Opiate Abuse Scares

Old 05-10-2011, 02:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Opiate Abuse Scares

I have a friend that I'm concerned is using. Please help to answer these questions that I need advise on...

1. Can you inject Percocet?
2. What's the most common Opiate to inject?
3. Is it odd for a person to use the forearm as an injection site, rather than the inner spot where the elbow bends?
4. If someone is addicted to Percocet and is given Suboxone to wean off of it, how long does this usually take?
5. After using Suboxone to withdrawal from Percocet, would the person feel withdrawal symptoms from Suboxone? Or can they just stop taking Suboxone immediately?
6. Are swollen ankles a cause of opiate abuse?
7. Would a person be nodding off if taking Percocet? Or would this reaction be caused by a stronger opiate, like Heroine or Oxycontin?

I don’t want to accuse them of abusing a substance because I’m inexperienced when it comes to drugs. Please help to answer my questions and put my concerns at rest. I truly appreciate all the help and information I can get!
Old 05-10-2011, 03:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nodding off is common, like Anvilhead said, for all of the drugs you mentioned in the question. Suboxone can be helpful for those who are prescribed it in order to help them to drop the opiates. It is also addictive, extremely easy to abuse, and eventually requires a period of withdrawal to get off of. (Somehow my ex used to alternate abusing suboxone and opiates. To a lot of people, it doesn't seem to matter which drug is being used, so long as the craving to use is satisfied.) My BF just went through rehab in order to get off of it after several attempts at doing it himself. It wasn't pretty. The person you are asking about is using drugs. Unfortunately, it probably won't do you much good to accuse him of it. The best advice I've gotten here is to focus on YOU.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KerrieforLyle View Post
I have a friend that I'm concerned is using. Please help to answer these questions that I need advise on...

1. Can you inject Percocet? Yes
2. What's the most common Opiate to inject? Pick one/Pick them all. The substance does not matter.
3. Is it odd for a person to use the forearm as an injection site, rather than the inner spot where the elbow bends? NO
4. If someone is addicted to Percocet and is given Suboxone to wean off of it, how long does this usually take? Varies....many move on to abuse a different drug
5. After using Suboxone to withdrawal from Percocet, would the person feel withdrawal symptoms from Suboxone? Yes Or can they just stop taking Suboxone immediately? More likely they will return to their drug of choice.
6. Are swollen ankles a cause of opiate abuse? The belief that a substance will magically make all your probs go away is the cause of Opiate abuse.
7. Would a person be nodding off if taking Percocet? Or would this reaction be caused by a stronger opiate, like Heroine or Oxycontin? Yes to all.

I don’t want to accuse them of abusing a substance because I’m inexperienced when it comes to drugs. Please help to answer my questions and put my concerns at rest. I truly appreciate all the help and information I can get!
What would accusing accomplish? You have no influence/control over your friend's choices. You are not that powerful. None of us are.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by outtolunch View Post
What would accusing accomplish? You have no influence/control over your friend's choices. You are not that powerful. None of us are.
I am new to this whole recovery thing, but I don't see anything wrong with this person sharing their concerns with this individual. Sometimes someone can't see the darkness they've been living in until someone else turns the light on in the room. What the addict wants to do with what is exposed in the light is their own choice, but accusations and asking questions are not necessarily the same thing. You can share your concerns with someone you love without berating them. Blessings.