Fear in the form of the truth

Old 05-18-2011, 03:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fear in the form of the truth

Hi. It has been ages since I last posted on here. My heroin addict boyfriend celebrated a year this month and things have been great. He called me earlier today from work to let me know he put a drill bit through his thumb and was at the er. He works at a hospital. I told him to call me later and update me. He called me and let me know that after telling the doctor his drug history and him being in pain the doctor insisted that a 2 mg percocet would be ok.

He did not take any home and currently is the night house manager of a sober house. I am terrified. He did all the right thugs called his sponsor and network and told me which I am sure is hard. He is going to a meeting tonight. I am just terrified and mad. I have never put a drill bit through my finger but bet I could survive the pain without pain meds. I will keep you posted but need support.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I am glad that your RAB has a year! That is Great!!!!!!!

I am just terrified and mad. I have never put a drill bit through my finger but bet I could survive the pain without pain meds.
NO I do not believe you could, I can say that as I have a very high pain tolerance and I did do what your BF did and I have never felt pain like that, even when having children, and yes I did it in sobriety.

What I hear from what you have reported is that your BF is doing ALL the correct things to not let it trigger him. He has called his sponsor and network, he is going to a meeting tonight where he will share and he told you. He will be alright I am sure, sounds like he is in the correct frame of mind for percocet to do what it is suppose to and that is put a blanket of sorts on the pain and not make him numb.

Now, maybe you should go to a meeting also tonight. You are 'awfulizing'. lol Yes,. I know, I do it also.

Take some deep breaths. Inhale, count to 10, exhale. Repeat 10 times. It will slow down your racing brain. A few repetitions of The Serenity Prayer will help also.

I am glad you realized what this information was doing to you and came here to post. We are always here for you.

He has been clean and sober a year, hopefully a bit of your trust is returning. Trust him on this one, sounds like he is doing what he should be to stay on the path in the face of adversity.

I know many addicts and/or alkies, myself included who have had to take narcotic pain meds for one reason or another and can do so as ordered with no side affects. Why, because we work a STRONG program of recovery.

Please try for a meeting for yourself tonight also.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 05-18-2011, 04:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Fear can cause us to do some pretty crazy things sometimes. Fear can make us think the worst. Fear is caused by the feeling of being unable to control what is happening.

As my signature says "There is no useful purpose in fearing that which we cannot control." Just saying those words helps to alleviate my fears.

It truly sounds like your BF is doing all the right things. Turn your fear into faith.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 05-18-2011, 04:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i'm so sorry you're panicking. i probably would be as well. it really stinks.

you both have a lot to be proud of. please put your desire (if you have it) to share your fear with him on the back burner until sometime down the road. he needs your support.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi C - good to see you

I have never put a drill bit through my finger but bet I could survive the pain without pain meds.
actually I bet you couldn't LOL. It's a pretty significant injury...

Sounds to me like your bf is doing all the right things C?

D
Old 05-19-2011, 09:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

bet I could survive the pain without pain meds.
Ouch. That's not very empathetic. I'll bet putting a drill bit through your hand hurts like H*LL, poor guy.

I hope that the percocet doesn't trigger a relapse for him. If he's truly committed to recovery, I imagine that he'll work to ensure it doesn't. I wish him the best. And you too. I hope you never put a drill bit through your hand, so you don't have to eat your words.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for responding. I probably didn't say that I did support him and in know way projected my fear on to him. I projected my fear on here. To my sponsor and network As I have atleast learned not to react today. I knew if I didn't get it out and hear the truth which all of you have told me and my network I would have reacted.

Thank you all for remindinge too that I was being selfish and diminishing his injury when I had no idea what it felt like. Thank you for putting this back on me.

I did hit a meeting last night and am going to one for the next few nights. I actually went to yesterday. Still angry but that is fear and my sponsor has told
Me to write inventory on it. Meditate and sit with my feelings and not react at all (even passive aggressively).

Today is our 2 year anniversary and I will celebrate that instead of negativity. God coda slips back in better call my coda sponsor too!!!

Thank you all again. I got exactly what I needed to hear the truth!
Old 05-20-2011, 08:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

((( hugs))). I think it's really hard to get to a place where we feel safe no matter what the addict in our lives chooses to do. I couldn't do it and keep in contact with the addict. I had to go no contact. I really don't know that I could do it if I was still living with my ex. It would suck the life out of me - although it was nice when he was clean for a period of time, he still had so many unresolved issues because he wasn't working a program and there was always that possibility of a relapse. It felt like eggshells. And then he really did relapse, which sucked - but I had my boundaries firmly in place which made it easier for me to get out. Not painless, but doable.

Hang in there. Meetings and counseling are a smart way to try to keep your focus on yourself and off your husband.

I hope he's feeling better.