Notices

new to Narcotics Anonymous & recovery

Old 05-22-2011, 01:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new to Narcotics Anonymous & recovery

Hi, I'm new to all of this. I have been using pain pills for about 15 years and have been a drug addict of all sorts for 24 years. Today I went to my very first Narcotics Anonymous meeting. I feel I have this battle raging within, between recovery versus simply not caring about my life at all. I have lost just about everything that was ever important to me. I am very scared to be clean & sober but it's clear that my life doesn't work when all I think about is pain pills. I just can't imagine it will ever get better. Sorry to be so gloomy, am still detoxing I guess. I've been off the narcotics for about a week and half but started abusing every pill that was in the house, even otc medications, how dumb is that? Today, May 21st, I didn't abuse any pills. This was a big thing!! Well I wish you all the best in your own recovery. It's a very difficult thing, good luck to you!
Old 05-22-2011, 08:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A lot of us on here are in similar boats JB... You've come to the right place. I'm only two weeks ahead of you in terms of recovery times.

Peruse around the site and you'll see the tools that other folks are using to help recover and how it's working out for them-- look around for discussions on suboxone, tapering, NA, AA, SMART Recovery, white-knuckle/cold-turkey, books you can read, etc.

At any rate, welcome. Feel free to ask questions, vent, and to lean on folks for support.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The twelve steps of NA/AA prevent suicide.
Get an NA sponsor with five years sobriety and have them walk you through the 12 steps.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome jennybeth - hang in there and taking it one day/minute at a time. It gets better. We're not used to living without immediate gratification, so be patient with yourself. I thought the obsession to drink would never leave but I kept hanging on and hoping that others were right when they said I'd get my sanity back.

I care about my life now and know it can happen for you too.:ghug3
Old 05-22-2011, 02:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR JennyBeth
good for you for making the decision to get some help and support

Hope to see you round
D