Notices

powerlessness_&_responsibility

Old 05-25-2011, 10:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

powerlessness_&_responsibility

Hi all-

I'm powerless over alcohol. I am. I've proven this to be true over and over and over. It went against everything I've learned to admit this (and a HUGE blow to my ego), but it's true.

Please understand I'm not suggesting you are. You may not be. We can only answer this for ourselves.

I only want to point out that this isn't a "cop out" or deflecting responsibility for ourselves if we're working a program of action (like AA) or really doing anything to change ourselves.

It's actually the exact opposite, at least from my point of view and experience (and my understanding of AA).

One can admit and accept being powerless over alcohol and take full responsibility.

I know this b/c I'm living proof and trust me when I say that working all 12 steps of AA, helping other alcoholics, and doing my best to live for a power greater than myself, is most certainly taking full responsibility.

Kjell~
Old 05-25-2011, 11:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am not responsible for my alcoholism. I am 100% responsible for what I do (i.e., the actions I take, such as working the AA program of recovery) to treat my alcoholism. Susan
Old 05-25-2011, 11:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
BHF

Kinda like politics, everyone is entitled to work the program of their choice in the form they choose. My opinions on some matters in recovery may differ from others, but that doesn't make it accurate in regards to others.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanx for opening dialog to clear this up.... Being powerless, and using a higher power in our recovery... is not a cop out, far from it, the exact opposite, really...