Notices

Checking in

Old 05-26-2011, 06:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Checking in

Hey everyone!

I hope you all are doing well. I just wanted to say hi. I have been working a lot more than normal (dammit!) and haven't had the chance to come here as much lately. It's funny, when we sober up and get into recovery we can handle things like jobs, relationships, family, finances, etc... Turns out those thing require a good amount of time. Having said that, SR will ALWAYS be a very important part of my recovery. My decreased activity will not become a habit (sorry - you're stuck listening to me) LOL...

Sobreity is a stange trip. One minute I'm on top of the world and booze is the furthest thing from me. The next, I struggle with life and thought comes back. Other times I'm just content being me (something I never was when I was drinking). I think that is what I love most about recovery - being OK in my clothes, my house, my car, and my skin...

You guys have been there for me so many times throughout this process. The past month or so has been challenging to say the least, but I (with help) got through it. Day in and day out I stay sober - one day at a time - and I have a lot of help. I have so many tools to help me now. About six months ago, I had one tool for life and that was 100 proof Kentucky Bourban. Everything in my life was filtered through alcohol. It's nice to live life with out the distortion that alcohol caused.

I wish everyone the best! Unless somethign goes terribly wrong, I'll be going to bed sober soon!

Good night all!
Old 05-26-2011, 07:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There you are! I had wondered. So your new job is keeping you busy? Mine is definitely keeping me busy. Do you like it?
Old 05-26-2011, 07:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Work is good...it keeps our otherwise empty open thoughtless selfish head full of thoughts and actions that we actually get paid for. I've always been a stay at home Mom and am having a wonderful new life out in the working world. It is an awesome place sober. I'm hoping you are getting along well with your new job and are enjoying it and was worth the effort to get there.
Anything worth anything is hard work...I am finding that with sobriety, as well. But I find the easier it gets the easier it gets...minute by minute, day by day...glad you posted and are doing well.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Right there with you. I'm coming up on 6 months too and look forward to picking up my first token ever next week. Walked into the rooms 93 days sober so never picked up the first few tokens. It's been a strange ride and I can really relate to the ups and downs dealing with everything sober.

Hang in there. It can only get better!
Old 05-26-2011, 10:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great Posts! It is hard work to begin with, gets better, you feel the difference and begin to appreciate the simple pleasures in life each day, and before you know it...the promises deliver in unimaginable ways. It is one foot in front of the other, and letting the outcome be what it will be.

You go from "I can't stand the skin I'm in", to "what else can this skin do?"

Endless possibilities available when the bottle is corked and kicked to the curb, never to be opened again.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was just wondering why I had not seen your name around! Glad all is going well!
Old 05-26-2011, 11:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Have come to recognize your name and friendly face. I'm at 90 days and taking it one day at a time. Sure beats the alternative, but its not all fun and roses.

Nice to see you, keep up the good fight
Old 05-27-2011, 12:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

For the best part of my first year of sobriety I found the first thought when things weren't going well was to have a drink. That's what I always did so it was familiar. As time went on and I was learning to deal with the good, bad and ugly not thinking of a drink to numb myself became familiar and the norm. Now almost 6 six years later, I never think of having a drink when anything good, bad or ugly happens. I am too busy feeling the authenticity of what has happened to me that is good, or too busy feeling the pain or disappointment of what has happened that is bad/ugly and too busy kicking into damage control, considering what my choices are and plan of action is to resolve the matter. It will come Reggie as it seems to be starting with you. Life isn't easy, but I just roll with it now. I really don't take life as seriously because there is a 'lid for every pot'. I move on, but I give myself time to feel the emotions first. What I have also found is that life has a pattern. Things are goos, things are challenging and sometimes they are just plain horrible, but things constantly change.

ETA
When you drink, you put yourself in a state of inaction because you are not dealing with the problem and then you really have problems. I also shut the day down at bedtime, try to get a good sleep so I can pick up where I left off or be rested for a bright new day.

Glad to hear that you are feeling comfortable being you. Be patient with yourself, but keep pushing through it all. Think of yourself as a child who needs a little extra understanding for the time and give it to yourself. I used to think of myself as 'the problem child' and sometimes roll my eyes at myself (yeah, I know) and then find myself laughing at being a problem child dressed up as an adult.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the update Reggie - I'm glad to hear you're moving forward

D
Old 05-27-2011, 04:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Go RW!
Old 05-27-2011, 08:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by reggiewayne View Post
...The past month or so has been challenging to say the least, but I (with help) got through it.
While I've accumulated a number of sober days, it's getting through the tough days that test--and temper--my recovery. I just got through a rough couple of weeks sober. Glad you made it through yours.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sobreity is a stange trip. One minute I'm on top of the world and booze is the furthest thing from me. The next, I struggle with life and thought comes back. Other times I'm just content being me (something I never was when I was drinking). I think that is what I love most about recovery - being OK in my clothes, my house, my car, and my skin...
Very new to this - on day 14 but I related to this paragraph! I'm on this ride right now and I'm assuming I will be for a while. It was good to read your post and hopefully you will share more for us lost newbies! I still feel like I'm feeling around in the dark but what for I have no idea.

Congrats on the new job!