Notices

sorry to be needy.. some advice please.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

sorry to be needy.. some advice please.

Hi am sorry to be a needy pain..

I have been hanging around the chat room, but its all quiet, nobody around.

I just wanted to get some advice/feedback,

I am on day 3 sober, first attempt..

Yesterday was tough, I felt physcially ill.

Today, I feel really weird. I felt really emotional this morning, now I feel really anxious, like a mild but constant panic attack. I got butterflies in my belly, and my heart is fluttering really a lot. My house mate doesnt know what ive done, she didnt really realise how much i was drinking, on average 2 bottles of wine a night, sometimes a bottle of vodka. I went cold turkey.

Is this normal? I know you cant give medical advice per se. I just wanted an opinion.. I feel like I am on the verge of a major emotional melt down..

Im sorry to be so needy, it's just that I am feeling a little bit silly and scared..
Old 05-20-2011, 10:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Detoxing from alcohol is tough physically and emotionally, and it's scary.

It really is best to talk to your dr about what you're feeling.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Agree with Anna...I've personally detoxed dozens of times. I always found it much, much easier to be medically detoxed as alcohol withdrawal can be highly, highly dangerous.

and your not being needy at all. Welcome.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Canter, for all I know, I could advise the exact opposite of what is needed, so that makes the case for getting a medical opinion. I realize you are aware you can't seek out true medical advice here. I didn't quit with medical supervision, so I am lucky I didn't have any adverse physical consequences. I don't remember *a lot* of physical turmoil in my case, just some; and I think it began to feel like I was doing a lot better once I was past a few weeks, but then again, maybe that was more psychological than anything.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I detoxed on my own and looking back it was probably one of the dumbest things I have ever done. If you have any doubt go see your doctor or head to the ER if you have to. Take care of yourself!
Old 05-20-2011, 11:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Canter: First of all, happy to see you today. Day 3! You are not needy at all, but yes, detox is really horrible, and I talked to my doctor first who gave me some meds, and then asked to see me yesterday to make sure that I looked/seemed OK and didn't need to be in a hospital. Sounds like you're going through withdrawal, and if you are worried about it, talk to your doctor/clinic/ER (and don't worry about--they have seen and heard it all, so you don't have to be worried or ashamed--they will treat you medically). You should search "withdrawal" on the site to see what others have gone through, but I have everything that you are talking about in terms of feeling ill.

Hang in there. xo
Old 05-20-2011, 11:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Here is some information on detoxing.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Good luck. It is a crazy experience, but worth it.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Servant of God

Sounds really normal to me...it sucks. Embrace the pain as it means you are getting closer to being well.

Definitely recommend trying to get good nutrition, sleep if you can and some, any is ok, exercise.

And see a Dr.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am not sure that I need to see a dr, I dont think I am that "poorly",
I just feel a bit emotionally erratic, and shaky you know?

However i have read through some of the information in Bike guys, link and I see that things can get a little freaky... I am not ready to tell my housemate yet what i ahve done/am doing, but I will stay by her side for a while just in case..

I appreciate you taking the time to read and respond, Wish me luck..
Old 05-20-2011, 01:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Coming down from alcohol can extremely emotionally unsettling. Yet its a good time to learn how to self-sooth those jangled emotions. For me it helps to get fully involved with something I love to do. Like writing some poetry or playing with a computer graphics program. I can also combine the two with a nice image to give my words some background. Playing some of my computer games, especially the Sim's game where I can create some custom content with my graphs programs. Its calming to create some nice homes or clothing for the Sim's characters.

The deal is do something that is calming, soothing, relaxing...you know something along those lines that takes the edge off. Its just a good practice to get into. Rather that turning to a drink or drug to chemically calm/sooth you. Discover other ways that are healthy and for me creative that gives off a calming effect.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Servant of God

A lot of people use medical detox but I don't believe in it unless it's medically necessary. There's something to be said going through a tough detox if you can do so without sizable risk. Maybe if the detox is easy, or even just not excruciating, it has less value and a relapse more likely? I personally plan to remember forever how hard withdrawal was and use it for myself.

This isn't something to play with and its not for everyone. Talk to a Dr and be honest then make your best move.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

The problem with detox is you never know if it's 'medically necessary' until you're right in the middle of it

I detoxed at home without help many times - I see how foolish that was now because my last detox was horrific....I'm still dealing with the legacy.

It's serious stuff.

Its in our rules thats it's best to seek medical supervision for detox - but I don't say it's best to seek medical advice as just something modish to say - I really mean it.

I hope you will Canter - at the very least, you can set your mind to rest

D
Old 05-20-2011, 04:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sounds like you're getting anxiety. Hang in there and once your brain chemistry balances out it should go away. If its really bad see a doctor
Old 05-21-2011, 09:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Your body is healing. Alcohol is toxic; it does a number on our bodies and brains. If you concentrate, I bet you can feel yourself getting better as we speak. Any time you feel sick or shaky, just tell yourself that.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I went through medical detox, and am very glad I did.

Even back then, I knew that everything that I tried to do by myself, for myself had been wrong and got me where I didn't want to be. As much as I thought I knew, I knew nothing.

White knuckling through detox serves no purpose - I had plenty of reminders in my life up to that point to know that my drinking was unmanageable. I didn't have to go through more pain to make the message stick in my mind. I had had enough.

Recovery is about reaching out for help, and there is no shame in that. That includes medical advice.

I hope you seek it - there's no reason to go through all of that.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
FT

Hi canterbell,

First of all, you are not a "needy pain". You are why this forum exists, in my opinion. We are here to share experiences and offer support. As long as people who come here know that we are ALL only sharing personal experience, I don't think the poster is at great risk of thinking they are getting "medical advice." Isn't a disclaimer enough? Maybe not, as sometimes posters will recommend certain "regimens" or offer up their experience as "the way to do it." Well, anyone reading here long enough comes to realize pretty quickly that there is no "one right way" to recovery. We are too individual, medically, psychologically, and in every other other way.

I had to throw my two cents in, and then I'll butt out.

The "trouble" with coming to a moderated forum like SR, as I see it, is that we are all so afraid that what we say might be construed as "medical advice" that many of us are reluctant to say anything at all. I think that is unfortunate.

I came to this forum last December in full blown oxycodone withdrawal. I had already BEEN to doctors, and I was not seeking medical advice. I wanted to hear about what was happening to me from real people who had done this before I did.

The danger is, some people may come here instead of going to a doctor. So, we all tell that person they need to seek medical advice. Personally, I found that a bit patronizing. I am an adult and I KNOW THAT.

So, canterbell, I hope you can sift out what you need here. It is good to know when you should seek medical care, and it is always good to have a plan as to where you will go if you decide you need to do that. I know I did. I had the numbers of the ER right next to me at all times when I was in withdrawal, because I feared a seizure. No one wants to find out later on that you stayed at home and did not get help because of something you read here.

That is the fear, so heed it.

A last note -- I quit drinking over 20 years ago without medical supervision. Looking back, for me it was the right thing to do. It took a weeks to feel halfway "normal" for me, then it took several YEARS before I stopped thinking about drinking on a daily basis. Most people seem to do better with a support group like AA, so I would highly recommend that.

Enough from me.

FT
Old 05-21-2011, 11:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hello ..

I just wanted to say thank you to all of you who have taken the time to read my post, and write back.

I totally underestimated how hard this would be, but then I didnt have a problem, so why would stopping drinking be difficult??

I think now that I did, or even maybe do have a problem with alcohol. I am just grateful that I have caught it early enough that my fight shouldnt be as difficult as most of your has been and continues to be..

So an update on how I am doing...

I think i might have had some sort of episode last night, I found myself laying in my bed, with blood on my face, and a bite mark on my tongue, and I am ashamed to say my bed was wet too. I have no idea how or when this happened??

That said, I feel physically better again today, day four without a drink, I have wanted one each and every day for the last four days, and I am sure that I will want one tomorrow too, but right now, today, I can say that I will resist, I hope that tomorrow I will be as resolute..

I am not going to lie to you all, I am scared, and I am most scared for myself and my resolve next week, my house mate will be away for a week, and I will have some money and no place to go. As I have said before, much like many of you, I drink to numb and quieten my head. I think I also drink cos I am lonely and bored..

Next week will be a challenge...

I hope you will stick with me, I dont want to be alone.

*hugs to you all*
Old 05-21-2011, 01:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
FT

Canterbell,

You have just illustrated why everyone here is so afraid you will try to find self help here instead of going to a doctor, which is really where you belong.

If that "episode" doesn't scream at you that YOU NEED TO GO SEE A DOCTOR, then I don't know what will convince you that you need to get to medical care like RIGHT NOW.

You are describing something that sounds an awful lot like a seizure, but even that cannot be "diagnosed" here. We are NOT here to do that for you. Everyone here has tried to tell you not to go without medical help, especially by trying to substitute what you find here as reassurance that you don't need to do that.

You have heard from others here, including me, that some of us have done this without medical supervision.

You are NOT in that camp. Anyone whose alcohol or drug addiction puts them in the class of those at risk for seizures is risking serious personal injury, or even death, if you don't get some help.

A seizure is no small "symptom." It is a MAJOR one. Get some medical help NOW.

FT
Old 05-21-2011, 01:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Canterbell,

You need to see a Dr., you probably had a seizure. These can kill you. Go to a Dr. now. They will likely give you anti-seizure meds amd high BP medicine, amongs other things. This is not medical advice, this is what happened to me.