Notices

First few days...questions!

Old 05-22-2011, 06:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First few days...questions!

I'm just into my fourth day and I've noticed some things and just wanted to get some feedback.

I haven't had any severe detox symptoms that others have talked about. Day one came and went fine, on day two I was a bit dizzy and felt weak and tired in the afternoon. Starting with day 3 and today, I am sleepy and thirsty. I've been sleeping 8-10 hours, with no bad dreams or anything, but I wake up and could still be sleeping. Today, I got 8 hours of sleep and then took a 4 hour nap in the afternoon and now at 9pm I could go to bed and probably sleep until morning. Is this something someone else has experienced? How long? I wanted to take a walk and go to a meeting tonight, but I was completely out for 4 hours.

On top of this, I can't stop drinking. I'be been downing water like crazy and still constantly thirsty. Agh! It's irritating.

I want to start exercising a little more next week, but I can't wake up feeling refreshed for work and I don't want to wake up even earlier to workout. At night, I'm completely done.

One other thing that I've noticed is random bouts of crying. Not for long, maybe like a few minutes. Mostly, these bouts come when I think about the time I wasted drinking and how wonderful and supportive my girlfriend has been.

How long to expect all this?
Old 05-22-2011, 06:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Random crying .

Mate it has been a couple of months for me with a couple of slip ups , however , the crying , I did at about one week .

NORMAL

Thirsty ? Yes. All the time. I purchased 6 x1.25 litre bottles of sparkling mineral water and the lot were gone in two days.

I think it might have been a cross between , habit, and dehydration.

You sound like you are going pretty well.

Have you been to your doctor to at least get a check up ?

Keep going, you are doing well.

Stay in touch \
L
Old 05-22-2011, 06:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Everybody's different since it depends on lots of factors, but the tiredness and feeling emotional (sad, irritable, up and downs) are normal and common.

It took me about 3-4 months to get my energy back, but I've seen others who have felt better sooner and some later.

Congrats on 4 days - things should start getting better each day. Hang in there!
Old 05-22-2011, 06:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

lol, I'm on day three and I keep crying and crying and crying....I'm not even sure what the hell I'm crying about. For a while today I convinced myself I had done severe damage to my liver and was going to turn yellow and my kids were going to grow up without a mother so I cried about that and complained about that so much that my mom got to the point where when I called she was answering the phone, "if this is about your liver again, I'm hanging up" and my husband said, babe, I love you but all this liver talk is getting on my nerves.

I think we will start feeling better in a couple of days. They say about two weeks. I sweat a lot the first night of not drinking but not much of anything after that. Well, maybe some little aches and pains here and there but who knows, I probably have them all the time and am just noticing them now. Every little twinge on my body I have I am relating to quitting drink lol.

I know from alot of people sleeping alot is very common. Thats awesome that your girlfriend is so understanding. Keep going to meetings!
Old 05-22-2011, 06:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I too don't see any reason for alarm.....your body is requireing sleep and water in order to promote healing...
I did walk daily to AA meetings before work ....that was good for me.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks, lipitor. I think the drinking does have something to do with habit and dehydration. Hopefully I can hydrate my body enough soon.

I will go to the doctor. I've been having some what I think is stomach pains. I don't know if its alcohol related and I don't know what other things are alcohol related or not. I'm gonna wait a few weeks and see how I feel and then go to the doc with any concerns.

My experience with doctors has been that besides running some tests, they don't really go the extra inch to tests things about which you don't complain. Usually, I have to look everything up on the internet and come to do them with it. Then they look at me like, yeah ok, that could be it, I don't know, I could run a test. So, in short, before I see a doc, I want to detox for a few weeks to see what problems remain then. Overall, besides the thirst and tiredness, I feel fine.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Lipitor

Hi, you're back! I thought you said you were leaving.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It was rough getting up for work this morning. I felt like I could sleep all day. I feel weak and a little fuzzy in the head. I wanted to go to the gym this morning, but that wasn't happening. Ugh!
Old 05-23-2011, 05:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
instant

In my experience, having withdrawn a lot over the years, but have never had a full blown "clinical" withdrawal.......alcohol interferes with sleep and dreaming as well as a lot of other things. It takes a while for your body to adjust and I always find changes in my sleep and usually a bit of sweating. I have also discovered that eating a bit of chocolate or something sweet at around the commencement of my usual drinking time helps. I hope it all settles down for you.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks. I'm sitting at work and all I wanna do is go to sleep. I think that if I got home and lie down I'll be out most of the day. My head feels like it weighs 100 pounds. And I'm still thirsty!
Old 05-23-2011, 06:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sounds pretty normal to me. I didn't have earth shattering detox either. I felt really tired, weak and just completely out of it for a good 4 days...took it easy, slept, drank alot of water and tea and just relaxed.
Booze masks alot of things...your true thirst, your true feelings...oh, and your true life. LOL So once it's all out of your system you can start on getting into the real world. It's a great place to be. Keeping you in my thoughts and wishing you peace and strength.