Notices

Totally irrelevant observation

Old 05-11-2011, 12:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Day 10

Totally irrelevant observation

I know this is totally irrelevant but I noticed that a lot of us seem to be dog / animal lovers. I wonder if this is a common trait amongst people with addictions. my brother is a bi polar addict with addiction and aggression problems, but show him kitten or puppy and he's putty - instantly. Just wondering: any thoughts?
Old 05-11-2011, 12:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm actually really interested in our other like traits. We do love our animals. I wonder if we are all anxious. I wonder if anything could be done with birth order or hobbies or what.

I'll tell you what I do know: there is a huge range of capability here. Lots of bright people. And great writing across the board (English teacher--sorry.)
Old 05-11-2011, 01:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know if I would be here, were it not for the undying love of my precious Kimmie. It may be that we, as addicts, isolate ourselves and drive people away from us, and so we turn to our beloved pets.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Guilty. Dog-LOVER!

That's "Mister" in my Avatar. Best-Dog-Ever.
I also have an 8 month Pug named "Cubbie" who reminds me daily to say the "Serenity Prayer"...LOL.

Never really looked at it, but as much as I isolated myself from others during my active alcoholism years, I never isolated my dogs. Huh...great post.

Zube
Old 05-11-2011, 01:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Big dog lover. I took care of my dog the first two months of sobriety. I had to stay clear and focused to keep him alive.
SH
Old 05-11-2011, 01:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Right Where I am Suppose to be

I prefer my dogs to people at times!!!! My great dane died before just before i got sober, he saved me on many occasions when i had passed out. I believe his time came as i was ready to get sober as he passed away unexpectedly. I now have a German Shep, terrier & a dalmatian who have never seen me drunk!!! Unconditional love from my dogs pick me up when the days seems hard. People can be so complicated but not dogs!!!! Soberity rocks
Old 05-11-2011, 01:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was discussing this with my therapist this week. I have a hard time feeling love for and hugging people but no problem at all with my dogs. For me, it's because they love me unconditionally and I know they will never hurt me so I don't have to put my walls up. I'm so very thankful that I have them.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Big animal lover here too. My dogs are my daily therapy. They give me a reason for living to give them the best life they can have. I don't mind being poor as long as my dogs are rich.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Morning guys, I can totally relate, my Labrador loves me unconditionally and I draw a lot of strength from that and I adore her. Having said that, my 7 year old son is my greatest fan and biggest inspiration. I couldn't get through day 2 on my first attempts, I don't know why I couldn't do it for myself but when I decided to do it for him I managed it. I know I have to do this for me but doing it for him the first few days worked for me - sorry I seem to have gone way off topic now but it just came out......
Old 05-11-2011, 08:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My boys have kept me alive during some pretty rough times. No doubt about it. Without the Choopster (he's the cool one in my profile pic) and Milo keeping me in line I'd have certainly topped myself. So add me to the list of addicts who turn to mush over pets, although I find "pet" a derogatory term lol. These little guys aren't pets, their my BEST FRIENDS, full stop.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am lucky enough to share my home with my two dogs, two cats and parakeet Tweet. It's a love-fest!

SD
Old 05-11-2011, 08:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

<------- yep I pretty much look like that

and Im a dog lover too.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great question, and wonderful posts.

I was 5 years sober back in 93 before I was in a position to have a dog. Shilo, the sweetest Chesapeake Bay ever.

Taking care of dogs and drinking, as wonderful as THEY are, .... isn't even close to the same experience.

My neighbor's mixed retriever, Oscar, we affectionately call "the Best Dog in the Whole World" <smile> .....now that Shilo has long passed, I really think he is !?!
Old 05-12-2011, 12:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Day 10

Originally Posted by binderdonedat View Post
My boys have kept me alive during some pretty rough times. No doubt about it. Without the Choopster (he's the cool one in my profile pic) and Milo keeping me in line I'd have certainly topped myself. So add me to the list of addicts who turn to mush over pets, although I find "pet" a derogatory term lol. These little guys aren't pets, their my BEST FRIENDS, full stop.
I wish there was a "like" button here somewhere! I would like every single post simply because I can relate to all of them especially the above post about pets not being pets but best friends. They so are. I have 5 pooches, a boxer and 4 shepherd cross (something lol). They are the absolute joy of my life (with my human kids of course) and I take genuine comfort from them when I'm feeling low. Especially the boxer who just seems to know when I'm not doing so good. then I'm bestowed with the absolute most wonderful, yet debilitating, hug you could imagine (debilitating because he's really heavy and I can't move :-).
Old 05-12-2011, 12:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SoberDreams

I love animals! Was originally a dog person, but have grown to love my girlfriends cats. They love me back too, and for cats that is saying a lot, as cats are really freaking picky. Just wish they would learn to come when called! It gets really old asking for a cat to come to you, but I have learned to accept it and not judge.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Day 10

Seth, Cats own us. They look down their noses at us and when we get it right then they praise us with a purry rub. they are snooty bloody things but I love their character and snootiness all the same. I am owned by a cat too - in fact I am owned by a few but they chose not to live with me anymore because they are ferral. we rescued them when they were kittens and as they grew older they went back to their roots, but they still come and say hi to me if I'm walking around the farms. I beleive that animals are proof that there is a higher power.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
SoberDreams

So true Laura, so true. I think that cats look at us as their pets! They play with us when they have time, otherwise, they are too busy doing whatever it is they do.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Day 10

like sleeping in the sun you mean - observing the world through superior eyes lol lol
Old 05-12-2011, 03:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I know this is totally irrelevant but I notice that my cat (who is a catnip addict and totally agressive) seems to be a people lover. But show him a people and he's putty--instantly.