Notices

I quit drinking for 2 months this year. I don't how I did it.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I quit drinking for 2 months this year. I don't how I did it.

Earlier this year, I quit drinking for about two months after a very scary experience of getting beat up by a drinking acquaintance and being put in the hospital. I don't even remember getting hit in the face I just remember walking down the path in my neighborhood with a regular drinking acquaintance. Next thing you know, I wake up naked in the hospital getting stitches in my face. The experience scared me enough to get me quit drinking for as long as I did. However, I started drinking again on my birthday in the beginning of April. Since then, I have been drinking every week again. Sometimes I am able to pace myself out and drink only 2-4 beers moderately and not get drunk. Other times I get totally drunk and wake-up hungover. I still get the urge to drink. Friday was the last time I got drunk. I had 3 beers on Sunday paced out and didn't get drunk. I need the motivation to stop drinking like I did two months ago. I've been drinking and binge drinking regularly ever since I went to college a little under four years ago. I'm ready to grow up and quit drinking like a immature drunk fratboy or a ghetto hoodbooger loser getting drunk in front of a liquor store. It is hard for me right now being an unemployed recent college grad who finished school a year ago with few employment prospects. I am currently working creating corporate/company websites for people for FREE just so my time will be occupied with something positive and constructive that will fatten up my resume and portfolio and get me on my feet working at a real job one day.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

That sounds like a good idea to try to do work for free in order to promote yourself and get more experience. Good for you!

If you arer motivated to live a sober life, then you can do it. When you stopped drinking for two months, what other changes did you make in your life? Stopping drinking is only the first step, and for me, I had to change everything.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for your response. When I quit drinking, I stopped taking walks around my neighborhood/village because of all of the trouble it had gotten me into. I live in a nice suburban town in a very wealthy county but it is still filled with shiftless directionless people in my age group and younger who do nothing but get drunk all day. I've known some of them for years and they act very stupid when they are drunk which is daily. But since the weather has been nice again, I have been walking around outside again drinking at the local bar and going to the local liquor store. A fat tax refund check afforded to me to drink again but all of that money is nearly gone. I also stopped going to bars during that two month stretch of time. The thought of drinking scared me during those two months. But every since my birthday, I've been drinking regularly again and have been getting drunk about once or twice a week. I can't get too comfortable again because of all the bad things that have been happening to me recently involving alcohol. Even though where I live is statistically safe, it is very dangerous being me for some reason. I have been beat up so bad and put in the hospital and robbed both in broad daylight in the past four months alone.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Even though where I live is statistically safe, it is very dangerous being me for some reason. I have been beat up so bad and put in the hospital and robbed both in broad daylight in the past four months alone.

Wow! While it may be "statistically safe" because there have been only 2 robberies among the 10,000 people who live in your neighborhood, if both times the victim was you, that ain't so safe.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Stryfe

My life was populated with those kinds of people too - I have to make a clear and irrevocable decision to put my sobriety first and start hanging around with people who would support me in what I was was doing.

You can do it - I drank for 20 years - all day every day by the end

It takes a lot of work - but find the right support and you'll find yourself back at 2 months and beyond in no time

D
Old 05-24-2011, 07:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I didn't think I'd ever learn to stay sober, but now I have almost a year and a half, so there is hope.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow! While it may be "statistically safe" because there have been only 2 robberies among the 10,000 people who live in your neighborhood, if both times the victim was you, that ain't so safe.
It's because only poor and unemployed people walk around my town. Upper middle class and rich people have cars and never walk anywhere. I have a car, but it's kind of old and falling part so I only drive when I have to. I don't have a fancy high paying job that allows me to be always occupied or that enables me to buy a newer car every couple of years. My town is not made for pedestrians, so the only people walking on the path, even in daylight hours, are are shiftless unemployed disenfranchised 18-20 somethings who will beat you and rob you. Since I'm not old and rich, the cops do not believe my story when they show up to the scene of the crime and sometimes they choose to lock up me up for something petty like talking back to a cop or as its called "disorderly conduct".