Notices

Day 5 ... rolling along ...

Old 05-11-2011, 12:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5 ... rolling along ...

I suppose I am lucky to be busy at work which kicks the habit of clock watching when getting clean ... the ride home is a trial as this was the lead up to the first drink, so I am trying a different route to break the pattern ... so far the worst of it is not sleeping and waking confused but I know this will pass ... slowly coming out of the dark into the sunshine! Just rambling I know, but feels good to 'put' it down somewhere!
Old 05-11-2011, 12:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations Day Five! I'm on Day Two this round. I really like your observation about the drive home. Drinking is definitely a pattern. I cannot tell you how many glasses of wine I have poured with my purse and bookbag still on my shoulder. Then off they slide and I slide into the couch. Which would be fine if I stayed there...

So the pattern is important. I'm thiinking I might stop grocery shopping by the week. Instead, despite it costing more, I could stop at a nice store and pick something up each day. Then I would have to go home and make it....

Or, get a frappucino instead. Slide into the couch, just like normal.

Still figuring it out y'all.

Congrats and keep at it.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you!

Keep aiming at Dancing in the Light!
Old 05-11-2011, 01:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Arc
Day 34

Congratulations on day 5, and just like you said rolling along.. and then it'll be day 6. It was always clockwork with me, stopping off on the way home to pick up a 30 pack at the beer distributor, throwing a few in the freezer to get cold faster and popping them.

Now, as corny as it may sound, I've been picking up big packs of bottled water. So instead of sitting down and getting into my nightly routine with a beer, I drink a few bottles of water before bed to clean my system out. Its worked for me so far! Day 15 here.

I wish you all the best.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Keep it going holdfold

D
Old 05-11-2011, 05:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 5! Keep it up, in my experience it will get easier... then harder... then easier again. Just when I feel like I am not able to stick with it the cravings will somehow lessen, which has been wonderful. I also like to remind myself that it is perfectly fine for me to feel ANY way that I want during this process, as long as I do not drink. Sometimes I even allow myself to hate sobriety, but that feeling has never lasted very long.
Good luck!
Old 05-11-2011, 06:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congrats on your 5 days! I think TripleThreat has a great point - just expect/accept that you'll have all kinds of feelings and moods and be patient with yourself. You're doing great!
Old 05-11-2011, 08:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 5!! Keep rollin'....
Old 05-11-2011, 09:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
orangutan

Congratulations day 5 keep moving forward.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You what's weird - for the first 6 weeks or so after I quit drinking, whenever I drove by my regular convenience store where I bought my daily chardonnay and smokes for years, I would flinch. My arms and neck would sort of shudder. I could hide it when someone else was in the car, but when I was alone, I let it all out. Haven't done that in months.

Still get a tiny shudder if I smell wine (like at a restaurant.)

I turned myself into a Pavlov experiment, apparently.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
The Winner Takes It All!!!!!

5 days is better than 0 days, and tomorrow will be better than todays days, well done, keep going, you will do it.