Notices

New member with a terrible hangover today.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New member with a terrible hangover today.

I have been a lurker for sometime on this forum. Lots of great advice on how to be sober. I have a big propblem with alcohol. I am not an alcoholic and I only drink at weekends. But I tend to get very drunk and suffer from blackouts.I tend to drink until I pass out. I have done lots of very stupid stuff while under the influence. Including injuring my self, ended up at the hospital with broken bones etc.

I was sober for nearly 6 weeks this winter. Now I am drinking again. I know that I should stop. But in some way I dont want to. I want to learn to drink in a controlled manner. In many ways I am so sick of all the trouble alcohol is causing in my life. But in another way I dont want to quit.
I struggle a lot with being honest with my self. I know this sounds crazy but I have a heavy dose of denial in me that I am aware of. Step one is admitting I am powerless over alcohol. I cant even really admit that to my self.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Roselian,
If you are not an alcoholic, then you should be able to stop drinking on your own and should be able to moderate your drinking with ease. It sounds as if you are not ready to stop drinking yet. When drinking causes you enough pain, you will become ready.
Susan
Old 05-22-2011, 01:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I dont know if I am ready or not. But I need to quit so I am just going to be sober for at least 4 weeks. My body really needs a big brake from alcohol. I
Old 05-22-2011, 02:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Roselian View Post

In many ways I am so sick of all the trouble alcohol is causing in my life. But in another way I dont want to quit.
Well, you are most certainly NOT unique!! LOL... I think I can say that nearly all of us felt that way at some point...

If you want to break through some of that denial, begin by looking at that "I am not an alcoholic" statement ... Maybe you are, in fact, not an alcoholic. I wonder though, based on your trouble with control and your black outs and your hospitalizations... Why do you say you aren't, an alcoholic?

Welcome to SR, glad you posted!!
Old 05-22-2011, 02:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The definition of alcoholism isn't how much you drink, or how often, or what you drink, it's what happens to you when you drink... and you sound like alcohol kicks your ass every time. Blacking out is one sign of 'problem' drinking tho. Why is it so important that you're not alcoholic? It's just a word. What matters is what you do about it.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I tried to keep telling myself the same thing for years and things just got worse and worse.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Roselian

After twenty years of my own experience, and 4 years here, I do not believe you can 'learn' to drink in a controlled way - you either can...or you can't.

I spent 20 years try to 'learn' - I failed.
Don't waste as much time as I did.

I know it's scary, and the task looks immense - but I really bless the day I gave up alcohol...my life changed forever that day - for the better

Hope you'll stick around

D
Old 05-22-2011, 02:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It doesn't matter what label you put on yourself, alcoholic or not, it's just semantics. But it certainly sounds to make like alcohol causes problems in your life. You said . . .

I have a big propblem with alcohol.

I tend to get very drunk and suffer from blackouts.

I tend to drink until I pass out.

I have done lots of very stupid stuff while under the influence. Including injuring my self, ended up at the hospital with broken bones etc.

I am so sick of all the trouble alcohol is causing in my life.

I have a heavy dose of denial in me

There are assessment tools to determine whether you have a drinking problem, you might want to take one. Be honest when you do.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome!

I understand your hesitancy to call yourself an alcoholic. The image is one of the old guy on the street, bottle in a brown paper bag, mumbling, etc..... But that's just the final stage. If you read the stories here, you'll see people who recognized their alcoholism pretty early and some much later.
"When alcoholics drink, they can't always predict how much they will drink, when they will stop, or what they will do while drinking. And it is common for alcoholics to deny the negative effects of drinking or that they even have a problem."
Most of us have a hard time thinking about life without alcohol - would we ever be able to have fun again? Social drinkers just don't think like that. Believe me, it's pretty easy to start allowing yourself to drink on a weeknight once in a while, or have a drink at noon on Sunday after being drunk Saturday night because it helps with a hangover. It's a progressive disease.

You're just beginning to ask questions, and that's good. Whether you stay sober for a month or forever is, of course, up to you, but we're here for support!:ghug3
Old 05-22-2011, 04:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you're not an alcoholic, you will have no problem stopping drinking.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome Roselian

After twenty years of my own experience, and 4 years here, I do not believe you can 'learn' to drink in a controlled way - you either can...or you can't.

I spent 20 years try to 'learn' - I failed.
Don't waste as much time as I did.

D
So did I dee. And Roselian, I tried and tried to make a deal with the devil,
That is

swapping the type of drink, telling myself I could stop at one or five.

Please dont waste as much time as I did also

Hope you stick around here

L
Old 05-22-2011, 05:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I hope you stick around longer than just the 4 weeks you plan on staying sober. Also the next time you want to drink remember the terrible hangover you had that you titled your post with.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You never have to have another hangover again, your choice. I know I have never yet missed the morning after drinking, one more good reason to quit for good.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am just on day 28 but have to say there is nothing better than waking up in the morning feeling great. I have never had a night of drinking that was better than the way I have felt in the mornings the last four weeks. I wish I had done this years ago
Old 05-22-2011, 06:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It sure sounds like drinking is causing you problems. Do you have a specific plan to stop? You could try AA or SMART recovery
Old 05-22-2011, 06:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome Roselian. For me, I just had to ask myself if I wanted to live like I was living. I tried for years to control my drinking, while drinking. It never worked. No matter how hard I tried, no matter how many checks and balances I came up with, I constantly ended up drunk and then hungover.

If left on my own, I'm going to chose drinking (or it choses me). I had to find a program of recovery and divie in. It's one day at a time, but it does take a plan. AA is a pretty good plan IMO.

If you are wondering if you're an alcoholic, here is a very simple test.

If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking, you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic.

I wish you the best of luck. The good news is you never have to wake up hungover again if you've had enough...
Old 05-22-2011, 06:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you decided to de lurk....Welcome...

Here is a link of info you might find interesting Blackouts are explained there
and I too was a blackout drinker who got into all sorts of dangerous situations

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html
Old 05-22-2011, 06:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Why not try being sober for 6 months and see how you feel and then see if you want to try drinking again. I can understand that you don't want to quit drinking but this would be a good time to stop for the time be and focus on yourself.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I always prided myself on "not drinking during the week" then I got drunk on the weekends. It took all I had not to drink on the weekdays, my only relief was on the weekends. I began to see how much I had to work on drinking not drinking and all the crap that went with it and finally said screw it. It took awhile but I do the 12 steps of AA now. That was only after having the stuffing kicked out of me mentally and physically for years. I know where you are at, it is scaring letting go of something that brought you happiness, such joy. I was obessessed of getting that taste back. That taste of youth. alchohol, the rush of being alive was dead. I came to realize that I need to stop chasing lies. I am old, I have something to give back now without me taking drugs and booze and women
Old 05-23-2011, 03:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

thank for your replies.

Thank you all for your kind replies. I know alcohol has strong hold on me. Alcohol is ruining my life but still I want to keep drinking. I does not matter that I only drink at weekends. I am ashamed to say this but I started to drink on friday night. And when I woke up I started drinking again. I can see that that is not normal behavior.
I feel good about being sober for at least 4 weeks. Hopefully it will more thant that. I am so tired of this.

I am just scared that when I forget this hangover that I will again think I can just drink a little bit. It is not that bad etc.
And sorry about the bad spelling. I am not drunk. Just from another country hehe.