Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

why dont people support other peoples responsible use of alcohol?

Notices

Old 05-17-2011, 12:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

ill admit i have quite the story to tell myself but in general its either all or nothing with recovery. hammered or priesthood. where is the group of reformed alcoholics who now responsibly use alcohol???

ie. i went to a ball game last sunday with the kids and had 1 beer. i cant remember when i only had 1 beer but had it i did and was fine with it. the thought of someone telling me i CANT do something only makes me want to do it more. so, i CANT drink because i drink too much? screw that!!! ill drink 1 to 2 miller lites and ill be the best most responsible drunk i can be.

wheres my atta boy?!?
Old 05-17-2011, 12:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

If your story is anything like mine, darknezz, I cant use alcohol responsibly. I've proven it a million times...

but I'll use those handful of times when I lucked out and drank 'just one' to kid myself that I can....

It's a fools game.

If you want recovery, you're in the right place.

Welcome
D
Old 05-17-2011, 12:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is a support forum for alcoholics/problem drinkers. If you don't have the problem, good for you. You shouldn't brag on here about the beer you had. You could trigger another member.

If you want an atta boy you won't get it from me. Drinking at the ballgame in front of your kid isn't praise worthy in my book.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Hey, if you can have just one and be done, then more power to you! I just know that if I have one, it'll more than likely lead to at least 10 more. If you find that alcohol is a problem for you, then we'll be here to try to help. If it's not a problem then why are you here in the first place?
Old 05-17-2011, 12:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Darknezz:

I see you are new to SR. It's a wonderful, positive place. Why did you join?
Old 05-17-2011, 12:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

We are here to support you if you want to stop drinking.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'd have one at a time with dinner for a week, or a month. Maybe two, and skip some days. Then three one night, and then off my rocker -- and I'd wake up with a hangover feeling ashamed and guilty, sorry that my husband is disappointed, apologizing for whatever unfair thing I did or said while drunk, etc.

So yeah, I could go to a game and have one beer, too -- but eventually, in a week or a month or three months or whenever -- I'll get drunk, and the time between those periods will get shorter and shorter.

What puzzles me about your post is that someone said you "CAN'T" drink. Who said that? I think it's really up to you whether you want to drink or want to quit.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Missy7 View Post
Darknezz:

I see you are new to SR. It's a wonderful, positive place. Why did you join?
because im an alcoholic. trying to find some like-minded people i guess. i work at home at my computer so i have lots of spare time.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

ill drink 1 to 2 miller lites and ill be the best most responsible drunk i can be.

What-Evah!!! People that drink 1 or 2 beers don't drink to get drunk..which says to me that you have alcoholic thinking!!!

where is the group of reformed alcoholics who now responsibly use alcohol???

They are dying a slow death because they talked themselves back into the cycle of drinking and can't get out.

Welcome darknezz...
Old 05-17-2011, 01:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Darklight View Post
At first glance, I'd say you're a troll. However, I would wonder why, with all the thousands of forums out there on the web, you'd go to the trouble to make an account here, or how you'd even think to look up a forum like this one.

Perhaps something led you here.

Something to think about.
i googled can alcoholics drink na beer. this forum is the #1 response, try it for yourself if youd like. lurked for a few weeks and joined today.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well then good. Just hang out and figure out what you want to happen for yourself. There are lots of supportive people here sharing their ups and downs.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If you want support and help recovering from alcoholism we are here

Wishing you the best!
Old 05-17-2011, 01:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I thought for years I could be a responsible drinker, and lots of times I could for may-be a week or two, but I always ended up back in the same position, which was drunk 7 days a week. For me the choice was quit drinking completely or die from drinking. If your interested in quitting drinking this is a great place to be, if you interested in moderation probably not the best site for you. It's an individual choice for each person, good luck in whatever decision you make.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
BHF

Responsible drinkers do not usually need support.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

Normal drinkers don't need support when the drink only one or two beers. Last time I checked, nobody was handing out trophies for "responsible drinking "either.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by darknezz View Post
because im an alcoholic. trying to find some like-minded people i guess. i work at home at my computer so i have lots of spare time.
If you are an alcoholic, you will never be satisfied with one or two miller lites. You may be able to control your drinking for a period of time, but it is likely you will be absolutely miserable doing it, and also likely it will lead to much more drinking.

If you can drink one or two, you are not an alcoholic, and you have no need for recovery.

I do not understand where your concept of "reformed" alcoholic comes from. Those alcoholics who go back to drinking are either drunk, dead or locked up.

Good luck to you.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I hope you find whatever you are looking for.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BHF View Post
Responsible drinkers do not usually need support.
but alcoholics who chose to responsibly drink should though. i am a certified alc, 12-18 beers a night every night. i was obviously over-doing it and had to dry out. now i am just beginning my own form of recovery and who knows in a year or so could be a part of the choir. but for now i realize i was abusing something and if i want to continue to enjoy beer i need to not abuse it. so now im not.

i see so far there are others who tried what i am now trying but everyone failed. not looking too good for me, YIKES!
Old 05-17-2011, 01:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bikeguy View Post
I thought for years I could be a responsible drinker, and lots of times I could for may-be a week or two, but I always ended up back in the same position, which was drunk 7 days a week. For me the choice was quit drinking completely or die from drinking. If your interested in quitting drinking this is a great place to be, if you interested in moderation probably not the best site for you. It's an individual choice for each person, good luck in whatever decision you make.
I totally relate. Its easier for me to not drink than to try to moderate.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

when I was drinking a lot of times I only had one or two, the problem was when I had more then 2 that's when I could not stop and would blackout. And for me it was hard to just have two so I decided to quit altogehter.