Notices

9th day....funny

Old 05-25-2011, 07:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

9th day....funny

Well, 9 days and no drinks....

Good boy.

I have managed quite well, first few days were rubbish but since then just feel a bit lethargic, slightly headachy at times and quite tired but taking a good diet, vitamins and other steps to detox.

Mind keeps playing nice games, yesterday whilst reading through the forums, I managed to convince myself I wasn't an alcoholic....just because I don't drink in the morning. God how stupid, only took me a few hours to realise that part of the reason for wanting to convince myself I wasn't was because, I was. If you follow.

We'll see how long that goes on for; For now I have no definitive plans on anything regarding my alcoholism, only that each day without is a victory.

Feels kind of nice to post on here, with a higher number of days since last drink than last time.

Read somewhere that alcohol is cunning - I'd agree given my mind at the moment....
Old 05-25-2011, 07:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 9 days.

Yes, alcoholic thoughts can be very cunning. The alcoholic voice remains in our head telling us all sorts of things...we can drink, no one is looking, you can handle one drink, you won't relapse, etc, etc. We have to override those thoughts and remember that they are a false prophet jeopardizing our recovery. Its plainly called stinking thinking. It will convince you that recovery is not that important.
I found that settling goals in my life made setting definate plans to my recovery more efficient. It's hard to not have a path or plan and not know where you're going except to not drink. Not having an underlying strength creates convenience to continue drinking.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think you are 100% right but I am struggling to do that.

I have a job interview tomorrow, for a job I would really love and a move back to a country I used to live in and loved (before the drinking I might add, it's a long story)

I think the interview might have been one of the contributors to my decision that enough is enough with drink.

To be honest, I am quite worried about the interview - I have a very good chance of getting the job but nothing in life is certain. If I don't get it, I know I will have a struggle on my hands trying to cope with the disappointment.

So in a strange sort of way, I have avoided setting goals, to avoid disappointment, to avoid the drink....

Backwards or what...

Originally Posted by EmeraldRose View Post
Congratulations on 9 days.

Yes, alcoholic thoughts can be very cunning. The alcoholic voice remains in our head telling us all sorts of things...we can drink, no one is looking, you can handle one drink, you won't relapse, etc, etc. We have to override those thoughts and remember that they are a false prophet jeopardizing our recovery. Its plainly called stinking thinking. It will convince you that recovery is not that important.
I found that settling goals in my life made setting definate plans to my recovery more efficient. It's hard to not have a path or plan and not know where you're going except to not drink. Not having an underlying strength creates convenience to continue drinking.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Congrats on day 9 !!!!

Good luck on the interview and wish you the best!

Peace,Dylan
Old 05-25-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good Luck with the job interview. I know how you feel. In January, when I quit drinking it was because I lost my job...went to rehab...started my journey...and found another job. Yes, I was scared, too. I never proceeded in life without falling back on booze. It was always a thorn in my side no matter what I did in life.
I know its easy for others to say, but being positive is your key to success. If you go to the interview with a negative attitude chances are it won't go as well as if you go with the feeling that the job is yours. Be positive, hold your head high, speak clearly, look them in the eye and talk from the heart. You'll be fine.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

To state the obvious drinking is never a good option to cope with negative thoughts. Try another approach and good luck with the interview
Old 05-27-2011, 07:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for your support guys, just thought i'd check in - 11 days without a drink now, feeling OK about it.

My daughter's birthday was yesterday, quite a few people came round for food which I made, a few of them drank - wasn't tempted - just sat and listened from the other room (I hung out with my brother out of the way!!)

I got the job too which is amazing and strengthens my fresh start outlook - looking forward to another 11 days without a drink, starting to feel the benefits now, still a bit tired in the mornings but not as lethargic and feel "cleaner" if that doesnt sound stupid.