Notices

simple/stupid question

Old 05-16-2011, 11:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

simple/stupid question

I forwarded this site to someone because of how usefull it has been to many of us. They greatly appreciated it, but had one question about the website.
Why are the 12 steps at the top of the web page numbered from top to bottom? Does this represent something in aa? Both me and my friend are still learning a lot about aa. It wasn't until just last month I was told about the aa triangle symbol.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Don't know why they are in that format on the site...but they are numbered so that you start at 1 and finish at 12 when doing the initial work with a sponsor:-)
Old 05-17-2011, 12:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Love them anyway...

lol this makes me giggle because when I first met with my sponsor I tried to tell her I had already done the first three steps on my own so we could go ahead to step 4....imagine my surprise when she insisted we do them in order, yup starting at 1, together.

Glad the site has been a blessing!
Old 05-17-2011, 12:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SoberDreams

Perhaps because as we step down, they get easier? And upon completion we have reached the bottom? Wait, I mean top! No clue man! Maybe it makes the steps seem less daunting?
Old 05-17-2011, 01:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DUNE View Post
I forwarded this site to someone because of how usefull it has been to many of us. They greatly appreciated it, but had one question about the website.
Why are the 12 steps at the top of the web page numbered from top to bottom? Does this represent something in aa? Both me and my friend are still learning a lot about aa. It wasn't until just last month I was told about the aa triangle symbol.
May I just say something with the utmost humility ?

Im only here , on this site, because I want to get better.

Dont worry about the 12 steps...

it is a stucture to help people and it is wonderful

Firstly

How are YOU going ???

What is happening in your life???

Please feel more than free to post on this site.

We are all great people albiet ...had problems...

In 2011 people call them "Issues " LOL

Stay in touch ..

dont worry too much about this and that...

Im proud of you , for having the guts to post here.

Well done

My friend

L
Old 05-17-2011, 04:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dune... LOL... You're right ... Seems they should be from bottom to top!!

If you want to know more about AA, go to a meeting and don't leave without a big book... They don't cost much, and most meetings will give you one if you can't cover the cost.

As much as I like SR, and I do like it, SR is not the best place to learn about AA.... Read the book, get to a meeting... See it, feel it, in real life... Get your own experience, not someone else's...
Old 05-17-2011, 07:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Brae View Post
lol this makes me giggle because when I first met with my sponsor I tried to tell her I had already done the first three steps on my own so we could go ahead to step 4....imagine my surprise when she insisted we do them in order, yup starting at 1, together.
This was almost exactly my experience.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your responces. I was hoping to find an answer that related the order from top-to-bottom, to something symbolic in aa. But I guess that's just the way the web designer wanted to do it.

Just so that some of you understand where I'm at....I've been in aa for about a year, have a big book and have been studying it along with the 12step book. i've also been listening and studying the 'joe and charlie" audio recordings, witch have been extreemly helpfull.

I've worked most of the steps in order, with the exception of step 5. I don't have a problem with 5, but i have had a big problem with sponsorship. Several of my sponsors have not worked out, for very significant reasons. i could always go to a confession booth or do 5 with one of my close friends in aa. But to be honest, i've been more focused on steps 10 & 11.

i currently do not have a sponsor. i have been procrastinating on that this past week, and should get one, even if it's a temp sponsor. i can do stepwork with my previous sponsor over the phone, but i know that's not an ideal situation. having had sponsors in the past that have done poorly at teaching me what the steps are all about, i'm very cautious about who to choose. i've met a lot of guys that are willing to be my sponsor, but after talking to them for a while, i can tell that thier understanding of the steps and what it is all about is somewhat limited to their personal exspirience.

i hate to sound choosy or demanding, but after puting my trust in someone in the past, and then aventually realizing that we were doing things the wrong way, it's hard not to be cautious. i know that i shouldn't just do this "my way", however I tried to dive into this with the attitude of doing what I'm told and just hope for the best. But that didn't work out too good.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by DUNE View Post
Why are the 12 steps at the top of the web page numbered from top to bottom? Does this represent something in aa?
IMNSHO the steps lead up to sobriety if you use them as an "End of Drinking Program".

Or they can lead down to Humility if you use them as an "End of Suffering Program".

Either way, it represents nothing in AA.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Do your fifth step with a pastor or priest, I did.