Notices

unwanted visitors

Old 05-10-2011, 06:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

unwanted visitors

I have not had any contact with people of my alcohol or unsuccessful recovery past for over 1.5 years. I now feel one of those persons is driving by my new home on a regular basis. The neighbor girl is very nervous and my son thinks it is very strange. They called the police today. What should I do?
I do not want to insert myself in this persons life, but I want to clear up the situation. The reason I chose to disconnect with people from the past is the possibilty of their relapse and their very unsupportive nature. In a way, I wonder if they are curious if I fell off the wagon.
SH
Old 05-10-2011, 06:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How would driving by prove your drinking or not? Why would the cops get involved? I think I'm missing a part of the story.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

my neighbors called the police because this car has been seen driving and turning aroung in front of my house five or six times an episode, four or five episodes. They are nervous. I guess I should be too, either robber or curious aquaintence. Maybe they are hoping to catch me outside. I don't know. My mind is just twirling.
SH
Old 05-10-2011, 06:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Are you sure this person is a past aquaintence? What did the police do when the neighbor called? Have the Jehovahs been in your neighborhood lately? Salemen?
Has this person actually 'done' anything for you to be suspicious?

I would say the best you could do is keep an eye on the situation. Technically, there isn't anything anyone can do about a car driving by repeatedly.
I had a PFA against my first husband because of abuse and even then nothing happened because he didn't actually 'do' anything. Just harrass. It was annoying but as long as no one got hurt they couldn't really do anything.
I would call the police, too -if it happens again. The more people that call the more the police may take it seriously.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

They haven't done anything suspicious except drive by and turn around a lot for about three weeks. I've seen it a couple times and just shrugged it off as someone looking for their dog but the kids have seen it a lot. The neighbors called because she has two young girls and they got really scared this time.
It never occured to me to call the police or to think about someone in my past looking for me. I don't like thinking this way but there is always the possibilty someone has gone back out and gotten a little crazy. I am not going to worry about this anymore and pray that the people I know are doing well and are at peace.
sh
Old 05-10-2011, 07:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That is strange. I would call the tag # in. Let us know what you find out.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

We don't have the tag number. I went outside to try and catch it and see the person, but no luck. I'll let you know, i guess I'll be gardening about that time tomorrow to see if it happens again. Maybe the police patrol ran them off.
SH
Old 05-10-2011, 07:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You need two large rottweillers with a sign that reads "they can make it to the fence in 3.5 seconds, can you?"
Old 05-10-2011, 08:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Too funny! No, it'll just be this skinny rottweiller charging the car next time I see it. I'm a little mama bear now that the girls are nervous.
SH
Old 05-10-2011, 08:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sending positive thoughts your way...but be careful....this sounds strange and not good
Old 05-10-2011, 08:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Cool intruder

Maybe its an ex, or maybe its just someone who is mistaken on who lives at your house? Man it could be so many things. See I am totally different I would have waved down the car by now and find out who or what the person wants? Especially if I had kids and they were scared, that's not okay at all.

Cops are so useless sometimes. I have called before and I was told something had to happen before they could do anything, like that makes a lot of sense.

If you can afford it go to one of those stores that sell spy stuff, and get a small camera and video tape the car then you can get the license.

I couldn't just forget about it, sometimes in this crazy mixed up world we have to be proactive.

Keep the faith

Last edited by newby1961; 05-10-2011 at 08:28 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-10-2011, 08:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm thinking don't approach, but have a cell phone with camera, or a camera, and just start snapping away. Would be good if they see you doing it (or the neighbors) - could be enough to just keep them away or make them think twice if they have plans.

Good luck.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I wouldn't go out and garden just to catch them..you don't wanna be a human decoy. The plate number is the best idea. You could also call the police department and ask them to do extra patrol. Tell them the situation and let them deal with it. If it were just you thinking it was creepy..I would ask if perhaps you were not being paranoid. I say this because I never EVER took the trash out in daylight when I was drinking. Didn't want the neighbors to see the empties. Now that I am sober I realize how ridiculous that was..it isn't like everyone is peering thru their blinds to catch me outside. BUT if your neighbors are creeped..then it is time to call for extra patrol. Won't hurt anything!
Old 05-10-2011, 09:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

They did call and we did get extra patrol. Yeah the thing that irritates me is I don't like feeling like this, it's the kind of warped, paranoid thoughts when you are unhealthy mentally and physically. Thank goodness I am healthy in recovery and it just goes to show you how much better you can deal with things sober.
SH
Old 05-11-2011, 01:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

update

I got the license plate and saw the person, nobody I recognize. Fits the description of creepy. The police did not say they were going to run the plate so I went to the park rangers. They will do it and get back to me.
SH
Old 05-11-2011, 01:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good job! I'm confused how the park ranger got involved...as long as you find out who/what these creeps are I guess it doesn't matter. Keep us updated!!
Old 05-11-2011, 01:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

well it's good that your first thoughts were unfounded..no one is trawling for you...but it's bad that the car is repeatedly cruising your neighborhood..with a creepy driver..sometimes we can tell if someone doesn't "fit" (think the Orkin commercial with the bug driving the old car).

my idea was to take the picture with your phone too....or digital camera with a time/date stamp...and be sure to double check your locks on the windows front and back...if you do not have a real alarm system, you can buy a very loud battery operated window or door lock...I also have the "fake TV" simulator. I swear you cannot tell it's not a real TV on from the back window.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good on you!!
Old 05-11-2011, 02:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Well what about if this person drops somebody off in your neighbourhood and then needs a drive way to turn around since he does not want to have to drive all the way down the street?
Old 05-11-2011, 03:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

update

The park ranger came by and said they can't run the plate either but they will stop the person when they see him. Their thoughts were that he was trolling the park looking for love. Apparently that is quite common. They took me seriously and are going to keep me posted.
sh