In a relationship with a Opiate Addict in Recovery

Old 05-28-2011, 07:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

In a relationship with a Opiate Addict in Recovery

Any other significant others of opiate addicts in reccovery notice the insatiable increase in sex drive?
Old 05-28-2011, 08:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, when my husband came out of rehab the first time he had a constant need for sex. He was/is an opiate addict as well. I'm not sure why this is, but I could always tell when he was using again...and then when he wasn't...(outside of the massive mood swings and temper tantrums he would throw) because of the sex drive.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

gosh, you guys where lucky...mine could not get it up....at all...
Old 05-29-2011, 05:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My addict while on opiates knew I could tell when he was using .. He couldn't get full erection or counld not finish.. He talked I good talk tho... But when he wasn't using the first couple days he was always ready to go and last 2min..
Old 05-29-2011, 07:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think that a lot of people with substance abuse issues have an underlying sexual addiction. Hyper sexuality is one of the signs that this might be going on. Just a thought.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

Hyper?...never heard of that before....
Old 05-30-2011, 10:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Their bodies are craving endorphins and orgasm is the fastest route.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I guess my experience is the opposite. The opiates killed her sex drive and being clean for two months has done nothing to bring it back.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

@TD252
I can definitely relate. My boyfriend has no sex drive whatsoever. He has only been clean from heroin a little over a week so I know I should give it more time. But sometimes I wonder if he ever will get it back?
Old 05-30-2011, 09:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I can definately relate to you all! My BF has a heroin addiction and when he had been using heavily lately there was zero sex drive, except right after he used, which was a cue for me! Any others have that experience??
Old 05-31-2011, 07:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

OP here

My BF is in recovery for morphine and is detoxing off of klonopin as well, so maybe it has something to do with the type of opiate and/or the mixture??

As for before, he and I have always had a pretty comfortable sex life for being together almost 2 years. We love eachother and the sex was good, but he couldn't get fully erect (probably 85-90% of his "full potential"), sometimes couldn't finish or took FOREVER to finish and usually blamed it on klonopin or break-through pain (his morphine use stemmed from medical neccesity). We were having sex probably 2-3 times a week on average and with my work schedule and his work schedule, it was fine.

Now though... WOW!

He gets 100% erect and we are having sex 4-6 times a day... which with my sex drive, I don't mind.

I know the difference between intimate and impulsive sex, and it has been intimate thus far. I am not concerned about sex addiction (unless I have one too lol) and am enjoying the new wind in his sails

Needless to say, I know this pace won't keep up, but I feel like we were when we first got together. I am just enjoying the reconnection. I feel like I got my BF back.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

my husband of two years is a opiate addict. I was dumb to it for a year and a half, and he is now 7 weeks in to a 29 month prison sentence for burglary. I was very nieve about drug use but i would often do internet research to learn what he was taking. He really did not have a sex drive at all and if we did have sex it is because I iniated it about once a week. As a wife I felt so devistated to have my husband act as if he was not sexually attracted to me. I know I am not alone now. It is great to read all the threads that seem to relate to my situation so well.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My ah had a very large opiate addiction that he hid from me for 5-6 yrs. Our sex life for 15 years had ben "very" good. Then it disappeared. He was cold, distant, rude & uninterested sexually. I spent years suspecting & trying to catch him in an affair.
In December he admitted to his big opiate addiction. Part of me was relieved. No affair.
Then 3 months after his non use of opiates, came the hyper sexuality. It went on for two months. I then went to feeling like just a person for him to have sex with.
This last month this has leveled out a lot.
I have read this is normal..Can't say it made me feel very good. Just hoping these are steps to recovery. Looking forward to a normal sex life again. With feeling
Old 06-07-2011, 08:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Opiates numb you. Do the math. That's why it goes from zero to sixty, then throttles back to something more "normal."

Cyranoak

P.s. I got tired just reading 4 to 6 times a day. Good God, how do you get anything done? I don't even have time to have sex 4 times a day.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You all guys are lucky. Support them to recover. That would mean a lot.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

*shakes head*..well it was HIS problem not mine...i can find "other ways"...so what does that mean he could not even get it up...i mean it was a dead HORSE....LMAO..god am i bad or what...LOL
Old 06-14-2011, 10:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

LOL You ladies make me laugh... In the beginning it was 4-6 times a day, and you all are thinking the recovery time was significant, when it was more like 15-20 minute fun, 15-20 minute recovery, 15-20 minute fun... and repeat Now we are down to 2-3 times a day, more time for other projects, but still up there.

Thanks for the laugh.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have had the same problem my AH is a MAJOR opoid addict and in active addiction I too would try to catch him cheating because sex went to nothing when he is a sex fean. I would not get it or if he tried same results as above either nothing or half and went forever and meant nothing (AH calls it dope d@#$). I can also tell that way because when clean 100% and within a minute but that minute is great. Now I have nothing I kicked him out hehehehe oh did I laugh out loud sorry wait no I'm not I will Be HAPPY