Notices

another manifestation of the addiction

Old 05-28-2011, 05:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
instant

another manifestation of the addiction

I am on day 14. I am thinking about my relationship with alcohol and my current recovery all day. There is no urge to drink. Everything I experience at the moment is in reference to the absence of alcohol. My mental preoccupation not something I have decided to do, it is just happening. It's an intense thing. I assume it is another manifestation of the addiction and over time I will notice other things.

I do feel freer however, more relaxed and physically better than I have in a year.

Time will tell
Old 05-28-2011, 05:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was as obsessed with not drinking as I was with drinking, Instant.
I think it's very common, especially in the first few weeks.

It took some time, but once I accepted that they were just thoughts, I needed validate them and they weren't going to go any farther than that with me, they lessened in intensity

D
Old 05-28-2011, 06:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes....it took me awhile to get into a more relaxed thought pattern..

well done on your sober time...
Old 05-28-2011, 06:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I had the same experience for sure. I am 9 mos sober now and I still consider my sobriety, daily but not nearly to the degree that I did at the start.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, the first few weeks, I spent a lot of time thinking about not drinking. But, it will get better. One day you'll realize, I haven't thought about not drinking at all today.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That intense conciousness of how you're feeling, and how you feel right now may get tiresome after a while. Make sure you have something lined up you can enjoy that takes your mind off that when it gets a bit much.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good job! Keep up the good work. I was very pre-occupied with my sobriety early on. Matter of fact, I still am. I am close to six months (knock on wood). I will say this though, I seem to think about sobriety quite a bit - BUT - I bet I don't think of it 1/2 as much as I thought of booze...

Alcohol dominated not only most of my actions, but my thinking as well.

Keep up the good work! It only gets better...
Old 05-28-2011, 09:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Nice work on 2 weeks!
Old 05-28-2011, 09:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am just about finished with day eight, and I admit I have spent a great deal of time thinking about not drinking. Not during the week while I am at work, but at night when the kids go to bed, and especially today when I was the only one not deinking at a family barbecue. However, I made it through the day and when offered a glass of wine I responded "I am not drinking today." Didn't feel the desire to share any more than that at this time. I will admit I had a great time playing charades with the kids, and actually had apple pie for dessert, I normally skip dessert because I save my calories for wine. It felt good to have a little slice of pie, and I know that the dessert will not cause me to wake up with a hangover tomorrow.

I am with you instant, hoping that the obsession of thinking about alcohol dwindles. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
Old 05-28-2011, 09:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't have the same sober time that RW has, but he's spot on as far as how I deal with it. I still have dreams about relapse, wake up, realize it was a dream, go back to sleep, and dream that I had the F its and drank anyway. Recovery is really odd. We forget how many things were tied into our addiction.

For example - I quite smoking (except for a cheater now and gain) 3+ weeks ago. Every morning when I start my car the first thing I do is roll my window part way down. And I'm only eating mints!

At 3+ months I still won't go near a bar, haven't played golf, gone fishing, mowed the lawn, cleaned the garage. These are all triggers. I've hired someone to take care of the lawn for me but I still need to clean out the garage!

In early recovery I think it's pretty safe to say that almost anything goes as long as it keeps you sober and moves you forward in recovery.

Congratulations on that significant two weeks. The regular compulsion to drink really does go away and you should start to feel "normal" more often while sober. Triggers will always be there so be prepared and have a plan.

-Peace and Serenity
SPG
Old 05-29-2011, 01:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by instant View Post
Everything I experience at the moment is in reference to the absence of alcohol.
I used to use alcohol to feel good about not dealing with life.

Now I use life to feel good about not dealing with alcohol.