picnic but livable and I even made it to work

The second day of withdrawell without any alcohol things got really difficult. I heard singing in my head (they were at least good tunes) . The shakes got close to full scale convulsionsions. I was determined to tuff it out but i was having a big dehydraition probblem . I drank an ocean of water and nothing worked. I did'nt find out any info other then that in regards to withdrawell. So I looked seaver dehydration up . It said if the person was not sweating, had horrow eyes and was passing little urine they may be sevearly dehydrated. Its pretty dangerous
So I got some dark glases ,and headed my shaky self to the ER. I took time out to take a shower and look as good as I could cause in that state I was afraid no one cab would pick my shaking skul faced self up. Shaving was quite the experiance..
The doctors agreed . They baged me for the dehydradion and gave me tyrazidone for the withdrawell ,.(turns out I had a sodium deficiancy) I felt like a new guy in minutes Stayed 2 days and here i am. Its an easy way. But I have to tell you , I almost think its too easy. I'm glad about the pennance that I went threw..The medical one seemed more like a change of oil They gave me 2 more pills and yea I'm going to take them if symptoms hit, Braveheart I'm not. But remembering me shiviring, shaking and sneaking out of my apartment building are strong motervators for not drinking.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you went for help, detox is no fun.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got some help - detox can be dangerous sometimes...life threatening even.

And don't worry about it being too easy - this is the beginning not the end
detox is hard, but staying sober can definitely be a challenge too Joe...

I'm glad you're ok

D
Old 05-30-2011, 06:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've tried to do it own my own as well. It was catastrophic.I was admitted to the hospital detox ward for 5 days. Alcohol detox is very very dangerous and no one should do it with out medical help imo.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm glad you got some medical help, detox can be very dangerous. Thanks for the post, it reminds me of my own experiences which I don't want to go through again.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got help for your detox.

I hope you continue to recover and thrive.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yea but does anyone see my point about the "benifit" of experiancing the negative side of the detox experiance. Honestly and I know Ill have doubters on this bored my drinking never effected my business or my life I was a ninja about it. I own a night club so I'm arond it 7 days a week and was never a drunken owner. I had a system were I only had a couple and one with the staff before I walked home.( 2 beers , 1 mixed drink) Too much stuff and potentially violent situatuations to be drunk thier. At home is were I hit the vodka for sleep purposes. Did'nt know that i had a problem till i fell asleep on the coach one night without drinking and woke up in full blown withdrawell. Going threw the bittter detox experiance really opened my eyes. I never want to experance something like that again. I was considering Going to an AA meeting tommorow. But the part about not being around alcohol definatly won't work for me. The ammends part too, the only person I hurt was myself and I definatly don't want to do that anymore
Old 05-30-2011, 07:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I nearly died from my detox - so I guess I'm kinda glad in a way because I can still remember the terror I felt...it keeps me grounded to think I was there once and could be again if I let myself.

But even that terror wasn't enough to make me never want to drink again I'm afraid Joe - it really takes work to stay sober IMO.

I used to be a gigging musician - drinking was kinda part of the job - and for me it had to all or nothing Joe, because despite all my good intent, those one or two drinks I'd have to be sociable would always open the floodgates later at home.

I ended up wrecking my musical career because I lost control of my drinking very suddenly. I underestimated my addiction, and I underestimated how much work it would be to stay sober.

Don't be like me

D

Last edited by Dee74; 05-30-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome joe. Negative experiences in detox is only good in two cases. 1) If we seek help and recover -and 2) If we learn something from it.
Hopefully, this experience will keep you aware of the potential harm that drinking causes...even though we don't think we drink too much or it's not affecting our lives. Alcohol is cunning, baffling and powerful -it takes your soul.
I knew I had a problem...I lost my job. I didn't have bad detox (surprisingly) but I will never forget...the feeling, the shame, the guilt, the dissappointment, the failure of that last day. It was all I needed to change. I did 6 week rehab and am in AA...a great new job and loving life.
Everything is so much better without booze in our lives...you will see that you are better equipped as a business owner if you forfeit the booze.
Wishing you peace and strength.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I had a miserable first four days. I decided to stop drinking on the morning of Saturday, may 21st when I woke up feeling awful and was running a 5k obstacle course with friends from work. Halfway throught the race a full blown migraine kicked in and lasted four days. It took two trips to the doctor, both of which resulted in shots for nausea and the headache. I am just finishing up day 10 and feeling better. I was taking a class at the gym today and didn't feel dizzy or off balance at all, this often happened when i took morning classes on the weekends because I drank too much the night before. I am sure the person next to me in class could smell the alcohol oozing out of me.

Good for you on going to detox, but I agree about the negative association. Each time I have been tempted to drink the past ten days I have thought about those miserable first four, avoiding alcohol means I will never have to experience them again.

Hope this is a good week for you!
Mubu
Old 05-30-2011, 09:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

to DEE 47 I guess being a musician or in any of the live entatainment Industries is
particurlarly hard. Probably the only jobs were its considered ok to be a little bombed. Its wide spread too when we hire a national touring acts on many of the ryders(contracts) It stipulates a "sober sound man" . You don't see that when hiring a house painter.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

And thank you all for the kind words. Really message board and those like it got me threw some scarry days
Old 05-30-2011, 09:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Glad you got sought help and got through it OK. From what I've read and heard other say, withdrawals get worse each time we go through them. Next time, you might have a seizure or heart attack before you can get to the ER. So if you think detox was almost too easy, you can use that thought to motivate you..... With the convulsions and a stiff medical bill however, I don't think you should feel like you didn't pay enough for your sobriety.......Sounds bad enough to me!

Thanks for sharing your experience with us and congrats for choosing to start a sober life!
Old 05-30-2011, 11:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Remembering those first two weeks definately is a part of my program. I'm quitting smoking now too and having many of the similar feelings. There is a huge amount of justification for remembering these feelings - cause and effect.

I hate cravings, I hate withdrawal, I hate my body demanding alcohol and nicotine just to feel "normal." I'm on anti-depressants right now too and would like to get off of those over the next year as my last drink is further and further in the past and the healing has had a real chance.

I was always scared that if I was stranded on a deserted island with all my necessary resources around me I would still die from lack of alcohol. I really did consider this!
Old 05-31-2011, 01:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
instant

It sounded like a serious situation. The hallmark of this problem for me is that learning from negative experiences is impaired, so I am slow to learn and keep getting damaged.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yea in hindsight I picked the absolute worse time to start my detox . What preceded it was a 3 day binge wear i discovered i was alcohol dependent. During those days i was barley eating. I was in no way nutritionaly ready to start a full scale detox. I should have given it a week drinking at my normal level and eating well. But i was so freaked out i wanted to start right away. The lack of sodium in my body at the time could have killed me. Still glad i'm almost through it. And i thank god for the internet. If it wasn't for the information I found ,I honestly would have thought I had the flu.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

It's never a wise idea to try to de tox on your own....I'm so glad you did get medical help....

so....do you have a plan on how to stay sober? You never have to go thru withdrawal again .. Once was enough for me.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

That is the added perk..when you can remember the unpleasant effect of withdrawal and you know you NEVER have to go thru that again. I did use my worst drunken moments and the anguish that went with them..I see no reason to ever pick up again. I started taking some diggers towards the end..that was a clue it was time for me to quit. Glad you are here Mubu.