OT: The Lost Soul and The Terminator

Old 05-17-2011, 11:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT: The Lost Soul and The Terminator

I've been mesmerized by the Maria Shriver/Arnold Schwarzegger split--especially with the reports that Maria has been a "lost soul" for some time, diminished by Ahnold's ego.

Wow, so I feel like I'm in good company. If Maria Shriver can be reduced by some egotistical, testosterone-driven Mr Wonderful, how hard is it for the rest of us? There have been a few threads lately about "how do I get back to being ME?" And all the while Maria is probably sitting in a crazy beautiful spot overlooking the Pacific Ocean thinking the same thing.

Any thoughts? It's off-topic, but reminds me of the egotism and narcissism a lot of us are living with, to the detriment of our own lost souls.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Geez, how self-centered am I... I saw Terminator and I thought you were referring to my thread where I talked about feeling like I was Terminating my marriage!!!!

Guess my recovery is working

It's all about me... me.... me.... ME!!!!
Old 05-17-2011, 12:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GettingBy View Post
Geez, how self-centered am I... I saw Terminator and I thought you were referring to my thread where I talked about feeling like I was Terminating my marriage!!!!

Guess my recovery is working

It's all about me... me.... me.... ME!!!!
Great! At least you're not a lost soul!
Old 05-17-2011, 12:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

As for getting back to "me".... it takes time and patience. I started small (like bringing back foods I like, drinking "fancy" coffees that made me happy... little things that were JUST FOR ME)... then I started exercising again (this was a HUGE one to get me feeling better!!), then running with others... then pouring myself back into my engineering as my self-esteem came back.

I feel very good about myself today. I like who I am as a person, and how I handle myself, and the way I live. I feel like I'm working towards a version of "me" that I never imagined could exist... and the thought of what I could become once I am free from the alcoholism... oye! Exciting!!

It's so easy to lose your identity when your entrenched in an unhealthy relationship, and so focused on the other person and all the problems. It takes time to get life back to an even keel.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

FWIW, I don't see her as a lost soul at all. I've seen many interviews of her and followed some of the causes she works for. It seems to me she is a well-grounded person who knows what's important in her life. But, like many of us, she has been on the fence about whether to end her marriage or not. And, also like many of us, she finally had enough.

L
Old 05-17-2011, 01:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Seems to be the norm for the big name hollywoods.
I can't quite make a comparison of them to me. They're swimming in mounds of money. I'm not. I don't buy any of this lost soul business. No, I'm not taking sides here either. I just think they've always been actors or living in the actors world. How real can it be?
Old 05-17-2011, 06:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't know....it just make me feel like we are all more alike than we are different. Maybe some of us are rich, wealthy, or famous but even then we can feel like a lost soul.

There are many of us that wear the mask of accomplishment, poise, and dignity that underneath it all don't know where in the world that we went.

I hope that she realizes that her husbands choices and misdeeds are absolutely no reflection on her or her value.

The Terminator is giving me a huge case of the yucks!
Old 05-17-2011, 11:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't know....it just make me feel like we are all more alike than we are different. Maybe some of us are rich, wealthy, or famous but even then we can feel like a lost soul.

There are many of us that wear the mask of accomplishment, poise, and dignity that underneath it all don't know where in the world that we went.
Absofrigginlutely agreed. And I think that's vitally important -- that this mothereffing disease is the ultimate equal opportunity offender: It doesn't see to race, sex, creed, status, sexual orientation, income level, cultural background or anything else. It just eats people indiscriminately.

I don't think any money, education, family background, or career in the world can inoculate you against falling into codependency. Matter of fact, it makes some sense that a Kennedy woman would...
Old 05-18-2011, 10:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I wasn't negating the unbiased capacity of codependency to eat at a person.