Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

For those who see an addiction counselor, how did you find him/her?

Notices

Old 05-14-2011, 06:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I think this is something I want to add to my recovery as I have really good health insurance. For those of you who see (or used one at one time) an addiction counselor or life coach, how did you find them? Yellow pages? Word of mouth? Doctor referral? I am very shy in nature so I want to find someone that I feel comfortable with. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's a long story but I eventually found the right person via the Psychology Today site. There's a "find a therapist" section on the site. Your primary care physician might also have some good recommendations. It's hit and miss though, don't be discouraged if your first couple of attempts don't work out like you're hoping.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was made to see an addiction counselor as a condition of being sent to detox by our local substance abuse agency. I lucked out as my counselor is worth her weight in gold.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I was fortunate, the counselor was very interested in seeing that I needed a recovery method that did not conflict with my most cherished beliefs. We discussed AA but we came to the life saving conclusion that I needed more than that to recover from alcoholism.

It was a good start as I didn't have a clue as to what to do as far as being recovered from addiction. Fortunately I was put on the right course. I was able to trust my counselor and didn't have worries that my most personal details would blabbed about in meetings (as I have witnessed before). All and all it was the smartest move I ever made.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My life coach came into my life at the right time (one of those metaphysical things, you know...when you are ready the teacher will find You)

I have a lot of friends who are in some form of therapy or another...the key is to interview a bunch...recommendations are nice but there is an essential chemistry between two people which is essential imo.

If your insurance is good they might have some type of referal system.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Doctor referral, was just lucky I have a good team in my area. And they do all work as a team, sometimes they share information, which I agreed to.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Im in Canada and just called up the local Board of Health.
I was amazed to find all the help available and have been seeing an Addiction Counselor for almost 4 months now, along with accupunture treatment.. all covered by my medical insurance.