Notices

I dreamed I drank!!

Old 05-17-2011, 07:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I dreamed I drank!!

Last night I dreamed I'd had a glass of wine. I felt terrible about blowing it just short of my 30 days. I was hoping it was a dream.

Then I dreamed I woke up (!) and sure enough, there was the glass with a sip or two of wine left in it, so I drank that, feeling guilty.

Then I really woke up and thought, "Whew!!!"

Anyone else had this experience?
Old 05-17-2011, 07:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's very normal to have drinking dreams. At least it's just a dream.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by FreeDance View Post
Anyone else had this experience?
Not about drinking, but I've had the dream where I "wake" up and I'm still dreaming. Dreamt my old, crippled dog had fallen down the step to my utility room. I wake up and run out to the kitchen to check and discover that she really did fall and is lying at the bottom of the steps bleeding. Remember thinking, I can't believe I just dreamt she fell.

At that point I really do awaken from the dream, get up and check and my dog is sleeping on her bed in the kitchen.

Weird.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
...is learning and growing...

This has happened to most of us and can be very disconcerting. Right after I quit, I was having really specific dreams in terms of the brand of liquor and all that. Then I didn't have another one for weeks. Over the weekend, I had a dream about champagne and that I kept drinking and it wouldn't give me a buzz ?! Lol
Old 05-17-2011, 07:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I'm going on 2 years sober and I just had one of my most vivid drinking dreams this past weekend. Thank goodness they are just dreams!
Old 05-17-2011, 08:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was sober for 10 years. Even after that length of time, I still had dreams of getting drunk. I don't think it will ever leave us. The fact that I was sober for 10 years and went back to drinking 5 years ago is proof to me. I too have had a dream that I was dreaming and thought I woke up but I was still dreaming. Strange feeling. Day 15 for me by the way. This time it is forever. I pray for it anyway.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lpnangel View Post
I was sober for 10 years. Even after that length of time, I still had dreams of getting drunk. I don't think it will ever leave us. The fact that I was sober for 10 years and went back to drinking 5 years ago is proof to me. I too have had a dream that I was dreaming and thought I woke up but I was still dreaming. Strange feeling. Day 15 for me by the way. This time it is forever. I pray for it anyway.
what made you go back after 10 years? Nevertheless, and excellent feat.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I started drinking at 18 with my first ex husband. Got divorced after being with him for 6 years. Met my 2nd ex husband (great track record) who was a very strong christian. He didn't drink. We had a child together. I quit for 10 years. We divorced. My current boyfriend likes his scotch and loves to go to night clubs to listen to bands. What started out being every other weekend, progress to 3-5 times a week after 5 years. The rest is history.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah, last night I dreamed that I had experienced some tragedy (can't remember what) and that I coped by downing 3 martinis. Then in the dream I felt ****** about relapsing. It was so real.

Strange stuff.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yep... I have them, sometimes several times a week, depending on how rock bottom my self esteem is cratering. From what I understand, they are _very_ normal. They Can be more than abit un-nerving, especially when you first wake up! But, they're only dreams and have no power over us! Just our "animal" brain trying to talk us into going back IMO.

..Mike
Old 05-17-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I get dreams about things I quit all the time, especially right after quitting. I quit smoking cigarettes seven years ago and had those dreams occasionally. I had my first drinking dream, and I'm one or two months into recovery. It's part of the process. Your subconscious is acting out because your conscious mind is off-duty.

Just be glad that you woke up and it was a dream, that you haven't compromised your sobriety, and know that as a reward, you aren't waking up hungover
Old 05-17-2011, 04:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have them. Not often but 1 or 2 times a month. I always get mad at myself in my drinking dreams, asking myself why I went and started drinking again.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I still get using dreams once in a while, and I haven't used in 2 years, I got them a lot when I first stopped , they person in my group treatment said that that was pretty normal. Mind you I don't know if it's normal to have dreams sometimes still after 2 years.