Notices

Hello, back after a LONG absence

Old 05-10-2011, 09:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello, back after a LONG absence

Hello All- my last visit to this site was 8/12/09... I had finally achieved some lasting sobriety in June of 2010 that lasted just shy of 9 months. (hey, it was lasting by my prior standards! It took me 10 months before I was able to string together my first 30 continuous days of sobriety.) After I relapsed this past February and drank two bottles of wine one night, I got right back on the wagon but I have had 3 other brief lapses, longest one lasting 7 days. Shortest was last night, with just one normal sized bottle of wine. Since my last time here I have become involved in AA which I love, but I am hoping being back on this site will give me the additional support I apparently need during my evenings home alone.

I am glad to be back here and very glad to be sober tonight!

Love to all-
SD
Old 05-10-2011, 09:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm with ya.. I love AA but late nights this site gives me something to do other then drinking.

I'm glad you are sober tonight too.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back. I really appreciate the struggle we are both in. I'm sure you are right about SR too! Welcome to the conversation.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Thanks for coming back. I'm really glad you did. I am so thankful for this site and the wonderful people here who do so much to help so many people, people they'll never even meet. Even when I'm not here, this site helps me. I think of the people here who give so much of themselves, and it gives me that extra little motivation to resist temptation.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Snowdog

I hope this time can be your time
D
Old 05-10-2011, 10:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SoberDreams

Helps to see a story of how easy it is to get caught back up in the mailase that is alcoholism. Why did you drink again? Did you think you could 'handle it?'
Old 05-11-2011, 04:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Snowdog - Glad to see you here, and thankful you are not giving up.

You have something on your nose.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Your post has taught me something and i really appreciate you sharing. No amount of sober time cures us. No amount makes us invincible against this thing. Im glad you are back. Glad you are sober! I hope you continue to share and post. My best!
Old 05-11-2011, 05:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Strive to be alive!

You sharing your experience helps me realize how important it is to stay in the program and utilize the steps in my every day life. Like Dee said, hope this time is your time. Keep strong and practice what you are learning in the program, it works. Love out to you xoxoxo
Old 05-11-2011, 05:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Glad to see you here! Ive been on the sober wagon for 2 weeks now, and riding shotgun! Shotgun is the only seat to sit in I say! Why? Because you can look ahead and just over those hills is a green pasture filled with mental clarity. Theres still lot of empty seats up here in the front man, so join me - Its a hell of a view

But I have to ask. What's a "Normal sized bottle of wine?" I laughed when I read that. I think its relative to the person. My normal sized bottle of wine wasnt even a bottle at all. My normal sized bottle of wine was more shaped in a square format lol.

Keep strong!

-Ryan
Old 05-11-2011, 07:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the warm welcomes!

Seth, no, I didn't think I could handle drinking again- I was pretty sure it would spin out of control quickly. Thankfully I got back to the program quickly. I drank because I looked at my life with almost 9 months sobriety and realized that the major issues that contributed to my drinking were still in my life ... so I thought why not drink. Now I realize all my quirks don't suddenly disappear when I stop drinking... I am still me...(what is that saying? where-ever I go, there I am) which is why, for me, working the steps is so important. I need that total psychic change.

I know I want sobriety, which is why it is always so surprising when I find myself relapsing.
But today I am sober...

Ryan- I consider 'normal' a 750ml bottle. Unfortunately for me, my standard was 1-2 of the 1.5l bottles.

Hope everyone has a great day!
SD
Old 05-11-2011, 07:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Home alone in the evenings was the most difficult time for me too.

I'm glad you're back and seeking support.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Glad you came back to the forum. It was interesting reading your post that you thought you might as well drink because nothing had changed. I relapsed after a few years of sobriety because everything HAD changed, and I thought "well, maybe now I can drink differently, too!" I guess this thing will get us any way it can....up, down, or sideways!
Old 05-11-2011, 06:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back...
Old 05-11-2011, 06:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome back!
Old 05-11-2011, 06:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you're back on the wagon again.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Shortest was last night, with just one normal sized bottle of wine.

This cracked me up too. My normal nightly bottle of wine was a half gallon jug of Carlo Rossi Sangria..After all..it was only a bottle! I know someone who is not an alcoholic because all he drinks is beer. A CASE A DAY! Anyway..glad you broke out of the cycle and joined us again! Good to hear from you..Wishing you the best.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
orangutan

Hi snowdog glad your here.