Notices

The best day in 5 years

Old 05-27-2011, 03:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The best day in 5 years

Day 25 today. I spent from 5am-4pm yesterday in the hospital waiting for my 22 year old daughter to have surgery on her hand. Although she had to have surgery for a broken wrist and she was in pain, it was the best day I have had in 5 years. My drinking really put a strain on our relationship. I never told her what I was going through. Recently I admitted I was an alcoholic to her. I knew she already knew but I don't think she realized how bad it was. She has been my strength these last 25 days. Every day she tells me she is proud of me. We sat at that hospital yesterday talking, laughing, reading. And I was SOBER. When I was drinking, I always felt like I would never be the mom I used to be for my girls. Being sober has opened my eyes to a lot of things I forgot about myself. My self esteem was so low. I allowed someone to control, belittle and hurt me on a weekly basis. I used to be strong. My daughter reminded me of that yesterday. It was amazing. You find out who really loves you in difficult times. Unconditional love. I am so happy today.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
instant

you have regained some of your strength. I admire your courage. Hope your daughter heals soon
Old 05-27-2011, 04:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Journey of Recovery

Congrats on your 25 days and being there for your daughter! What a wonderful feeling that is. I too recently was available for my daughter during her surgery and recovery. I would have been too hungover in the past.

What a blessing sobriety is! Sending well wishes to your daughter for a speedy recovery.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Im so glad you are feeling happy x
Old 05-27-2011, 04:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Thank you, lpnangel, for this super-duper start to my Friday morning. You just ensured I'm oriented in the right direction when I walk out the door to face the day!

Congratulations on your sobriety and hope your kiddo mends quickly.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratualtions on day 25. That's awesome. And it's awesome that you and your daughter can connect the way it should be. I'm still having trouble with my 18 year old but then again, at 18 they know everything. Hehe
Hope your daughters' hand heals ok. It's a great thing that you could spend that time with her. That should really strengthen the bond.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

LPNAngel...isn't it a gift? I have the same with my daughter now that I'm sober and she's my biggest support system. Like you, I struggled with being the kind of Mom I wanted and needed to be and I knew my drinking was interfering with that. My children's teen years were spent watching me make poor choices in relationships and being 100% emotionally absent. I'm not absent any more and the love and support I'm receiving is priceless.

Congrats on your 25 days and I wish you more happy days ahead. I'm almost at four months and every day just keeps getting better!
Old 05-27-2011, 08:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ahhhwww how sweet and congrats! Hope your daughter has a speedy recovery!
Old 05-27-2011, 08:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIBluebird View Post
LPNAngel...isn't it a gift? I have the same with my daughter now that I'm sober and she's my biggest support system. Like you, I struggled with being the kind of Mom I wanted and needed to be and I knew my drinking was interfering with that. My children's teen years were spent watching me make poor choices in relationships and being 100% emotionally absent. I'm not absent any more and the love and support I'm receiving is priceless.

Congrats on your 25 days and I wish you more happy days ahead. I'm almost at four months and every day just keeps getting better!
Yes it is a gift. I thank God every day that they never lost hope in me. I've been given a second chance and I am not going to blow it. Congrats on 4 months. That is awesome.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad your daughter's on the mend and that you could be there for her lpnangel

D