Notices

Hi!

Old 05-30-2011, 08:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
H20

Hi!

Hey y'all. Incredible site you've got here!

I stumbled across this forum while searching for information on alcohol detox.

I'm in my late 20's. I've got friends, I'm a happy guy, my whole life is ahead of me and all of that wonderful stuff -- but every time I stop drinking within 24-48 hours I have panic attacks and end up in the ER. I've been drinking "socially" for a few years and drinking on a daily basis to fall asleep for about 8 months. I realize I have a problem, I realize that I will never drink again (and as of today, there's nothing wrong with that in my opinion -- I HATE DRINKING, I am so fed up with it and it does nothing for me) I realize that I have an addictive personality but most importantly, that there are underlying issues I need to face on an emotional level. I have been in therapy for years and have really turned my life around but I simply can't stop drinking without withdrawal symptoms freaking me out.

I'm about to do an inpatient detox (three weeks) and I'm a little terrified and don't know what to expect. I've never done this before.

I read some of your stories about detoxing but I still don't really understand if you just quit cold turkey all alone or if you were being supervised and on medication. It's confusing because it seems that a supervised detox with benzo's, barbiturates and anti-convulsion meds there wouldn't be any serious withdrawal symptoms and the whole thing should go smoothly (for the most part) but I've read a lot of pretty harrowing stories here.

If anyone has gone through a medically supervised detox and can offer some information about what to expect I will be eternally grateful. This has been such a nerve wracking month for me and I want to start this new chapter of my life without being stressed out and confused.

Thanks in advance and I hope I posted this in the right place. If my post is somewhat out of line or something I apologize.

Thanks,
H20
Old 05-30-2011, 08:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

to SR. Glad you found us.

My experience with the anxiety and panic attacks in early sobriety was that the program of AA helped me a lot through those times. That situational anxiety did get better with time as I learned the tools to help me deal with it and slowly was able to get my life more manageable.

I am sure other programs work in a similar way. There is a list of recovery programs under the Alcoholism section of these forums. Here is the link: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html I encourage you to give one of them a try.

As far as detox goes I really do not have any suggestions as I did it on my own. Not necessarily the best way or the right way to do it.

Again welcome to SR.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome!

I detoxed on my own too, so I can't offer any help on that.

I'm glad you've decided to stop drinking.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi H2O,

Welcome! I stopped drinking ten days ago on my own. I had a four day long migraine and nauseau which caused me two trips to the doctor and they gave me shots for the migraine and nausea. Started feeling better around day five. I too was a social drinker for many years, and the past two-three years my nightly glass of wine turned into a bottle, sometimes a large one. So far this site has been my lifeline.

I think I may try a meeting this week. Good luck with the inpatient rehab. I will be thinking about you.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm really pleased you are heading into a sober future....and hope your inpatient time will be a learning experience....

I had no idea that de toxing from alcohol was a medical issue ..so I did mine alone..tho a knowledgeable friend checked up on me for 3 days.

In order to keep my sobriety moving ahead...I committed to AA...and it works great for me...

Welcome to SR...
Old 05-30-2011, 11:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome! Congratulations on your decision to get sober! Are you going to a facility that offers medical detox? (It sounds like it from your post). Some rehabs are set up to do detox, while others will send you to a hospital if the withdrawals are bad.

Either way, it will be much easier than doing it on your own. A lot of the problems come from people trying to detox at home and then realizing they're in serious trouble.

I recommend writing down some questions and calling the treatment center you'll be going to. I think they would be glad to talk to you and tell you a little bit about what to expect.

Hope you stick around - this is a great place for support!
Old 05-30-2011, 03:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR H20

I'm really glad you're doing an inpatient detox - I didn't and I'm still dealing with the legacies of doing it on my own.

I'm sure it's a pretty daunting prospect from where you are but I really wish I'd done it.

Best of luck

D