Unbelievable to me.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Still Standing

Arrow Unbelievable to me.

I know that some may say that it's because I'm not objective, but I know me & that's not true. To me, it has never made sense that anyone should get 99 yrs or life sentence for being IN POSSESSION of a controlled substance over 400 grams. That is the sentence that a person gets if convicted of this possesion charge. 10 to 99 years. Or life, I was told today. To me, the punishment with this, definitely does not fit the crime at all. Alot of murderers don't even get that bad of a sentence. I've been livid about this for years, but was just brought back up to me today.

I would really like to hear everyone's opinion about this, please.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I belong to another forum (completely unrelated to addiction) and this subject came up the other day. Not one person was on board with a life sentence for possession, no matter how many strikes. As all pointed out and you too, the most heinous crimes don't seem to get anywhere near a punishment like that. It's mind boggling!
Old 05-24-2011, 05:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Pet peeve of mine too.
Penalties for these crimes should not be up to what judge you get, or what county you were in, or whether that jail is crowded.

I used to be one of those who believed that addiction was the dealers fault. Sadly, most dealers are addicts just like my son, and deal to support their own habit.

Our justice system is seriously broken.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

My son, recently sentenced to prison for possession with intent to sell, received 2 years.
He is incarcerated in Florida, and down there they don't believe in letting offenders linger.
He is taking a courses, and supposedly will be able to obtain a job when released. Altho' he says there isn't any AA meetings available. (?)

It is amazing that drug offenders sometimes receive much longer sentences that murderers.

Actually what is the object of a sentence of 99 years? Do they think that it will deter other addicts? NOT.

What ever happened to the war on drugs? Big joke.
All the congressment and senate are too busy spending our money on trivial things.

OR maybe we just don't YELL loud enough.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What's the price?

Originally Posted by cece1960 View Post
Pet peeve of mine too.
Penalties for these crimes should not be up to what judge you get, or what county you were in, or whether that jail is crowded.

I used to be one of those who believed that addiction was the dealers fault. Sadly, most dealers are addicts just like my son, and deal to support their own habit.

Our justice system is seriously broken.
Many experts feel that mandatory sentencing is part of the problem now a days in the U.S. . With the get tough on crime mentality discretion is taken out the judges hands. Mandatory sentencing tends to fill prisons.

On the other hand the Cynical One is right, too much discretion for judges can lead to the catastrophic scnerios mentioned. I too have the attitude when judges are up for re-election vote them out.

Unfortunetly prison is the only thing that can slow hard core criminals down. Some people deserve prison and then some.

Yet another problem with privatized for profit prisons. The prisoners don't get rehabed, get abused, cop another attitude and are back out on society. Happens in public institutions as well since many working in those prisons are there for a job and money only.

I must ask though how many doses or hits of 400 grams does this substance provide. Sounds like were talking someone who is a repeat offender or hardcore drug dealer. 99 years is alot with no bodies or direct physical harm to an individual. 400 does seem like a distributor number.

Time yes disposable no.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Preventative vs. Corrective?

The nations ( Singapore, Thailand, Laos, Viet Nam, China and most Middle East countries) with the toughest laws tend to have the least drug problems within the general population.

Detering the average Joe from engaging is more effective than tossing serious $ billions at the corrections systems and opportunities for rehabilitation.

The death penalty seems to be the only effective preventative measure that has proven to change entire cultures.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by outtolunch View Post
The death penalty seems to be the only effective preventative measure that has proven to change entire cultures.
While I don't condone it I sadly accept it as a truth.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by outtolunch View Post
The way I see it, its not a preventative measure so much as a simply a final measure. I mean, many of our statistics are the result of repeat offenders, and if this is the punishment after the first offense, then the stats start to look pretty impressive, no?
Old 05-24-2011, 10:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My sister lived in Singapore for 4 years and she said everyone was scared to death of drugs. Not the effects of drugs, but the punishment for them.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Yankee

I am at a toss up on this to be honest. Let's say you have a repeat offender, who has been in posession a zillion times, dealt drugs that ended up in the hands of children, been in and out of jail/prison multiple times....and they still are doing the same illegal thing? Well, let's end it by putting them in jail/prison for up to 99 years. That will solve it (at least solve it on the streets) I think our streets would be safer. And let's not forget the good ole slogan...If you don't want to do the time then DONT do the crime. I don't understand the whole "It's not fair" thing here. There are punishments for illegal actions, maybe if our justice system was harsher then people would think twice about doing them. And for the people who commit murder and other unbelievable things that don't get as much time as they should, I think we should bring back public hangings. Think twice about that why don't they.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

99 yrs for possession is a waste of tax payers money. Period.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Yankee

I dont take anything personally, we all have the right to our own opinions. =)

And Nina Kay, I am sorry you are struggling with this. No matter what I believe, I know it is hard to see someone you care about get a sentence, no matter what sentence it may be.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissTara View Post
I dont take anything personally, we all have the right to our own opinions. =)
And our realities, our lives! I just have to hug you (((((((MissTara))))))).
Old 05-24-2011, 02:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
BHF

Detering the average Joe from engaging is more effective than tossing serious $ billions at the corrections systems and opportunities for rehabilitation.

I have to disagree. 1st, you are not going to deter the majority of alcoholic/addicts from engaging in their addiction by simply enforcing extremely harsh punishments on others engaging in the same illegal behavior. All you will accomplish is to convince the alcoholic/addict to attempt to better conceal their activity. You can't scare a drunk/addict sober.

Life and statistics also show that rehabilitation (treatment) is much more successful and much less expensive than incarceration with no treatment, in regards to long-term sobriety. I agree that alcoholics/addicts who break the law should be required to be incarcerated for a period of time, depending on the specific crime. I think incarceration does serve as a deterrant in some cases. However, if that deterrent is not coupled with the tools and instructions to remain sober, then it's all for nothing. Long-term residential treatment, as a requirement of sentencing, after a specific period of incarceration is likely the most effective form of treatment for alcoholism and substance abuse. It is also much less expensive than incarceration.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Still Standing

Thank you for that, MissTara, but my son did get that sentence & then probation, but that was many years ago. I was blown away by the unbelievable excessive sentence, when I heard it for the first time at that time, but I hadn't given it much thought for a very long time. But then I was called for jury duty. Low & behold, it was for possession of a controlled substance over 400grams. While selecting the jury, the district attorney was asking us questions & one was: would you be able to sentence someone to 10 years for this charge, if convicted? Then the next question was: would you be able to sentence someone to 99 yrs or life, for this charge if convicted? That made me lividly angry !!! That is absolutely one of the most unjust sentences I have ever heard.

I said maybe if someone was murdered or maimed because of it. But he clarified his statement & told me, No, the sentence would be for the conviction of POSSESSION of a controlled substance of 400 grams or more. A Felony Charge. Not a Federal Charge. I said, "Absolutely NOT !!! NO sir !!! No way !!! That is extremely excessive !!! Most murderers don't even get that great of a sentence !!!" Needless to say, I wasn't chosen to be on the jury for that trial.

I so appreciate every single person here who said their opinion because I really need to hear all thoughts about this. I know my son's story. Yes, but I also know the story of many other young people in my area of the State. I will tell you that some have been given this sentence & some haven't & I have yet to see a single difference in the end result of any of them after they have come through any of these various jail or prison charges & sentences. They are addicts !!! They are not bad. They are sick. If they are going to try to get people off with the insanity plea, that have commited haenous acts of murder, then why aren't the courts going through at least the same amount of effort for addicts before sending them to a hellhole with alot of bad mean people for the biggest part of their lives or all of their lives? I want to know how that makes any sense to anyone ever? I don't even understand how anyone ever even came up with such an extreme sentence for that illegal act. And then how that got passed & keeps getting used. I just don't get it !!! It makes no sense to me. It's an evil and unjustifiable damnation in my opinion.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Ninakay,

I fear that this is becoming dangerously close to a political discussion, and like giving medical or legal advice, I think that is prohibited on SR. That having been said, I will add my two cents:

Plain and simple, the war on drugs still sells politically. By that I mean it commands enormous popular support amongst the middle class and suburban voters who constitute the bulk of electorate, and who somehow think that, even if it has not stamped out drug use altogether, at least it has kept drugs "on the other side of town," so to speak. And handing down draconian sentences is also politically popular - it is what gets judges and district attorneys, as well as lawmakers in congress and state legislatures, re-elected.

We here on SR recognize the futility of trying to scare addicts straight - most people out there in the world, who have no experience with this kind of thing, do not. Like the people here advocating the death penalty for drug users, they assume that if you just ratchet up the punishment for drugs then the addicts will stop using them.

On the subject of the death penalty, while I will admit that in Singapore it does seem to deter people from using drugs, in most other countries, even in China or Iran, it does not. And Singapore is one of the most authoritarian countries in the world - in fact, even chewing gum there is illegal, because the authorities don't want to see it being spit out on their otherwise sparkling clean city streets. I sincerely doubt Americans want to see this country heading in the direction of authoritarianism, or executing thousands of its citizens just because they choose to use drugs in the privacy of their own homes.

You might have heard that in California they are now having to parole tens of thousands of prisoners from the state prison system because of overcrowding. Because of the three strikes law that was passed there in 1994 (courtesy of the California Correctional Officers Association, mind you) the California prison system is bursting at the seams with prisoners, many of whom are non-violent drug offenders. This is the natural result of a 'tough-on-drugs' policy - all that it really does is simply divert precious tax dollars from more deserving causes like education, R&D, and health care.

Anyway, I admit that it stinks that in whatever state you live they are handing down such tough sentences. Hopefully one day we will have a sensible national discussion about the wisdom of our drug policies and start to search for reasonable alternatives. In the mean time, do whatever you have to to keep yourself and your loved ones from being busted with drugs.

MZ
Old 05-25-2011, 10:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BHF View Post

I have to disagree. 1st, you are not going to deter the majority of alcoholic/addicts from engaging in their addiction by simply enforcing extremely harsh punishments on others engaging in the same illegal behavior. All you will accomplish is to convince the alcoholic/addict to attempt to better conceal their activity. You can't scare a drunk/addict sober.
I agree with you.

However, I was talking about changing the future culture and extreme consequences seems to be the only proven method to short circuit an epidemic.