Notices

So I went back to college last night...

Old 05-15-2011, 09:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So I went back to college last night...

...to see some friends that I haven't seen since I've been home sobering up, and to see off some friends that graduated etc. As you can imagine, this is a big drinking weekend...and I did NOT drink a single sip (sorry to take the suspense out of the thread...haha). And wasn't really that hard to not drink...

But I learned some things in the last 24 hours. I've learned how far I've come since I quit drinking 4 months ago. I was around people drinking/getting drunk all day and night.

Here's a list of thing I saw:

My friends mom was wasted. Before she left she was yelling "Congrats motherf*cker!!!!" and repeated it about 5 times.

Another friend asking a girl at a graduation party "Hey, show me your ****!" This was in front of parents and strangers at an apartment of people we don't know that well. How embarrassing...

Same friend choking out another friend for fun, and then getting his nose broken by the guy he was choking. In front of parents. And, in front of strangers. Same apartment.

Same friend drove himself to the hospital, and today didn't remember much of what happened. Obviously he shouldn't have driven.

Another friend had a girl over that peed the bed.

And other than that, just random acts of drunkeness such as people yelling, stumbling, passing out, being stupid etc.

So, I've really learned how stupid it all is. I'm no longer 'jealous' of my friends since they can go out and 'have fun' and I can't. I mean, this was it? This is what I had done 4 times a week every week for 5 whole years? This is what I'm missing out on since I moved back home for a while? This, and a bunch of drama between guys and girls that just gets exacerbated by alcohol. So Fing stupid that I used to even pay attention to any of that.

And as some of you may know, I will be moving back in a few weeks so I can finish school. And I posted a thread a few days ago about how I'm worried about relapsing and not doing well in class among other things.

Well now, since I went back for a night, I'm really not all that worried. If my friends want to go out and get wasted and do stupid things, that's fine. They don't need me to be there with them, and I don't want to be there. Someday they will arrive at the same place I'm at by looking back and shaking their heads.

I really think I have come a long way, and although I'm still kinda disorganized and I'm lazy sometimes (aside from working 50 hour weeks)...I think I've grown up a lot, at least compared to the circus clowns I saw this weekend.

Anyway, thanks for reading if you made it this far. In 3 weeks I start classes again and will be done with school in August. This will be the beginning of the end of this chapter of my life, and I couldn't be more ready.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

And to add, I wasn't just some social drinker that went out and got hammered at the bars all the time. My drinking alone problem just sort of thrived off of that. I always had to be drunk, or I didn't feel "right". But now, I just don't want anything to do with either one...
Old 05-16-2011, 03:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post. Today is officially one year since I graduated from university, and I can totally visualize everything you related. I used to get so wrapped up in the drama bull****, caring SOOOO much about what people thought about me, all that crap. I also remember thinking my friends' parents were so cool for getting wasted with us. It all seems so immature and juvenile now.

I guess that's all part of growing up. Maybe if I hadn't done that BS then, I would be doing it now. Who knows. I'm just glad I'm over it. Some people never move on.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
King of Fools

good stuff... being in that environment could definitely trigger some craves/thirsts and you fought through them (with relative ease it seems too which rocks). keep on going.

the stuff you mentioned about the friends mother, the childish behavior and such... happened to me a few times, sometimes with family even. you get to the point when you're sober and you kind of are staring around with a question mark look asking yourself "wait this was me?" or "i had fun with this?"
Old 05-16-2011, 05:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

@Billsaint... The parents thing is a whole other issue. I mean, I've never seen my parents even close to as drunk as some parents I saw this weekend. I don't have a problem with it, but it seems like they're just enabling their kids even more to develop a drinking problem like i did.

Originally Posted by firewalkwithme View Post
good stuff... being in that environment could definitely trigger some craves/thirsts and you fought through them (with relative ease it seems too which rocks). keep on going.

the stuff you mentioned about the friends mother, the childish behavior and such... happened to me a few times, sometimes with family even. you get to the point when you're sober and you kind of are staring around with a question mark look asking yourself "wait this was me?" or "i had fun with this?"
My point it exactly...It was like looking upon myself and my friends as the ghost of christmas past or something.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
dfw

Honestly sometimes when I see people I know from college get really drunk and I'm sober, I tend to think…how did I do that to myself?

It's extremely entertaining to watch drunk college kids though, like you said it's like watching ghosts of the past.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Do you really find it entertaining dfw?
I find it tragic.

D