Dealing with the Aftermath of Emotional Abusive

Old 05-10-2011, 08:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dealing with the Aftermath of Emotional Abusive

As many of you know, I was in a mentally and emotionally abusive relationship for 7 years. I can safely say I was a codependent and an enabler. A year later, I am with a wonderful man who treats me the way I deserve to be treated. I know it is advised to wait to get into a relationship in a case like mine, but when you know, you know, and I know about this one. However, I know that I am still healing from the abuse of the past seven years. I picked up heavy pot smoking along the line and am now 35 days clean. Since I quit, I have been actually processing my emotions instead of suppressing them whenever I feel so much as a twinge of irritability. It irritates me to no end that the abuse I endured is affecting my thoughts and fears within my new, fulfilling relationship. I know that there are some things I have to get past, but I don't fully know how, or even what they are. How do people deal with the aftermath and change their thought patterns?
Old 05-10-2011, 08:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Therapy can help. It's good to get these things out so you can move forward and a trained therapist can help.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Congrats on the healthier life ! Good for you!

working the program of Al-Anon helped me along with SR, prayer with the God of my understanding, visiting with recovery friends and lots of healthy self-care!

wishing you the best -
PINK HUGS,
Rita
Old 05-10-2011, 05:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

congratulations on your 35 days. A lot of emotions can start coming out once you stop using a substance and maybe that's what is happening. Abuse can cause post traumatic stress disorder and maybe you are suffering from a bit of that?

I agree that working an Alanon program can really help a lot. I am struggling with the abuse that I have endured in my marriage and definitely see how it can continue to affect you. Counselinging has also helped me a lot.

Hope you'll stick around with us. Sending you warm thoughts!