New and need advice

Old 05-23-2011, 06:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and need advice

Hi Everyone

I am new to all this, mainly looking for some guidance and help for my boyfriend.

My boyfriends mum has been an alcoholic for nearly ten years, obviously I dont know all the facts due to me not being her sibiling, however I can see what its doing to my boyfriend the whole thing is tearing him apart and I know alls I can do is be their for him but he really does believe that this is it now and this time she will die. She has been in rehab nearly quite a few times and never fully completed the course on one occasion when she finished the twelve steps the day before her presentation when all the family where coming to see her she had a drink and never recieved her presentation for complteting the 12 steps, my boyfriend has tried everything he even managed to get her into a clinic via the doctor that was private and this was further away from where we live she again decided to come home and start drinking again, we all thought last year when she was in intensive care due to drinking a full litre of Brandy and was literally on her death bed that this was her "rock bottom" but it seems not as within a few weeks she was drinking again.

At the moment we are currently on a merry go round, she seems to be drinking non stop for a week or however long her body can take it before she starts being sick and then phones herself an ambulance and ends up in their for a few days where she will come her say she really wants to stop and then may eat a few meals until she feels better and then starts all over again this has been the story for maybe the last 2-3 months, in the time she is sober she visits us makes phone calls etc and when the drinking starts we dont hear a peep this is the main reason I am asking for some help it hurts my other half so much that she doesnt bother seeing him or even pick the phone up to ring him he is so sad all the time and hardly sleeps at night thinking he may lose her, I really do try and support him though this as it is a horrible disease but I dont know what the best thing for him to do.

I feel he may be making it worse for himself when he knows she is drinking he will keep ringing her, but she doesnt bother picking the phone up to him so he start worrying all day until his dad gets home from work to check on her and then he can settle a little bit of a night, when she does pick the phone up he will give her a lecture of what this is doing to him and she will very rarely speak a word or usually just hangs up on him. On some occasions she will be drunk and ring him in work saying she cant breath so he will phone ambulances and have to leave work 9 times out of 10 when he gets their she is fine and this angers him even more.
When she is sober and has checked herself out of hospital she will pop round and see him before she starts drinking again, is this just to make her feel better?

I really think his life is on hold while this is all going on, I am not really sure what direction I need to point him in x

I really hope someone can give us some advice, he has tried to go to a few family anon meetings but doesnt really feel comfortable I dont know whether it is because other members of the family are their or whether he doesnt want to talk about it.
Thanks
xxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 05-23-2011, 06:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have a mom who is the same sort of non-stopper, and it is really tough to handle. She got a DUI for being so drunk when I was 11 years old, that she pulled over halfway toward dropping me home to my father's house and I had to drive the rest of the way home... I will never forget the night. She was also booked for attempted murder for stabbing her boyfriend multiple times after arguing while drunk: I found out about this incident after coming home from a camping trip during which I proposed to my wonderful wife. Talk about a buzz kill. She still calls me faded and acts like she is going to off herself, or that she has combined a bunch of meds with her vodka and is "going to go to sleep" and I have to put my life on hold to put up with her mess. I can relate to your boyfriend's quandary completely, and if he would like to have a one on one interface, I would be happy to do so. It is hard, it is painful, it has made me turn to the booze at times because I am such a sensitive person; I applaud your boyfriend for how he carries himself in dealing with his mother. Please let me know if I can do anything to help. SR is a great place to find support, no matter what your battle.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for your reply, I may try and get him to come on here I really think talking to other people will help him.
Obviously he talks with his sister/dad other family members but I think talking to other people may help him as things are really impacting on his life now, sometimes I look at him and he is just staring into space.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Present

The area here on Sober Recovery, called FRIENDS and FAMILY of ALCOHOLICS may be of some use to you and your significant others. That's where I usually post - this is my first post/day in this area as I have had a recent activation of being an ACoA. Al-Anon has a lot to offer for us to be able to manage our own recovery from being powerless over alcohol.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's a tough situation.
Maybe your boyfriend will decide to come here too for support.

take care,

Laurie